Waiting it Out on Canadian Universities - 2012

NoMoreABD

Anyone heard from SFU MA Economics???

I e-mailed the Econ Grad Secretary twice asking for a status update/possible decision date but she never replied!

Hi timssonkz! have you heard back from SFU yet? I heard back from them yesterday (16th) that I got in.

Good Luck!

Hi timssonkz! have you heard back from SFU yet? I heard back from them yesterday (16th) that I got in.

Good Luck!

Hey, akyl, congratulations!

Nope, I didn't hear anything. Hopefully I'll hear smth. this coming week. I guess they mail out offers to the strongest candidates first. Am I mistaken?

I'll PM you if you don't mind.

Got acceptance to UOttawa's MA in Globalization and International Development. Anyone else out there???

Me too! Still waiting on NPSIA, but I'd be happy with either program :)

This NPSIA wait is killing me. It's my no. 1 choice, but it's getting difficult to plan without knowing!

Based on how competitive I keep hearing it is, I'm really trying not to get my hopes up!

Based on how competitive I keep hearing it is, I'm really trying not to get my hopes up!

And 20 minutes later... just got an acceptance email for NPSIA International Affairs MA! Well, recommended and fowarded to FGPA for final approval at least! And now, fingers crossed for funding :)

Congrats wjm252, got the same email from NPSIA! It's pretty much means acceptance though, I'm assuming?

Thanks, you too! I'm pretty sure it is as good as a final acceptance, I can't think of why the FGPA would turn you down after the faculty has approved your application.

Hi All, just got the email from NPSIA as well...looks like I still need to wait to hear back for 'final approval' but it is promising! It would be great to chat to those who are all in the same boat...

also... if anyone could comment on Carleton's program vs. Ottawa's ..please do. I'm from out west--never visited either school nor know of anyone who has attended either program. Any thoughts/comments would be really appreciated! :)

Hi All, just got the email from NPSIA as well...looks like I still need to wait to hear back for 'final approval' but it is promising! It would be great to chat to those who are all in the same boat...

also... if anyone could comment on Carleton's program vs. Ottawa's ..please do. I'm from out west--never visited either school nor know of anyone who has attended either program. Any thoughts/comments would be really appreciated! :)

Congrats! I couldn't make it to either open house this year, but the impression I got was that Carleton's program is more exclusive and much more focused on international affairs then University of Ottawa. Obviously in terms of clusters, U Ottawa only has an "international affairs" or "public affairs" whereas Carleton had much more extensive cluster offerings. They are super similar in a lot of ways, they both have co-op and similar credit structure. University of Ottawa is set right next to the Byward market and downtown and Carleton's about a 15 minute drive from Parliament/market/downtown. I guess it depends what you are looking to focus on for the next two years of your life!

I've never been to Ottawa either, but the UOttawa Globalization and Dev't studies program seems quite different than NPSIAs IA program, even if you applied for the international dimensions of development stream (as I did). Check out the required course descriptions to compare! If NPSIA offers comparable funding I think I'll end up there.

I've never been to Ottawa either, but the UOttawa Globalization and Dev't studies program seems quite different than NPSIAs IA program, even if you applied for the international dimensions of development stream (as I did). Check out the required course descriptions to compare! If NPSIA offers comparable funding I think I'll end up there.

Ksalsera, I'm from Ottawa and studied InDev in my undergrad. I'm mixed and can't say anything too specific about the grad program, but what I feel comfortable saying is:

- it is still relatively new, although I know many bumps have been ironed out since it got started ~5 years ago

- The professors at Ottawa U are very well connected to the NGO and government world, but I suspect Carleton wouldn't be that different

- NPSIA is more prestigious, locally-speaking (this is my interpretation based on knowing folks who did both programs)

- Ottawa U is downtown which is pretty convenient, but Carleton's campus is much prettier and has more greenspace. I feel like it's a bit more of a community as well.

That may not be helpful but feel free to ask any other questions if you just want some insight from an Ottawa native :)

Edited by heneyka

-York's PhD in Political Science-

the decisions were made by the committee. If have not heard anything yet, this means you were not accepted. They accepted only 1 international student. This is Xenaphobia. What a bad situation.

Lol there is no Xenophobia! Almost all departments can only accept max 2 international students. Reason being is that they have a limited amount of funding and when you are accepted they give you a special international scholarship to offset the high tuition. I'm an international student, and have spoke to several departments in Ontario. Lesson learned: If they can't give funding they don't like to accept students without it. Problem for international students is that this semi creates a special pool of applicants fighting over 2 spots, not say 10-15 spots. VERY competitive. I've been accepted into 2 programs and the international scholar ship they offer is a lot of $ so I understand why they have to limit their intake.

Lol there is no Xenophobia! Almost all departments can only accept max 2 international students. Reason being is that they have a limited amount of funding and when you are accepted they give you a special international scholarship to offset the high tuition. I'm an international student, and have spoke to several departments in Ontario. Lesson learned: If they can't give funding they don't like to accept students without it. Problem for international students is that this semi creates a special pool of applicants fighting over 2 spots, not say 10-15 spots. VERY competitive. I've been accepted into 2 programs and the international scholar ship they offer is a lot of $ so I understand why they have to limit their intake.

İf there were two spots most probably I woul be accepted into one of the programs that I applied since I am the top candidate on the waiting list. However, in this case, York Political Science says on the website they can admit 2 to 6 international students but they admitted only one. This is still Xenaphobia.

Edited by foucaultmania