Poll - family and romance

t_ruth

What's your romantic/living situation?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. What's your romantic/living situation?

• I'm married w/children (or have children w/a life partner)
    • I'm a single parent.
    • I am married or have a life partner.
    • I have a live-in boyfriend/girlfriend/lover.
    • I have a non-live-in long-term partner.
    • I have a somewhat serious boyfriend/girlfriend.
    • I'm casually dating.
    • I'm completely single and on my own.

My partner is lucky enough to be leaving his job for a work-at-home job next month. So wherever I get accepted - even if it's State College or the moon - he'll be able to work from our home office there. :) Thank goodness. Me, him and the cats will just be able to pack up at a moment's notice whenever we find a place.

My girlfriend and I recently decided to go through with the long distance thing after graduation. I'll be somewhere in either the Midwest or Northeast, but she'll be in Mississippi doing Teach for America for two years. I'm a little worried about how gay-friendly (or unfriendly) the Delta will be, but I'm excited to visit her anyway. We'll have to work out the visiting schedule, but I'm currently very optimistic about our chances. :D

My live-in boyfriend is currently dissertation writing, so he will be moving with me and staying at least a year, and then trying to find a job nearby once he defends. Luckily his fellowship lets him be anywhere and still get paid.

My dog will also be coming :)

My partner and I are hoping to stay together next year no matter what. Beyond that, we haven't discussed specifics...in the best case (for both of us), I will be able to stay right here, so he has said he doesn't want to discuss it for another month before I know more about what my options are. A wise decision, I think, but nerve-wracking for me... :(

My partner and I are hoping to stay together next year no matter what. Beyond that, we haven't discussed specifics...in the best case (for both of us), I will be able to stay right here, so he has said he doesn't want to discuss it for another month before I know more about what my options are. A wise decision, I think, but nerve-wracking for me... :(

Definitely a wise decision. Cross that bridge when you get there.

Single, looking for program with GSOH and own source of income. East Coast preferable, but will compromise for Top-5 Californian programs.

Nice to see that other prospective grads haven't all been snapped up too!

Single and on the prowl for intelligent, sensitive, handsome grad student.

Same here! A hot sailor would be an acceptable alternative, though. (What, you mean there's the Naval Academy within commuting distance of one of my top schools? Gee, I hope they like my application....)

All the graduate students i know are married with children. or women. This is disconcerting, although my friend and i discussed how responsible it is to judge a program based on the number of cute, unattached, male, grad students... not responsible, but tempting.

My long-term SO and I are planning to move in together once I know where I'll be in the fall (we live 1000 miles apart). He's a middle school teacher, thank goodness, so will hopefully be able to find a job wherever I am. However, he definitely has his preference when it comes to location - he's from the South and I don't think he's ever even seen snow for real. Fortunately my first-choice school is in a warm location.

I am married with a baby on the way (due late in May), so I voted married with child/children even though it's not quite true. Yet. My husband is very supportive of my pursuit of a PhD and has always said that he will find a job wherever we end up moving, if we have to do so. Of course, now that the decision is getting closer and the economy has tanked, he's starting to get nervous about actually finding said job. Just what I need, more nerves surrounding this waiting process!

I am so lucky to have a boyfriend who is willing to go anywhere with me, regardless of the fact that he may not get to work in his field if I end up at some of the places I've applied to. Which is tough, because those schools are two of the most prestigious schools I applied to, so choosing between giving my career a boost and supporting his is going to be hard if I get in.

I went with "non-live in long-term partner". His job is fixed in one city which doesn't have any kind of academic community in my field. Luckily neither of us minds traveling to see the other. It is like getting to go on vacation once a month.