Waiting it Out on Canadian Universities - 2012

NoMoreABD

Urgh - UBC MA Political Science results go out today (apparently) - some people have emailed them directly asking for results. I hate to admit it but I caved and asked. I haven't heard yet and am dying to know! Anyone on here that heard back?

Yeah, I was a jerk who emailed to ask (but only because I have a deadline for my second choice on Friday). Informal offer, but the grad director informed me that the official responses will go out probably today or tomorrow.

Waitlisted by York Environmental studies. email from program coordinator.

The PhD Admissions Committee met last week and was very impressed by your file.

Unfortunately, we can only admit one international PhD candidate. The number of excellent applicants made our choice a tough one.

However, the committee decided to place your file on a short waiting list of three candidates. Should the admitted candidate decline our offer of admission, the Admissions Committee will consider applicants on the waiting list. In addition, Dr. Roger Keil has enthusiastically accepted to serve as your interim advisor should you be accepted into the programme.

To facilitate your own planning, I wanted to pass on this information. Do not hesitate to contact me should you have further questions.

All the best for now.

My friends please decline your offer from York Environmental studies if you were accepted by other universities with better funding. I need this PhD program too much :)

Urgh - UBC MA Political Science results go out today (apparently) - some people have emailed them directly asking for results. I hate to admit it but I caved and asked. I haven't heard yet and am dying to know! Anyone on here that heard back?

Yeah, I was a jerk who emailed to ask (but only because I have a deadline for my second choice on Friday). Informal offer, but the grad director informed me that the official responses will go out probably today or tomorrow.

I e-mailed today and was told decisions will go out next week.

Noticed in the survey that someone got rejected from NPSIA. I wasn't really worrying about it because their website said they wouldn't start considering applications until the 15th, but now I'm on edge. Any information from people who have had correspondence with the school?

I just got rejected by UBC and Carleton... the first responses I hear back and they're BOTH rejections. I'm heartbroken. UBC is the one I thought I would go to.

I have UWO (2 programs, but 1 starts in May...) and Ryerson to hear back from. I'm really worried and I honestly don't think I'll get in anywhere now. I'm starting to second guess my choice of majors, and I have to start thinking of a back up plan. This really really sucks. I was sad, then mad, sad again.. and now I'm starting to process it all.

Anyone know what the rate of getting in to those 2 schools are or if there are stats per program?

I have to say, I heard bad things about the way UBC is run and who they admit...

Edited by laviola

Hi Laviola,

Care to share what are the things that you have heard about UBC?

Thank you

I've heard that they mostly cater to regional students (people from BC). They do offer some to OOP students, but from what I've heard, it's a lot harder to get in if you're not from there or a UBC undergrad student.

I didn't believe it before but everyone I know that applied there has been rejected, whereas far less qualified candidates from the area got in instead. I think I read something on their site that suggested that they do look into BC students first too, but I dismissed it.

The program I applied for is a lot of... older students, I've come to notice; seems they aren't as invested in youth for masters.

HOWEVER, I see you're from Singapore. If UBC is anything like UCLA, you're probably okay.. and I think it is.

Edited by laviola

Can't believe you got rejected from Carleton after getting into SFU and Ottawa! SFU is like the BEST school for comn.

Well, I am glad I got into SFU, because Carleton was my 2nd choice (but my application wasn't as strong, I did not contact POIs ahead of time, and I was just exhausted from all the other applications so I didn't customize my LOI). At Ottawa, I contacted a POI and "sold" him my research proposal, so that seems to have paid off. At SFU, since it's my undergrad, I had several strong recommendations as well as my research really fitting into line with some of the faculty's interests, so I think the lesson learned here (for my eventual PhD applications) is contact the POI, research the research culture of the university, and customize the proposal. I am interested to see what York/Ryerson Cm/Cult MA has to say, they were my #3 (not that it matters)!

Anyway, heard anything from your end yet? I know you are waiting on the York/Ryerson, so that should be out in a week... good luck, it sounds like the program to be in for Cmns in eastern canada, lot of SFU faculty did their PhDs or MAs there and they are usually really solid.

