DONE. Ugh. Anyone else done?

Don't worry, Mistral, no one's December writing samples were polished, no matter how much we polished them. No one's SOPs were focused enough, even though I re-wrote mine 8 times.

Don't forget that you have lingered over every single word, and ad comms are blowing through hundreds of samples and reading them with that level of attention.

In the end, some of us will get in and some of us won't, but NONE of us will know why things worked out the way they did.

Don't worry, Mistral, no one's December writing samples were polished, no matter how much we polished them. No one's SOPs were focused enough, even though I re-wrote mine 8 times.

Don't forget that you have lingered over every single word, and ad comms are blowing through hundreds of samples and reading them with that level of attention.

In the end, some of us will get in and some of us won't, but NONE of us will know why things worked out the way they did.

This.

The process is unfortunately inherently absurd. How can you explain a discipline that is arranged increasingly around the premise that language is referential and inherently meaningless, yet each year, university faculty awards 10-20 prized positions to people they've never met based on 10-20 pages of your writing, your test scores and your transcripts, which are pulled out of a pile of other applications, which only seems to grow larger each year?

Edited by Grunty DaGnome

I'm still not done with any of them! I plan on having 4/5 applications submitted by next weekend. Still waiting on my GRE scores to post so I can fill out the info on the application accurately, and I'm finalizing my writing sample. The 5th application isn't due until January 25th, so I have a little time to muddle over that.

Ugh, I am finally done. The waiting is far worse than the preparation, in my opinion. And this time 'round, I have three times as many schools to worry about.

Yes. Because as hectic as the process of applying is, at least you feel a sense of active control. After everything is done, it all feels like dust in the wind.

Miami and Kansas applications were submitted online last night, and I overnighted the supplemental material today. 2 down. I'm finishing Ole Miss and Purdue today. Then I'll just have LSU. When I tell you the anxiety I was getting just submitting those applications last night, I really was about to have a panic attack! I had to walk away from the computer.

I am really surprised at how many programs still require mailing in materials.

Technically, I didn't have to mail anything to Kansas, but since I couldn't get the email out to the recommenders until I actually submitted the application, overnight packages had to go out - I had to mail stuff in for Miami because they don't take the writing samples on the online application. I'm only mailing my transcripts to Purdue (control freak and want to make sure they get there). Ole Miss requires documentation actually be sent. Paperless so much less stressful...I know it got there and was uploaded!

I like KU. They sent me an email to let me know all of my application information had been received. Yes, almost everything is submitted online, but I mailed hard copies of the LORs. I like the schools that say "hey, just fyi - we got all your stuff you spent a lot of time and money sending us and we'll have decisions by mid-February". Go Kansas for your consideration of the craziness and anxiety applicants have. Ward off the unnecessary phone calls by just letting us know everything is good to go for review. It is the little things that make so much sense to me :)

I like KU. They sent me an email to let me know all of my application information had been received. Yes, almost everything is submitted online, but I mailed hard copies of the LORs. I like the schools that say "hey, just fyi - we got all your stuff you spent a lot of time and money sending us and we'll have decisions by mid-February". Go Kansas for your consideration of the craziness and anxiety applicants have. Ward off the unnecessary phone calls by just letting us know everything is good to go for review. It is the little things that make so much sense to me :)

I agree, this is the minimum we should get for our money. NYU and CUNY do the same.

I'm super happy for everyone who is done!

Just out of curiosity, has anyone had issues with submitting their apps and then the apps saying they were incomplete? I submitted all my stuff in Nov, for all the programs I applied to, but because I had a nightmare about incomplete apps (damn these apps working their way into my subconscious!), I checked all my apps a couple weeks ago. For Notre Dame and another one that went through applyyourself, my status said "Application Submitted: Incomplete" and talk about going into hardcore panic mode. I called up the schools and found out it was because the graduate schools hadn't verified that it was all there, so they did that after I got off the phone with them and now all is well. Still! ARGH. It's crap like this that's going to end up giving me a heart attack.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had the same issue?