SSHRC

psyched

Hey, thanks for posting your results! Do you mean that your final score was 22.45, or was that what you were given as a score in the penultimate round? If that's your final score, how much did it go down from the previous one? I was a given a score of 26.?? (can't remember exactly) in February, so I'm wondering whether to be encouraged by your results or to continue to be totally uncertain ...

I assume that you applied as an applicant external to a university (e.g. not through a department/ FGS). Your score of 26 represents the first round of adjudication for external applicants. It will likely have changed (for better or for worse) in the final round. For those of us applying from within Canadian universities, we did not receive an initial score (though I imagine one was assigned) but were simply notified if our applications had been forwarded onto the final SSHRC competition at Ottawa.

I hope this helps. 26 is a score to be proud of, and I hope it serves as a portent for the future! Statistically speaking, in previous years, external applicants had a slightly better chance of being awarded a SSHRC (because their applications did not have to survive two other rounds of cuts) so, you should keep your fingers crossed! I'm rooting for you!

I assume that you applied as an applicant external to a university (e.g. not through a department/ FGS). Your score of 26 represents the first round of adjudication for external applicants. It will likely have changed (for better or for worse) in the final round. For those of us applying from within Canadian universities, we did not receive an initial score (though I imagine one was assigned) but were simply notified if our applications had been forwarded onto the final SSHRC competition at Ottawa.

I hope this helps. 26 is a score to be proud of, and I hope it serves as a portent for the future! Statistically speaking, in previous years, external applicants had a slightly better chance of being awarded a SSHRC (because their applications did not have to survive two other rounds of cuts) so, you should keep your fingers crossed! I'm rooting for you!

Thanks for your reply and good wishes!

Wow, 970 seems so low compared to last year's 1105 doctoral awards..... :(

970 does seem low...maybe they took the money from the regular SSHRC awards pot to fund the 55 Vanier SSHRCs that were given out??? Yes, I know I'm being cynical but it does make me wonder! After all, they have really used the Vanier awards to generate lots of publicity!

(I'm guessing everyone who is unsuccessful is put on the waiting list?)

I'm not sure if that's true - somebody had said earlier in the thread that some apps were outright rejected, while others were put on the waiting list. I guess we have no way of finding out unless somebody gets a rejection letter and posts about it.

I'm in Montreal and got my letter this morning -- I too am on the waiting list. (I'm guessing everyone who is unsuccessful is put on the waiting list?) My score was 17.4/30, for what it's worth. Our whole department was shut out this year - our GPD is shocked.

If people are willing to post their scores, we can compile some data, if we're feeling obsessive. (And we most certainly are.)

So far, we can see that 16.3 and 17.4 are above the waitlist cut-off, and 22.4 is above the doctoral fellowship cut-off.

By the way, my 26.? was my initial score, and I've heard that the scores can go down by as many as 9 points between the penultimate and final rounds. So I could well end up on the waitlist, but I'm hoping for a 22.4 or thereabouts. :-)

Hi guys,

In an attempt to help discern the cut-off line... I was scored 18.5 and just found out this morning that I have been offered a scholarship. I must have just scraped my way onto the list. I am just about through the first year of my program now (so September will mark the start of year two), and I have heard that how far along you are in your program can help determine your score (for example, the exact same application would have earned me more points next year). I have also heard that earning a scholarship in previous year (ex. OGS) can also help raise your score, but even with such a precise scoring system I still think it's largely luck. Like most grad students, I consider myself a pretty good student (even among grads) and so I also wonder what a 30/30 application would look like... I guess that's what super SSHRCs and Vaniers are for! I don't know how anyone else feels about it (and no disrespect intended to the deserving winners of the Vaniers), but I would personnally rather see that money spread among more people, and so I hope the Vaniers didn't come from the same financial pot.

To those on the waiting list, the letter I received also explained that students who were unsure of whether they would be attending in the States or Canada were offered a choice between CGS and SSHRC. If they go to the States, perhaps that means more money for SSHRC-ers on the waiting list? Or is it all the same money pot? I'm not sure, just trying to offer encouragement and hope!

Good luck to those still waiting. My thoughts are with you and my fingers are crossed for you all!

Sarah

Just to clarify, my score of 22.45/30 was the only score I ever received since I applied through my university, not as an external applicant. 26 in a first-round vetting process definitely sounds hopeful though!

Hi sylvinka,

Sorry, I completely disregarded your question! My letter came to Kingston Ontario today (about two hours from Ottawa, just in case you are unfamiliar with the region or in case your geography stinks, like mine! :) )

Sarah

Congratulations Sarah7!

I am troubled by your comment though:

I don't know how anyone else feels about it (and no disrespect intended to the deserving winners of the Vaniers), but I would personnally rather see that money spread among more people

Sharing, as I'm sure you know, is for communists.

As for posting our scores as they arrive--great idea! Some numbers will give next years applicants something to endlessly dissect whilst waiting for their results.

Hi sylvinka,

Sorry, I completely disregarded your question! My letter came to Kingston Ontario today (about two hours from Ottawa, just in case you are unfamiliar with the region or in case your geography stinks, like mine! :) )

Sarah

It was not my question. I replied to that question. I am pretty familiar with your region. Lived in ONT 4 years!

Good luck.

Sorry for the confusion, sylvinka. I just saw the quoted question in your reply box right after my post popped up (it must have popped up while I was typing my own response) and didn't take the time to realize you were quoting.

Sorry everybody :(

canuckle, if I were a communist, I would be against SSHRCs altogether. I just meant that it is too bad that so many other applicants are being turned away, particularly when scores seem so close and when the number of *regular* SSHRCs have already been cut this year. But that is competition, I guess.

Sarah

I was given a 14/30 and was listed on the waiting list. Seeing as people in the 17+ are on the list with me, I obviously don't have high hopes. I was told my department that not everyone gets wait-listed, so I'd be surprised if I didn't just make the wait-list cut with my relatively low score.

I'm Toronto and got my letter today, by the way.

Hey congrats to the winners! Perhaps I am in the wrong forum, but I have a few questions about applying for SSHRC next year:

I am going into my first year of MA in Sept., and I will be applying for SSHRC. Who do I ask for a reference letter, profs from my undergrad? Also does receiving OGS this year increase my chances for SSHRC next year? How specific were your research proposals? I am not sure if I should taylor my proposal for OGS to something more specific? I don't even know if I will have my thesis figured out by next fall, being that I will be starting my studies.

Thanks!

canuckle, if I were a communist, I would be against SSHRCs altogether. I just meant that it is too bad that so many other applicants are being turned away, particularly when scores seem so close and when the number of *regular* SSHRCs have already been cut this year. But that is competition, I guess.

'twas tongue-in-cheek, Comrade :)

I'm hoping someone on here can help me out. I was told by my department that I was successful in getting the sshrc fellowship. But I am out of the province doing fieldwork for the next two months, so I will not get my letter for a long time. I'm wondering if anyone who has a letter can tell me if there is anything I'm supposed to do (i.e. how do I confirm my acceptance of the award?). I'm assuming the timeframe to accept is only a few weeks. Could anyone help me out? Thanks!