Well, I am glad I got into SFU, because Carleton was my 2nd choice (but my application wasn't as strong, I did not contact POIs ahead of time, and I was just exhausted from all the other applications so I didn't customize my LOI). At Ottawa, I contacted a POI and "sold" him my research proposal, so that seems to have paid off. At SFU, since it's my undergrad, I had several strong recommendations as well as my research really fitting into line with some of the faculty's interests, so I think the lesson learned here (for my eventual PhD applications) is contact the POI, research the research culture of the university, and customize the proposal. I am interested to see what York/Ryerson Cm/Cult MA has to say, they were my #3 (not that it matters)!

Anyway, heard anything from your end yet? I know you are waiting on the York/Ryerson, so that should be out in a week... good luck, it sounds like the program to be in for Cmns in eastern canada, lot of SFU faculty did their PhDs or MAs there and they are usually really solid.

i feel that contacting POI is extremely important but for some reason it's never openly talked about at least here in Canada. I attended various workshops on preparing for grad school applications and never heard a word on this. Anywho, congrats on getting into your first choice! I got into McMaster (which was my first choice), and I'm only waiting to hear from York. I did not apply widely just because I want to stay around in Southern Ontario, and I am glad that applying to just a few programs worked out for me. Is your funding great? And are you hoping to negotiate? I am wondering how that process works.

Edited by AH YES!

I've heard that they mostly cater to regional students (people from BC). They do offer some to OOP students, but from what I've heard, it's a lot harder to get in if you're not from there or a UBC undergrad student.

I didn't believe it before but everyone I know that applied there has been rejected, whereas far less qualified candidates from the area got in instead. I think I read something on their site that suggested that they do look into BC students first too, but I dismissed it.

The program I applied for is a lot of... older students, I've come to notice; seems they aren't as invested in youth for masters.

HOWEVER, I see you're from Singapore. If UBC is anything like UCLA, you're probably okay.. and I think it is.

I don't think I've ever responded to someone's post in the way that I'm about to, but I really can't stay quiet this time.

I'm truly sorry you've had some rejections, but your post reeks of stereotyping, and prejudice, and bitterness on so many levels. If you keep getting rejected, I'd suggest you take a look at the weaknesses of your own applications instead of looking to blame everyone and everything else around you.

Anyone heard from SFU MA Economics???

I e-mailed the Econ Grad Secretary twice asking for a status update/possible decision date but she never replied!

I know! what's up with them not replying emails, only takes a couple of minutes....

Noticed in the survey that someone got rejected from NPSIA. I wasn't really worrying about it because their website said they wouldn't start considering applications until the 15th, but now I'm on edge. Any information from people who have had correspondence with the school?

I had emailed the department to find out about decision dates and stuff, but was told to wait til the end of March for decisions. If the person who posted the result in the survey is reading this, do you know when they met? Thanks!

I was really looking forward to possibly going to UBC................but oh well. That's life.

The best you can do is make them regret they didn't take you right?

Edited by STG

I'm sorry for your rejection, but I think you're giving readers misleading information. I was accepted into the program you're referring to (UBC MA poli sci) and I am 21 and from Montreal. I see no reason why there would be an age/province bias. That would simply be to the detriment of the department, and I highly doubt that the acceptance committee would risk hindering their program based on arbitrary categories.

i feel that contacting POI is extremely important but for some reason it's never openly talked about at least here in Canada. I attended various workshops on preparing for grad school applications and never heard a word on this. Anywho, congrats on getting into your first choice! I got into McMaster (which was my first choice), and I'm only waiting to hear from York. I did not apply widely just because I want to stay around in Southern Ontario, and I am glad that applying to just a few programs worked out for me. Is your funding great? And are you hoping to negotiate? I am wondering how that process works.

Exactly, it's not something you hear much. One of my referees told me that it doesn't matter if you have a top GPA, as long as someone cannot recognize you or is willing to work with you, it will be to no avail.

Congrats on McMaster, I tried applying there (loved their split between the Media and Cmns sides of the same coin), but they refused to take my application, no honours BA (I am just too tired of undergrad to do one), but perhaps that's only what they said to me... either way, congrats.

My funding for SFU is solid (without going into details), I should be able to get by. Ottawa just sent me their funding offer today, a bit better than SFU's (I got a good scholarship in addition to the department regular funding), but still not worth it compared to SFU. Besides, as pretty as Ottawa can be, compared to Van, it'd be a bit boring (no offense, Ottawians!) :). York, we will see, eh.

