SSHRC

psyched

I hear you, ogopogo and natalia. Its a list of names. I really don;t get why they don't just release them--which is triply aggravating when you hear that most other universities are doing just that! Does anyone have any idea what sort of tomfoolery/ twisted logic they have in witholding?

Totally jealous too. McGill was giving me nothing until I begged (and I do mean begged) and then they told me they felt bad about the stress the late results were causing for students and grudgingly admitted that they will tell the departments tomorrow, or maybe late today. I'm going to call my department in a couple minutes but I'm annoyed that I have to bug people I'm going to want as my friends before I even know them, unless I want to wait for Canada Post. It's so hard to just sit here while everyone else is getting news and it's making me really grumpy every time I think about how much of a mess this whole process has been - it's SSHRC's job to notify us, not our schools, but why should we have to wait and wait and wait to find out while information about us is available to others. It's so needlessly stressful - why not have a secure site we could check? Then we wouldn't annoy anyone.

I agree with you ogopogo. I don't understand why they don't have a secure website (like OGS does) where you can log on and check your results. They already have you log in to write the application, so what's the problem. Waiting for Canada Post is absolutely ridiculous and so problematic. I feel your pain and hope you hear soon!

That is so ridiculous natalia, what's the big deal with letting people know? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that they change their minds soon.

Thanks, Neatgirl. I appreciate it. I am just going crazy, here.

If it's any comfort, I still haven't heard anything at the U of A, either. It must be an Alberta thing.

Stinkin' Alberta. I can't believe that UofA is holding out, also. What is the point?

FGS just keeps telling me that SSHRC will mail out letters next week. Seriously? The results are already a month late. If I have to wait for notification from SSHRC, I might be waiting until June. I just want to know either way what my status is. Waiting will not make me feel better if I didn't get a SSHRC.

Regarding SFU, my Grad Secretary tells me she is always the last to know and to wait for the letter from SSHRC!

Damn you, SFU!

Oh, and congrats to all the winners (from more humane institutions) who have already heard!

Agreed, I can't get any info out of SFU either. Does anyone know when the formal letters will be sent out?

For what it's worth. The person who has access to the 'password' for the list is out sick, so all who are waiting for the results at UNB are in the dark as well. :( I hope my friends and colleagues will find out tomorrow. But I still haven't received my Master's confirmation letter either.

if someone with access could please leak the list, I would be most grateful. I'm in the U.S. so have to wait for both Canada Post and U.S. post, and will be traveling for most of the summer with my mail on hold beginning next Friday.

Like everyone else, I am mystified by why they would make this so difficult, and exactly whose privacy they are protecting by hiding these names, when they will be made public on the SSHRC web site in the future, as well as on most winners' c.v.s, etc..

please, one of you people with friends in the offices, please leak the list for us all.

if someone with access could please leak the list, I would be most grateful. I'm in the U.S. so have to wait for both Canada Post and U.S. post, and will be traveling for most of the summer with my mail on hold beginning next Friday.

Like everyone else, I am mystified by why they would make this so difficult, and exactly whose privacy they are protecting by hiding these names, when they will be made public on the SSHRC web site in the future, as well as on most winners' c.v.s, etc..

please, one of you people with friends in the offices, please leak the list for us all.

I second this. I am in the position of having to make major decisions

I feel terrible for those of you still waiting for results. It's completely unnecessary for your school to not tell you ahead of time. Try to keep your hopes up. Good luck!

For what it's worth, though -- I don't think that anyone here will have a single list showing everyone who has received an award. My understanding is that there are separate lists for each university.

Agreed about "privacy" not being a real issue here -- the results are released publicly in the summer. A simple google search will turn up the list of last years' winners.

This is in regards to the privacy issue surrounding why universities do not release "the list." One reason may be that the list the universities receive have both successful and unsuccessful applicants. In contrast, the list released in August has only the successful applicants listed. While some people may not care if the world knows they were not successful in receiving a sshrc, there are surely many individuals that do not want future institutions for whom they may work to know that they did not receive an award.

Just a thought.

By the way, this does not mean they are in anyway justified in not having an internet based login system for us to determine our results. The fact that administrators know the course of our future before we do is ridiculous.

Best of luck

So SFUers (and probably others whose schools won't inform them), here's the deal.

The reason the school won't inform you is because SSHRC has told them NOT to communicate the results until the letters have been sent. I know, I know, this is different than what they've told you about it being "optional". Thus, your school isn't telling you because they don't want to break the rules set, to them, by SSHRC. So really, they aren't the ones to blame. They can't see all of us communicating with each other and what other schools are doing.

So, do not despair. Go to your local Grad Studies office, in person, and ask about the results. Be nice. Be polite. They understand the absurdity too. If you can get yourself in to talk to someone, they'll probably tell you your results. Thank them whatever the results may be--they're as much in the dark about the process as us.

Hey all,

I would just like to say a wholehearted thank you for the comfort and support this dang thread has given me over the past several weeks, and let you know that I have received a SSHRC CGS from Memorial University in Newfoundland. I can actually afford to stay in school!

Congrats to those who have received similar news, condolences to those who did not, and keep up those chins to those still waiting!

:D

I'm sorry to selfishly chime in with a question about the MA SSHRC's when I know many of the phD's on this board are still suffering but... Has anyone received their letter yet? You'd think if they mailed it last Thursday or Friday at least one of us would have received a letter? At this point I really wouldn't be surprised if they were getting ready to mail them right now, but if anyone has received their letter, please post.

I'm sorry to selfishly chime in with a question about the MA SSHRC's when I know many of the phD's on this board are still suffering but... Has anyone received their letter yet? You'd think if they mailed it last Thursday or Friday at least one of us would have received a letter? At this point I really wouldn't be surprised if they were getting ready to mail them right now, but if anyone has received their letter, please post.

I still have not received my letter. Something tells me that they did not send them out last Friday like they suggested. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't go out till Monday. I am expecting it will come today or tomorrow. I will let you know when it arrives! :)

I still have not received my letter. Something tells me that they did not send them out last Friday like they suggested. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't go out till Monday. I am expecting it will come today or tomorrow. I will let you know when it arrives! :)

I haven't got mine yet either and I *really* want it. I, too, will post as soon as I get it.

SFU results have now been forwarded to departments. I got the cruel "recommended but not funded."

Does anyone know what that means, exactly? Do I still have a chance if people decline, or am I totally toast?

I am surprised that so many people are wondering about this. It seems pretty clear to me that the "recommended" part refers to the fact that you were recommended by your home institution (i.e. you were put on the A-list). The "not funded" is pretty self-explanatory.

I might be wrong, but I'm quite sure it does not mean that you were put on any kind of waitlist. I'm sorry :(

I might be wrong, but I'm quite sure it does not mean that you were put on any kind of waitlist. I'm sorry :(

You know, I don't think that is the case, because when I got a glance of the list of winners from my school, there was one name listed at the bottom with the "recommended but not funded" label, while the rest on the list were awarded scholarships. AND, the entire list was definitely half the size of the one listing those sent to Ottawa back in January.

SFU results have now been forwarded to departments. I got the cruel "recommended but not funded."

Does anyone know what that means, exactly? Do I still have a chance if people decline, or am I totally toast?

sfu's faculty of education hasn't. just called them now.