Waiting it Out on Canadian Universities - 2012

NoMoreABD

Oh yeah. Get a bunch of Canadian grad students together and you know there's gonna be a fight. Happens every time.

Hey wait, I take offense to that! Just kidding. Can we please keep the conversation relevant? PM each other if you need to talk at length. I thought something exciting had happened with all this posting!

When did I ever say I blamed Asians? When was blame ever brought into this? I don't need you telling me what I think or don't think.

Not to beat the issue to death, but you actually kind of did... "I see you're from Singapore..." or some such comment implies that they should have no trouble being admitted because of their assumed racialized identity.

Not to beat the issue to death, but you actually kind of did... "I see you're from Singapore..." or some such comment implies that they should have no trouble being admitted because of their assumed racialized identity.

He was talking about being an international student. And yes, grad programs LOVE international students because they bring in the $. There was no context of "race" there. Actually, the only racilization made was thinking Singapore has a "race" to be "racialized" ;) BOOM. Hahahaha not being aggressive just having some fun :)

Edited by DustSNK

Anybody got acceptance in one of the following programs for fall 2012 :

Simon Fraser - Masters of Computer Science.

Waterloo - MEng

Carleton - MCS

Windsor - M.Sc. in computer Science.

I've just emailed SFU about the Master in CS program, and the answer is "all results are sent via email by May".

Welcome Rogue029 and congrats on your applications so far! Very exciting!

We seem to have very similar discipline interests, judging by our app signatures (I'd be interested to know what department you applied to at U of T...)

I was accepted to York's PhD program in Socio-Legal Studies last week (York always phones, I love that!) I've got a few other offers and A LOT of thinking to do!

I did my MA in the SLST program at York in 2010. If you wanna PM me, I'd be happy to answer any questions that I can regarding the program (in particular, I'd like to hear what your research interests are and whom you have in mind as a propective supervisor, if you feel like sharing). Things have likely changed since I convocated, but I've stayed in touch with current faculty/students and can answer according to my experience, and that might help give you some context (to start, your feelings regarding the funding are likely accurate, I found it to be quite comfortable). I very much enjoyed my time in the program!

Congrats again and feel free to touch base!

Thanks surefire! It's great to make contact with others out there with similar discipline interests. Congrats on your acceptances so far as well... and good luck with the decision making process. I finally made mine today and it was not easy!! Especially having not heard back from all of my options. I was trying to wait and make an informed decision, but eventually figured why say no to my first choice? Seemingly perfect fit, great funding, small program, great reputation... I didn't want to overthink it anymore and drive myself crazy!

By the way, it was the Criminology MA at U of T I applied for. Still have not heard anything from them, but from what I understand UofT MA funding is pretty weak, and I think they are (overall) slightly more traditional discipline wise than I am looking for right now, so at this point I don't think an acceptance would make much of a difference to my decision (except perhaps to give me a bit of an ego boost! lol).

I have heard great things about the Socio-Legal Studies program, as well as York's faculty and atmosphere in general. And yes I LOVE that they call to tell you about the acceptance!! Admittedly I nearly dropped to the floor when I got the call. I will absolutely send you a message, any info you have on what the experience is like, or what to expect would be very helpful. I'm experiencing that combination of jubliant + "what the hell did I get myself into" feelings right now!

Anyways, again, thank you and good luck with your decision! Look forward to talking with you about the program!

Not lookin' good for me ...

Don't say that! There are many rounds of acceptances - a professor at my school told me that usually only 30% of the admitted students accept... Once some people turn their offers down, they'll send out more. No official rejection is good news. Good luck!

I'm not blaming anyone, actually. I'm not even blaming the school. I'm not even really mad about it anymore. Everything happens for a reason, and I'm a firm believer of that.

However, are you really going to tell me schools don't ever have that kind of criteria for admissions? Much of the classes they've admitted in the past were either much older, or from the area, or both. I've had professors tell me of this, but I've always been so optimistic about the process that I always assumed they were just being cautious. The school I went to undergrad does this by often prioritizing francophone students, and it's blatantly obvious to anyone who goes there, including francophone students. The truth is, I actually had a professor tell me he would supervise me if I stayed at Ottawa U, but I didn't want to do the program there so I didn't even apply... but I had favouritism there based on having been a francophone (he even stated that was a factor) and being from the city. What makes you think UBC doesn't do the same thing? That's seriously so fucking funny that you honestly think they don't take that into consideration.

It really is naive to believe they assess everything on your application and merits. The application is actually rather meager, and isn't really enough to know your applicant - I would have been much more comfortable with an interview, especially for journalism of all things. A lot of it does come down to things you may find irrelevant or silly.

I don't even mind anymore, honestly. I was more so disappointed with being rejected to a program, not even the school itself anymore, because it means I have to reassess my goals. It is probably a blessing in disguise too, considering I really second-guessed the school and program. If anything, I could be thanking them graciously in a couple of years for forcing me into a different (and probably the right) path. Graduate school is no joke, I'm reassessing everything because of this process.

