UC Schools

PhDreams

Just called the admissions coordinator at Berkeley and was told that decisions have been entered into the system already, and they should be notifying the applicants very soon.

Thanks so much for calling. It is 3:00 Central time, and I still haven't seen any change online. Oh well, I guess we'll keep waiting!

Nor here. I'm definitely calling tomorrow. And I will get a bit huffy if they tell me it's still coming, as after all I called last Friday and was told it would only be 24-48 hours...

I mean, seriously, can I just get my decision already Berkeley?! Based on the recent postings on results survey, it seems like it will probably be a rejection. I just hope that the waiting can end soon for all of us.

Thanks to all who have called and gotten some info about decisions being made. @eisoj5 who knew 24-48 hours could last an entire week?! Haha

Sorry FutureEdStudent12 - You'd think the email would be sufficient :)

To all -

I noticed some UC Berkeley posts on the results board. Anyone hear anything? No change/update on my end.

Lol. Thanks. You'd think, right?

I didn't hear anything.. But it's kinda weird that those are still POME results.

Still nothing here either. If there isn't an email in my inbox by 9 PDT I'm calling. And I really do not want to hear "they're going out"; I will (politely) be asking for my actual decision.

Still nothing here either. If there isn't an email in my inbox by 9 PDT I'm calling. And I really do not want to hear "they're going out"; I will (politely) be asking for my actual decision.

Keep in mind when you call that whoever answers the phone probably isn't the one causing the delay -- they are just as eager to get the decisions out as the applicants are, but if the group making the decisions aren't getting things done in a timely fashion, there's nothing that person answering the phone can do.....

(says someone who used to work in graduate admissions for a large university)

Okay, I have some more concrete info for SCS. The ed admit office couldn't give out the decision information, so they said to call Susana Flores. She said that today was their deadline to get the admissions stuff to the Graduate Division, and that the decisions will definitely be going out soon. And she said that if I don't hear anything by Wednesday to give her a call.

So...there's that. I sincerely figure that at this point I should just plan to be going to Boulder, though.

Okay, I have some more concrete info for SCS. The ed admit office couldn't give out the decision information, so they said to call Susana Flores. She said that today was their deadline to get the admissions stuff to the Graduate Division, and that the decisions will definitely be going out soon. And she said that if I don't hear anything by Wednesday to give her a call.

So...there's that. I sincerely figure that at this point I should just plan to be going to Boulder, though.

Wow! I just don't know what to think about it anymore. Has it really taken this long for SCS to make decisions? Or, did people already get admitted to SCS? And, am I just waiting for a rejection? I feel so defeated.

For me, there is no "plan b" so if it doesn't happen this year I guess I will be trying again next year. Thanks to everyone for your continued support and information. Good luck to everyone!

I just met someone who got into Berkeley, but for the policy program. Is that a bad sign for us?

I want to say that POME decisions are a different beast altogether, as the Results Survey indicates those rejections (and earlier acceptances) having been received, while all of us stellar SCS hopefuls haven't heard a single word.

But maybe that's just hope speaking...

Edited by dispositif

I just met someone who got into Berkeley, but for the policy program. Is that a bad sign for us?

It is so hard to know. I heard through a friend of a friend who used to work in the GSE that some of the programs are REALLY organized and that other programs are not as on top of things. Since SCS seems to be one of the smaller programs, maybe they are not as together? I guess as long as we haven't heard, there is still hope.

...and so it goes. I believe Spring Visit Day for accepted GSE students was scheduled for today, right?

dispositif,

For what it's worth, I was declined admission from the MA in SCS in 2010 (and yet, I come back for more at

the doctoral level?). I was talking to Zeus Leonardo a few months ago, and he mentioned that SCS generally

accepts very few M.A.'s... to the extent that he thought they may not have taken any that year.

