Waiting it Out on Canadian Universities - 2012

NoMoreABD

Hi Stephanie,

The YorkU MSW rejections that were sent out late January were from the office of admissions. They were going through each application making sure they met the minimum requirements before sending them off to the Faculty of Social Work. There's still a long wait left. I know someone who found out she was on the wait list in late March/early April, but it wasn't confirmed until May.

Yes, I agree with this. I received a rejection from York at the end of January and it was due to a minimum requirement missing. I have no doubt that my application never made it to the admissions committee for formal review. If you meet all requirements then you can expect to hear back as per the dept timeline.

I have a bit of a dilemma, I've applied for graduate program in both Western Ontario and University of Toronto.

I haven't heard back from Toronto yet, but last week I received an offer from Western. I have to make my decision for Western by next week. Is this common? It seems early to have to make my mind up. I think I'd prefer to go to Toronto if I received an offer from them - however I'd feel like an idiot if I turned down my offer from Western only to be rejected from Toronto. If anyone has any advice, it'd be great..

I have a bit of a dilemma, I've applied for graduate program in both Western Ontario and University of Toronto.

I haven't heard back from Toronto yet, but last week I received an offer from Western. I have to make my decision for Western by next week. Is this common? It seems early to have to make my mind up. I think I'd prefer to go to Toronto if I received an offer from them - however I'd feel like an idiot if I turned down my offer from Western only to be rejected from Toronto. If anyone has any advice, it'd be great..

I think, in your place, I would phone U of T and tell them my dilemma. They might have made a decision already and could just let me know, or it could push them to decide. Just explain that you have a deadline but you would prefer to go to Toronto because of X professor's research or dep't size or what have you. Both compliment and push.

Hope that helps.

Congratulations on Western, by the way.

Edited by obrera

I'm waiting to hear back from the University of Alberta. Stressful. The website says that I'm missing a ton of things.. statement, resume, LORs but I know this isn't the case. Damn geoscience departments are too laid back. I want my results! lol

Well, heard back from my first school today. Dalhousie has me waitlisted for their philosophy MA. I have a few other schools I'm waiting to hear back from, so I guess at least making a waitlist bodes... kind of sorta well? :/

Edited by Aerobe

Marshall - my application said it was missing tons of stuff too online - but for my department (english) they notified us when the deadline hit saying if we were REALLY missing stuff (which naturally I was - all my references as my other Uni are apparently useless) - Hope you get in too!

Well, heard back from my first school today. Dalhousie has me waitlisted for their philosophy MA. I have a few other schools I'm waiting to hear back from, so I guess at least making a waitlist bodes... kind of sorta well? :/

Wow already? The deadline was Jan 31st, correct? that is very quick

Yeah, I thought so too! They e-mailed me just last week requesting a more recent transcript -- since the one I sent with the application wasn't able to have the Fall session grades on it.

I just wish they gave me an indication of my ranking, or even what size the pool is... but we'll see.

Meanwhile Carleton apparently wants two writing samples instead of one, so I've got that to throw together before their March deadline. How did I miss that?

Has anyone applied to any music departments? I am looking to get my MA in Ethnomusicology. I have applied to UBC, U of A, York, U of T, and Memorial. My online application status for each school is either "decision pending" or "received." AH!

Waiting on three applications

UBC Zoology - deadline was Feb 1

UofT EEB - deadline was Jan 15th

U. New Brunswick Biology - always accepting applications, submitted mine Jan 15th

If any one hears from these programs, please post!

I've applied to 8 schools, so far have been rejected by SFU for clinical-forensic psychology. Have any clinical MA psych applicants heard anything from other unis?

Best of luck to all of you!! :)

Edited by Jup

One of my friends has already been accepted for her PhD in Poli Sci at Concordia, foucaultmania, so I'm hoping you'll hear back really soon.

I'm in the same boat as you, Aerobe: one waitlist, haven't heard anything else back. Hard to know what to think, but at least it's not getting waitlisted by your top choice at the last possible minute!

One of my friends has already been accepted for her PhD in Poli Sci at Concordia, foucaultmania, so I'm hoping you'll hear back really soon.

I'm in the same boat as you, Aerobe: one waitlist, haven't heard anything else back. Hard to know what to think, but at least it's not getting waitlisted by your top choice at the last possible minute!

Really, how it happened because the person said me that the committee has met last week on wednesday and on thursday. They are doing last "yes/no" process. It is very interesting, indeed it is not my top choice.

I just got an unofficial acceptance from UBC for music theory (PhD). Stoneg, I'm sure you will hear from them soon as well! They have crummy funding though. I was "one of a small number" of PhD applicants who was offered funding and it's not exactly amazing... $3500/year, only for the first two years. Before tuition!

I just got an unofficial acceptance from UBC for music theory (PhD). Stoneg, I'm sure you will hear from them soon as well! They have crummy funding though. I was "one of a small number" of PhD applicants who was offered funding and it's not exactly amazing... $3500/year, only for the first two years. Before tuition!

"$3500/year, only for the first two years. Before tuition!" What is that? a joke? I cant believe how can a phd student survive with this funding?

"$3500/year, only for the first two years. Before tuition!" What is that? a joke? I cant believe how can a phd student survive with this funding?

I know, right?? From the email: "I am also pleased to be able to initially offer you [...] $3,500 per year. You will need to cover tuition costs, which in 2011–2012 were $4,264 per academic year. Please also note that you are eligible to apply for a Teaching Assistantship (TA) [...] Some members of our faculty may be able to offer you Research Assistant (RA) position(s) as well."

LOL!!!