Who's Applying for Fall 2012? Where are you Applying?

litjust

How nice to find a community of future education PhDs!! I am applying to the following schools for human development/developmental psych/educational psych:

Vanderbilt

Michigan

Penn

Stanford

WashU

Northwestern

Wisconsin - Madison

Chicago

i'm both nervous and excited (probably more nervous than anything) but it is nice to have a place to discuss these feelings with other people who are going through the same process. @litjust, i'm glad to hear you had a great experience at uw - madison as i'm visiting in january. was gloria ladson-billings the critical race theory/multicultural ed rockstar you mentioned in your post? she is amazing!!! i'm going back and forth about whether to visit schools in advance of being accepted in to the program. i'd like to hear other people's thoughts on this matter. i wish you all the best of luck!

On 12/28/2011 at 11:34 AM, erbrown said:

How nice to find a community of future education PhDs!! I am applying to the following schools for human development/developmental psych/educational psych:

Vanderbilt

Michigan

Penn

Stanford

WashU

Northwestern

Wisconsin - Madison

Chicago

i'm both nervous and excited (probably more nervous than anything) but it is nice to have a place to discuss these feelings with other people who are going through the same process. @litjust, i'm glad to hear you had a great experience at uw - madison as i'm visiting in january. was gloria ladson-billings the critical race theory/multicultural ed rockstar you mentioned in your post? she is amazing!!! i'm going back and forth about whether to visit schools in advance of being accepted in to the program. i'd like to hear other people's thoughts on this matter. i wish you all the best of luck!

I love your list of schools! Yes, GLB is the rockstar I mentioned and she is so warm and kind!! Everyone in Curriculum & Instruction was helpful. Plus, people in Madison were nice in general. It seems like a wonderful city. I think you should visit! The thought never crossed my mind until my former advisor suggested that I visit prior to applying or being accepted, just to get a better feel for the programs. Since you have so many schools, maybe you would reserve your visits for your top choices(?) since it can add up. And, even if we don't get accepted, at least we got a fun trip out of the deal ;)

I'm applying to Harvard's AIE M.Ed program. Just finishing up my final draft of the SOP and resume. My GRE score wasn't too great but I'm hoping my ten years of work experience running a non-profit will help swing things a bit in my favor. It's a great program--have met with current students, admission counselors, the program Dean, as well as the open house a couple of months ago. They have such a great community there--if I get in great--if not, then I guess it's not meant to be!

Best wishes to everyone applying!

I love your list of schools! Yes, GLB is the rockstar I mentioned and she is so warm and kind!! Everyone in Curriculum & Instruction was helpful. Plus, people in Madison were nice in general. It seems like a wonderful city. I think you should visit! The thought never crossed my mind until my former advisor suggested that I visit prior to applying or being accepted, just to get a better feel for the programs. Since you have so many schools, maybe you would reserve your visits for your top choices(?) since it can add up. And, even if we don't get accepted, at least we got a fun trip out of the deal ;)

GLB is definitely changing how we think about "at - risk youth." I saw a talk she gave some time in 2009...like I said before, amazing! To your other point, I have heard a number of stories from people about changing their top choices for PhD programs based upon campus visits. It makes the most sense so I'll figure out a plan. Thanks for the advice and tidbit of wisdom about Madison

I'm applying for the Fall of 2012 to Special Education PhD programs. I've only submitted to two--Vanderbilt (Peabody) and the University of Oregon. I've had some great phone conversations with three professors from Vandy already (everyone has been really nice and informative and generous with their time) but I've had a harder time communicating with Oregon--I think the two Universities have really different admissions procedures. I felt great about how everything was going (it sounds like I'll at least get invited to the recruitment/interview weekend at Vandy)... up until the moment when I hit the submit button on my applications. Then, I started second guessing everything, including wondering if I should have applied to more programs. Lots of obsessive googling and email checking. I'm just hoping the waiting gets easier as time goes on.