Probably isn't too comforting, but I thought it might be nice to know that it's not like they're taking 15 a year

and you were left out in the cold.

c.o.

dispositif,

For what it's worth, I was declined admission from the MA in SCS in 2010 (and yet, I come back for more at

the doctoral level?). I was talking to Zeus Leonardo a few months ago, and he mentioned that SCS generally

accepts very few M.A.'s... to the extent that he thought they may not have taken any that year.

Probably isn't too comforting, but I thought it might be nice to know that it's not like they're taking 15 a year

and you were left out in the cold.

c.o.

Hey, that's seriously nice to hear. Thanks. I've been getting closer and closer to finalizing my decision but was holding out for Berkeley, just to make a knowledgeable decision as best I could. No SCS this year for me means that Education will not be the field I enter into, at least on the M.A. level, so this wasn't a decision I wanted to make without seeing all the cards on the table. Hearing this really concretizes the plans I've slowly been moving towards. I hope everyone here is in a good position to move forward if this does in fact mean rejection.

On that note, I emailed with Zeus earlier this year, mentioning I was applying for the M.A. in SCS and he responded that they usually take in around 8% of their applicants, out of 100-110 a year. I think this clarifies that he was likely responding in regards to M.A.'s in the entire GSE, and not just in SCS. Maybe not very helpful to most people currently on the thread, but for future SCS applicants, I think it's important to know these statistics during such a long-winded waiting game.

...so, how's everyone feeling? This has been a truly wonderful thread, and being able to talk through the ups and downs of the UC app season has really helped me deal with what has officially been the longest waiting period I've ever experienced. Hope everyone is settled in with both confidence and excitement about wherever the next turn takes them as we wait it out a few last moments.

Hey, that's seriously nice to hear. Thanks. I've been getting closer and closer to finalizing my decision but was holding out for Berkeley, just to make a knowledgeable decision as best I could. No SCS this year for me means that Education will not be the field I enter into, at least on the M.A. level, so this wasn't a decision I wanted to make without seeing all the cards on the table. Hearing this really concretizes the plans I've slowly been moving towards. I hope everyone here is in a good position to move forward if this does in fact mean rejection.

On that note, I emailed with Zeus earlier this year, mentioning I was applying for the M.A. in SCS and he responded that they usually take in around 8% of their applicants, out of 100-110 a year. I think this clarifies that he was likely responding in regards to M.A.'s in the entire GSE, and not just in SCS. Maybe not very helpful to most people currently on the thread, but for future SCS applicants, I think it's important to know these statistics during such a long-winded waiting game.

...so, how's everyone feeling? This has been a truly wonderful thread, and being able to talk through the ups and downs of the UC app season has really helped me deal with what has officially been the longest waiting period I've ever experienced. Hope everyone is settled in with both confidence and excitement about wherever the next turn takes them as we wait it out a few last moments.

@dispositif, very well said. This has been a very helpful thread to have during a super long season of waiting. I still feel really confused about the acceptance rate for SCS vs. GSE too. Did anyone attend the Graduate Diversity Day? Were there any SCS students present?

Finally, It does seem unfair for schools to let people go through the whole app process if they are not planning to take anyone. Some day, when I work for a university, I want to send all admits a floral arrangement to celebrate. Also, I will send chocolate to those who are denied acceptance (I think it will soften the blow).

@dispositif, very well said. This has been a very helpful thread to have during a super long season of waiting. I still feel really confused about the acceptance rate for SCS vs. GSE too. Did anyone attend the Graduate Diversity Day? Were there any SCS students present?

Finally, It does seem unfair for schools to let people go through the whole app process if they are not planning to take anyone. Some day, when I work for a university, I want to send all admits a floral arrangement to celebrate. Also, I will send chocolate to those who are denied acceptance (I think it will soften the blow).

You will be a wonderful administrator. <3

I called Berkeley and they told me they posted the decisions for those in Language and Literature, Society and Culture today. They said e-mail notifications would be sent out by the end of the week.