I wasn't referring to that program; I was referring to UBC journalism. I've looked into their previous classes; they were mostly older than I am, and much more experienced. The program seems very suited to people who already have 10 years of experience and are looking to learn more (probably because they're unemployed), as these programs often are (and for the record - even their program descriptions state that).

There is a provincial bias the same way as there are state biases in the USA. California State universities are often much more Californian-biased, you really think Canada's that much of a rainbows-and-sunshine country that it doesn't do the same thing? Ontario universities often have lower rates for OOP for those reasons.

Haha - comical. I was hoping some serious discussion was happening here...

Just a thought - but perhaps they accept 'older' students because they have some relavent experience and *dare I say* are likely more mature (read: unlikely to go on some crazy rant blaming their rejection on anything and everything besides the state/relavence/desirability of their own qualifications...).

You're right...if only they had met you in person. Sigh.

You will be fine.

Don't say that! There are many rounds of acceptances - a professor at my school told me that usually only 30% of the admitted students accept... Once some people turn their offers down, they'll send out more. No official rejection is good news. Good luck!

Agreed - if I get into McGill for their MA Geography, I will likely be declining UBC - if not, I will accept. I am sure there are lots of people who are still up in the air! It's not too late.

Edited by waitingandhoping

There is always hope until they actually get back to you. Don't count your chickens before they either do or do not hatch... that sounded better in my head I think.

Ok, I know I've asked this before but I have to ask again. Is there anyone with anyone who has applied or has any kind of acceptance for a PhD at U of T's Faculty of Information? Like I've said before, I've only met one other person on these forums who has even applied and I feel very much like I'm in limbo as I don't even know if the first round of decisions were even released or not. I only heard that the decision *may* be made at the end of the month. My applications were prepared on January 15th (exactly 2 months ago) and I'm just as clueless as I was back then on where I stand.

So I finally heard back from U of T, but I'm really confused by the email they sent me.

I was told that I was on the waiting list, but that the committee was still reviewing applications and the final list wouldn't be ready until the first week of April. How can I be on the waiting list if the final decisions haven't even been established yet?

Can any one explain to me what's going on?

So I finally heard back from U of T, but I'm really confused by the email they sent me.

I was told that I was on the waiting list, but that the committee was still reviewing applications and the final list wouldn't be ready until the first week of April. How can I be on the waiting list if the final decisions haven't even been established yet?

Yeah that is odd. How did you find out you're on the waiting list did you email and ask? Was it from the POI or the committee? I haven't even gotten an email.

Yeah that is odd. How did you find out you're on the waiting list did you email and ask? Was it from the POI or the committee? I haven't even gotten an email.

I finally broke down and emailed the admissions officer.

I'm not completely sure, but at the Western program (where I did my masters) they automatically accept all students into the PhD program who have an 85% average. My only guess is that U of T does the same thing and we are stuck waiting for them to sort that out.

Edited by history_reader

My guess, from having been on an adcomm, is that they've mostly established everyone's designation, but they're still ranking. In my experience, adcomms members independently assemble a list of people they'd like to admit and then everyone gets together to compare notes. This part doesn't take so long (remember, this is a group of people largely accustomed to working independently). What takes a long time is the next step, when all the members come together to arrive at a consensus. There is usually quite a bit of overlap regarding which applicants were picked, but then, each must be ranked, and everyone needs to mostly agree to the rankings. Then they need to do it again for a wait-list. This needs to happen for purposes of funding and so that, when a few people invariably turn down some of the first-round offers, new offers can be extended without everyone having to be gathered again to make decisions. It's easier if the adcomms cover their bases and agree upon the ranking of a few dozen applicants (even if, for example, they only put out 14 initial offers, officially wait-list 10 and ultimately accept 12). I think that my adcomm ranked up to number 30, even though less than half of the list was ultimately utilized..

I know that it doesn't seem like it, because the waiting and subterfuge surrounding the process are so tortuous, but adcomms would like to have decisions made ASAP too so that they can confirm the composition of their cohort. The long meeting periods are ultimately to ensure that the process doesn't break down. It's really difficult to get adcomm members in the same room, especially for a series of meetings that requires consensus and, thus, will just take however long they take. They have other commitments, and the discussions are long and intense, when they're done, they need to know that they are DONE so they can commit to other stuff. It would be nearly impossible to KEEP gathering them together to meet in that manner, so they try to make/finalize as many decisions as they can so that the grad administrator can keep moving on the offers (so that when a first-round offer is declined and the first few wait-list people also decline because they've already accepted other offers, the next name on the list is right there!)

I hope that makes sense! And though it doesn't necessarily point to your own status, I hope that the insight would be little comforting, as it illustrates that the process is thorough and purposeful (which, I know, we sometimes can't help but doubt)!

Good luck!

Edited by surefire

yes I did apply to SFU, UBC, and San Diego State. No word from either of them.

waiting on UBC to, probably like most. looks like last two years offers came out around march 16-19 by the results survey. good luck.

Edited by flimsyb