Waiting it Out on Canadian Universities - 2012

NoMoreABD

I'm so glad someone else posted this; I'm only being offered $5000 for first year. I wasn't expecting buckets of money, but really?! The decision is made tough, though, since it's such a good school. Is it possible for funding to change, as people accept/reject?

I just emailed to ask about funding, but do you know if that's in addition to a tuition waiver, or just a 5,000$ discount? Anyone else slightly worried about MA debt in face of massive fed. civil service cuts?

First of all, congratulations!!! that is huge! Second of all, if I were in your position, I think I would evaluate one more thing beyond money or prestige: what is it that you actually want to study? Ottawa U's program is definitely different than Carleton's so take a look at that and see what both programs offer in terms of classes, research opportunities, and how they all fit with your area of interest.

While money is very important, you may find that Carleton fits better with where you want your research to go. The same may happen with Ottawa U. While you may be dazzled by Carleton's prestige, you may find that Ottawa U offers you more in terms of being a more focused program in International Development. They seem to have courses that are more tailored to international development specifically while Carleton's are a bit more generic (this is from reading the course descriptions, so it is a subjective opinion, not the absolute truth!) Or you may find that Carleton's courses/possibilities for research are more closely aligned with what you're looking for and you may have to sacrifice money in that scenario...

I'd say take some time to look at your options and decide what you wanna do. Both programs are really strong and offer co-op opportunities and funding, so it's a matter of deciding what works best for you.

Good luck! and let us know what you decide on!

Thanks icarus99, I appreciate all the advice I can get. I have been looking at the course outlines and weighing my options. I did my undergrad at two universities and was dissapointed with both of their IDS programs, so I'm all the more stressed about this decision! 8 days to decide :)

I got an admit from SFU a couple of days back for MSc CS. Anyone else there ?

Congrats mate! I have not heard anything from SFU ... fingers crossed! having sleepless nights!....So did you get this news through email?

I assume that the funding package you are all speaking of (2000-5000) is the amount given to you by the DEPARTMENT via scholarship. Once the FGPA approves your admission, I am assuming they will contact you with the decisions regarding TAships and additional scholarships.

However, I have no verification for this statement and I could most definitely be incorrect.

Hopefully FGPA will offer more, but I heard about my TA position directly through NPSIA.

I was wait listed at York for the MA in Socio-Legal Studies. Has anyone heard back from U o T or Ottawa Criminology? I emailed both of them and they said my application is still under review.

Also anyone hear back for MIRHR from U of T?

I also applied to York's MA in Socio-Legal Studies + Criminology at UofT.... on the UofT website, it says "Decision Made" but I have not heard anything yet!!! Will probably be getting something in the mail soon. As for York - still says decision not made!!

I was wait listed at York for the MA in Socio-Legal Studies. Has anyone heard back from U o T or Ottawa Criminology? I emailed both of them and they said my application is still under review.

Hi nadirv26, I applied to both Criminology programs as well... and heard back from Ottawa U a few weeks ago. However I have yet to hear anything from UofT, although from what I've seen here it sounds like the decisions are starting to make their way out!

Hope you hear some good news soon!

Any word on the UVic MPA On Campus?

The results survey here shows someone received an acceptance March 16th for the MPA On Campus. That said, even though I've already accepted an offer from the U of C I haven't heard a peep from UVic (they never even confirmed they received all my documents via e-mail. All I know is my app was forwarded on MyStatus).

Hey, I also applied to U of T for MA in Criminology and SGS status changed last week from 'under review' to 'decision made', but have not received anything else! I will post if I hear any updates!

Good luck :)

Applied to MA in sociology at McMaster and U of Toronto. Got an acceptance email from McMaster about a week ago. Nothing yet from UofT. It is the last school I'm waiting to hear from. Website says "decision made," but tells me to wait for an email.

Applied to MA in sociology at McMaster and U of Toronto. Got an acceptance email from McMaster about a week ago. Nothing yet from UofT. It is the last school I'm waiting to hear from. Website says "decision made," but tells me to wait for an email.

Check your spam filter?

Anybody know what the probability is of getting accepted to NPSIA at Carleton if I were to apply now - during the second round offers? The website states the deadline is August 31, and consideration is subject to available space (after the first round). I emailed the school, but if anyone has a general sense of whether or not it's worth a shot to apply within the next two weeks, do let me know. Thanks!

Edited by paperdoorway