Waiting it Out on Canadian Universities - 2012

NoMoreABD

Did anyone apply to the joint program in Geography between University of Waterloo and Wilfrid Laurier University and heard from them yet?

I am yet to hear from them. Could somebody please tell whether is it normal for decisions to be made in April?

anyone got conditional offers saying acceptance based on the condition that you complete honours undergraduate degree with a upper second class standing? I'm really worried about the upper second class standing part. I'm worried that I'm going to screw up the final term and my overall average drops below B+

anyone got conditional offers saying acceptance based on the condition that you complete honours undergraduate degree with a upper second class standing? I'm really worried about the upper second class standing part. I'm worried that I'm going to screw up the final term and my overall average drops below B+

That's a pretty standard clause if you have yet to graduate. The minimum to apply/be accepted is typically a B+. It might not be overall gpa, though. Some schools count their minimum from the last year of courses, last two years of courses, or overall gpa. The B+ may be in one of those categories (in last year) as opposed to overall..

In any case, best of luck! You're almost done :D

Last year I got my official letter in late October from York. It was awful. I know this year if I haven't heard by April 15th, its a no.

Behold, evidence of the always popular, negatively connotated expression: "I got York-ed".

In all seriousness, that letter situation is every level of suck; I hope that it goes better for you this round!

that is discouraging. I have had a couple of courses taken in the last two years of my study and gotten 50s. now that economics department have accepted me I'm now really worried that I would be rejected by graduate studies...

That's a pretty standard clause if you have yet to graduate. The minimum to apply/be accepted is typically a B+. It might not be overall gpa, though. Some schools count their minimum from the last year of courses, last two years of courses, or overall gpa. The B+ may be in one of those categories (in last year) as opposed to overall..

In any case, best of luck! You're almost done :D

that is discouraging. I have had a couple of courses taken in the last two years of my study and gotten 50s. now that economics department have accepted me I'm now really worried that I would be rejected by graduate studies...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I highly doubt that the dept of graduate studies would reject you based on having a few poor grades. Generally their baseline standards are lower than the departments themselves, and the point of running it by grad studies is so that they can do a background check/make sure that you're going to graduate on time etc. You applied to essentially the two top econ departments in the country, and if they accepted you, I'm sure there won't be a problem with grad studies.

If anyone is still waiting on SFU Economics , I called them up last night. The Graduate Secretary told me that they are about to start 2nd round of admissions, she doesn't have the list of applicant yet, however she said if I don't hear anything by Mid April that probably means that I'm rejected.

There's a hope.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I highly doubt that the dept of graduate studies would reject you based on having a few poor grades. Generally their baseline standards are lower than the departments themselves, and the point of running it by grad studies is so that they can do a background check/make sure that you're going to graduate on time etc. You applied to essentially the two top econ departments in the country, and if they accepted you, I'm sure there won't be a problem with grad studies.

I don't know about all departments, but I know that the minimum requirements at the 3 I applied to must be met after graduating. In other words, you may be above the minimum when you apply and be accepted by a conditional offer, however you have to maintain above that point in order to be accepted in the end. It isn't fair to accept some people because their grades were high enough 4 months before graduation but refuse others outright for not achieving the minimum gpa. Conditional offers typically mean you need to meet that condition - grades above the minimum - in order for the offer to stand.

Ran the question by graduate assistance today and she told me basicly the same thing. Guess I will just try to forget about this for a while and concentrate on the finals for now. GL to everyone with their exams btw!

For those still waiting on UVic's MPA on campus I received word today and they asked me to reply by the 16th. I anticipiate either you'll be hearing today or very soon if you've been accepted and waitlisted/rejected applciants will be informed shortly after the 16th.

I see an acceptance (on the results survey section) to University of British Columbia's Master of Science, mechanical engineering program today.

I wonder when UBC will make decisions on the Master of Engineering, Mechanical Engineering professional program?

I see an acceptance for Master of Eng, Mechanical Engineering program, University of British Columbia in the results page. I wonder how the lucky person is.. care to share your acceptance experience here?

I've applied for the same Masters program and has yet to hear back from them. This doesn't sound too good for me...

Has anyone heard anything from U of T's MPP program? My status still hasn't changed from Under Review, and there hasn't been much activity for the program on the results survey.

Have rejections gone out?

Does anyone know when acceptances MAY roll out if they haven't already??

I think I read somewhere on the forums that they doubled the program size, could this be a cause as to why notifications are taking longer??! (or was I dreaming?:P)

At this point I feel my chances look grim.. Does anyone know anything??? :wacko: >__<

Edited by RKS

Has anyone heard anything from U of T's MPP program? My status still hasn't changed from Under Review, and there hasn't been much activity for the program on the results survey.

Have rejections gone out?

Does anyone know when acceptances MAY roll out if they haven't already??

I think I read somewhere on the forums that they doubled the program size, could this be a cause as to why notifications are taking longer??! (or was I dreaming? :P)

At this point I feel my chances look grim.. Does anyone know anything??? :wacko: >__<

RKS - I was the one who said that the class size has gotten increased. From what I hear now, it hasn't been quite doubled, but is nonetheless significantly larger than last year. I know acceptances started rolling out the first week of March, and the rejections dates were end of March or early April for those accepted in the first round. They are notoriously slow. You should call Anita, her number is on the website. She will likely be able to help you. I know of quite a few people who got offers and rejected them, don't lose hope yet.

I phoned Anita, and she said nothing to me, she said she would be on the look out and acceptances for second round went on last Wednesday. I don't plan on going anyways, as I have chosen to do an academic masters instead! But good luck to all those waiting! Keep your head up :)