To the people talking about UBC above. I have tons of friends from there, and many are international or from out of province, and the general belief is that UBC is now trying to attract more and more international students to help with funding (with the exorbitant fees they have to pay) as well as to diversify their student base. Some programs, though, such as Med. are a bit more locally targeted (they severely give preference to BC students)... again, this is all just from the students there, who knows if they are right.

I don't think I've ever responded to someone's post in the way that I'm about to, but I really can't stay quiet this time.

I'm truly sorry you've had some rejections, but your post reeks of stereotyping, and prejudice, and bitterness on so many levels. If you keep getting rejected, I'd suggest you take a look at the weaknesses of your own applications instead of looking to blame everyone and everything else around you.

I'm not blaming anyone, actually. I'm not even blaming the school. I'm not even really mad about it anymore. Everything happens for a reason, and I'm a firm believer of that.

However, are you really going to tell me schools don't ever have that kind of criteria for admissions? Much of the classes they've admitted in the past were either much older, or from the area, or both. I've had professors tell me of this, but I've always been so optimistic about the process that I always assumed they were just being cautious. The school I went to undergrad does this by often prioritizing francophone students, and it's blatantly obvious to anyone who goes there, including francophone students. The truth is, I actually had a professor tell me he would supervise me if I stayed at Ottawa U, but I didn't want to do the program there so I didn't even apply... but I had favouritism there based on having been a francophone (he even stated that was a factor) and being from the city. What makes you think UBC doesn't do the same thing? That's seriously so fucking funny that you honestly think they don't take that into consideration.

It really is naive to believe they assess everything on your application and merits. The application is actually rather meager, and isn't really enough to know your applicant - I would have been much more comfortable with an interview, especially for journalism of all things. A lot of it does come down to things you may find irrelevant or silly.

I don't even mind anymore, honestly. I was more so disappointed with being rejected to a program, not even the school itself anymore, because it means I have to reassess my goals. It is probably a blessing in disguise too, considering I really second-guessed the school and program. If anything, I could be thanking them graciously in a couple of years for forcing me into a different (and probably the right) path. Graduate school is no joke, I'm reassessing everything because of this process.

I'm sorry for your rejection, but I think you're giving readers misleading information. I was accepted into the program you're referring to (UBC MA poli sci) and I am 21 and from Montreal. I see no reason why there would be an age/province bias. That would simply be to the detriment of the department, and I highly doubt that the acceptance committee would risk hindering their program based on arbitrary categories.

I wasn't referring to that program; I was referring to UBC journalism. I've looked into their previous classes; they were mostly older than I am, and much more experienced. The program seems very suited to people who already have 10 years of experience and are looking to learn more (probably because they're unemployed), as these programs often are (and for the record - even their program descriptions state that).

There is a provincial bias the same way as there are state biases in the USA. California State universities are often much more Californian-biased, you really think Canada's that much of a rainbows-and-sunshine country that it doesn't do the same thing? Ontario universities often have lower rates for OOP for those reasons.

Edited by laviola

I'm not blaming anyone, actually. I'm not even blaming the school. I'm not even really mad about it anymore. Everything happens for a reason, and I'm a firm believer of that.

However, are you really going to tell me schools don't ever have that kind of criteria for admissions? Much of the classes they've admitted in the past were either much older, or from the area, or both. I've had professors tell me of this, but I've always been so optimistic about the process that I always assumed they were just being cautious. The school I went to undergrad does this by often prioritizing francophone students, and it's blatantly obvious to anyone who goes there, including francophone students. The truth is, I actually had a professor tell me he would supervise me if I stayed at Ottawa U, but I didn't want to do the program there so I didn't even apply... but I had favouritism there based on having been a francophone (he even stated that was a factor) and being from the city. What makes you think UBC doesn't do the same thing? That's seriously so fucking funny that you honestly think they don't take that into consideration.

It really is naive to believe they assess everything on your application and merits. The application is actually rather meager, and isn't really enough to know your applicant - I would have been much more comfortable with an interview, especially for journalism of all things. A lot of it does come down to things you may find irrelevant or silly.