I'm applying for the Fall of 2012 to Special Education PhD programs. I've only submitted to two--Vanderbilt (Peabody) and the University of Oregon. I've had some great phone conversations with three professors from Vandy already (everyone has been really nice and informative and generous with their time) but I've had a harder time communicating with Oregon--I think the two Universities have really different admissions procedures. I felt great about how everything was going (it sounds like I'll at least get invited to the recruitment/interview weekend at Vandy)... up until the moment when I hit the submit button on my applications. Then, I started second guessing everything, including wondering if I should have applied to more programs. Lots of obsessive googling and email checking. I'm just hoping the waiting gets easier as time goes on.

I'm right there with you. I only applied to 3 and I have thoughts about other programs, even though I'm happy with my three choices. Good luck to you :)

GLB is definitely changing how we think about "at - risk youth." I saw a talk she gave some time in 2009...like I said before, amazing! To your other point, I have heard a number of stories from people about changing their top choices for PhD programs based upon campus visits. It makes the most sense so I'll figure out a plan. Thanks for the advice and tidbit of wisdom about Madison

If you go, erbrown, please let me know about your visit!

Bythesea, I wish I could tell you! I only really know about the Special Ed PhD, and then I only know what I can extrapolate from my experience. I bet the process is pretty different between departments and VERY different between Masters and PhD programs.

Finally, the first word from any of my schools since app submission! Having emailed a professor earlier into the season to inquire about a suitable fit in a certain track, I was contacted by his secretary to schedule a time to call and talk. Not exactly if this is an interview or otherwise, but happy to have a little interaction. Scheduled to speak Monday afternoon--nerves are already a-buzzing.

Does anyone know much of whether or not their programs are interviewing?

Best of luck to all of you!

Finally, the first word from any of my schools since app submission! Having emailed a professor earlier into the season to inquire about a suitable fit in a certain track, I was contacted by his secretary to schedule a time to call and talk. Not exactly if this is an interview or otherwise, but happy to have a little interaction. Scheduled to speak Monday afternoon--nerves are already a-buzzing.

Does anyone know much of whether or not their programs are interviewing?

Best of luck to all of you!

Congrats, dispositif!!! Any form of interaction seems like a positive sign to me! Only one of my programs does formal interviews on campus, but I think the others do more informal interviews. Good luck, but don't be nervous. You'll have a wonderful convo :)

What school?

Congrats, dispositif!!! Any form of interaction seems like a positive sign to me! Only one of my programs does formal interviews on campus, but I think the others do more informal interviews. Good luck, but don't be nervous. You'll have a wonderful convo :)

What school?

Thanks litjust! Illinois Urbana-Champaign.

Who has had interviews for USC's PhD Urban Education Policy? Do they contact everyone that they are considering? Any information?

EKJ, don't worry, it wasn't a phone interview. One of those two people on the results page was me. The other person seems to have the exact same situation/message I got. You're not missing out on much. But we should be hearing from professors in the next few weeks, which is what really counts. Good luck!

USC PhD: It's happening!!! Contacted by a professor today, phone interview Saturday. It's happening!!! :D

Congrats!!!!!!!! I was offered admission today from MSU, but I still have to wait for info on fellowships. So, totally keeping fingers crossed. They're going to fly me in for a visit though :D this is exciting!

Congrats!!!!!!!! I was offered admission today from MSU, but I still have to wait for info on fellowships. So, totally keeping fingers crossed. They're going to fly me in for a visit though :D this is exciting!

Hooray litjust! That's amazing! CONGRATULATIONS!!! You can start to breathe now! :) I'm so happy for you :D

Hooray litjust! That's amazing! CONGRATULATIONS!!! You can start to breathe now! :) I'm so happy for you :D

Thank you!! I'm happy for you. I suspect a phone interview for you on Sat followed by your offer on Sat ... or Monday B) You totally have this in the bag :)