I don't even mind anymore, honestly. I was more so disappointed with being rejected to a program, not even the school itself anymore, because it means I have to reassess my goals. It is probably a blessing in disguise too, considering I really second-guessed the school and program. If anything, I could be thanking them graciously in a couple of years for forcing me into a different (and probably the right) path. Graduate school is no joke, I'm reassessing everything because of this process.

I wasn't referring to that program; I was referring to UBC journalism. I've looked into their previous classes; they were mostly older than I am, and much more experienced. The program seems very suited to people who already have 10 years of experience and are looking to learn more (probably because they're unemployed), as these programs often are (and for the record - even their program descriptions state that).

There is a provincial bias the same way as there are state biases in the USA. California State universities are often much more Californian-biased, you really think Canada's that much of a rainbows-and-sunshine country that it doesn't do the same thing? Ontario universities often have lower rates for OOP for those reasons.

I'm sorry you are so angry that you feel you need to blame everyone (older mature students, those from within the provincial region, Asians... just to restate the people you DID stereotype and subsequently blame in your previous post), but I'm even more sorry that you don't seem to understand why I had a problem with your obvious prejudice. I'm not going to engage with you further in this conversation (if it can even be called that). I'll just reiterate that you really need to take a look at your own shortcomings in this regard. Once your personal anger has cleared, perhaps you'll be in a better position to understand what I'm trying to tell you (none of which has anything to do with being naive, or uninformed about how admissions work, or anything else erroneous you chose to take from my post).

I figured I should weigh in on this as a UBC grad who not only knows people currently in their program but is also aquantainces with some of their best profs. The UBC journalism program values high GPAs. Experience and all that helps, but I know for a fact that people who have almost no experience and yet have high GPAs make it in. I can't comment on whether there is regional preference, I never looked into that part. I imagine getting to know the POI offers advantages too (but that's always an advantage and never a guarantee).

As for the comment about taking grad school "seriously." Well.. yes. But you guys shouldn't only be looking at how to get IN the program, or WHO gets in the program, or WHAT the program is.... you should also consider what the program DOES. I can't stress this enough. I'll break it down for you from the research I did two years ago:

As for the type of program UBC does. It has a lot of vocational training and it also has scholarly training. Some of their profs are full-time journalists/editors and not very academic. You also do internships at UBC. It's kind of like Carleton in that regards. The other three Journalism schools you should consider are Western, Ryerson and Concordia: If you want more practical training look into Western and Ryerson and if you want more scholarly study of journalism then you should look into Concordia's Masters program. In fact, last I checked Concordia is the only school in all of Canada that provides a *purely* scholarly look into journalism (vocational training is only for the undergrads). What I mean by that is that at Concordia you don't do internships or any training, instead they require that you devote a year to complete a full on Masters thesis (so roughly speaking while UBC expects a ~30-50 page thesis by the end, Concordia requires a ~150-300 page thesis).

So there is a wide range in what type of experience you get depending on what type of journalism grad school you apply to. I'm not going to make any judgements, but if you're applying to schools simply because they're the "top school" and not because of what they actually DO there then you'll be in for a surprise (i.e at UBC you'll find yourself actually on the field running around practicing interviews while at Concordia you'll never pick up a voice-recorder because you're studying Habermas and Foucault) However, that may not be a bad thing if you don't really know what you want to do and are open to either/or.

Edited by steeloatmeal

Indeed. I definitely did look into the programs quite a bit, and the reason why I wasn't interested in Concordia's was because it was so theoretical, and I would rather do a practical, internship-based, program if it was down to journalism. I have applied for a different program as well, though, and at this point I'm leaning towards it. I feel as though perhaps coming back and re-applying in 5-7 years might have me be more successful. It's interesting you say they value high GPAs, because so much of the class is just so much more experienced in the workforce, and I feel as though perhaps their GPA didn't even have much to do with it. I've heard that, often in journalism, work experience is valued more, but UBC does definitely have high GPA standards.

And just to set the record straight - I wasn't even talking about Asians having it easier in general or that I blame "them". I'm half asian (with a completely Dutch name, I should add)... I have no idea how what I said was offensive? I know admin people at UCLA, they have said that when they look at international students, they indeed look for people/encourage admission for people from the Pacific region. I've been told similar things about the UBC, but who the hell really knows?

Edited by laviola