SSHRC

psyched

I just received word - My application was successful - SSHRC - CGS! Congrats to everyone! Last year my app at a diff university didn't even make it out of the SGS round - so you never know what can happen. Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear! :D

I just received word - My application was successful - SSHRC - CGS! Congrats to everyone! Last year my app at a diff university didn't even make it out of the SGS round - so you never know what can happen. Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear! :D

Awesome work!

Yes, they really are champs in the DGS at SFU. I used to think that they were alone and at the very top of the pile for disregarding students needs, but its nice to hear that others at different schools are still waiting too. As such, SFU DGS is merely in the top percentile of suckageness.

What drives me crazy is that in my application I said I wanted to stay at SFU, but I ended up accepting an offer from a more helpful school. I had an out and didn't take it, damnit!

Wow! What a roller-coaster!! As some of you may remember, I was the first to post that I'd received results for the PhD competition and that I was unsuccessful. As it turns out, my grad chair was looking at the wrong list (!) I got a CGS!!! Talk about going from nothing to everything! Thanks everyone for you kind words when I thought I'd been unsuccessful and for making the wait bearable.

Wow! What a roller-coaster!! As some of you may remember, I was the first to post that I'd received results for the PhD competition and that I was unsuccessful. As it turns out, my grad chair was looking at the wrong list (!) I got a CGS!!! Talk about going from nothing to everything! Thanks everyone for you kind words when I thought I'd been unsuccessful and for making the wait bearable.

Wow, that's great! Congratulations!

That is absolutely awesome. Hahaha. Good for you!

You know, as a fellow UofS-er, I kind-of thought that might have been the case, considering I had multiple confirmations that grad studies absolutely did not release the stats until yesterday afternoon. What a wonderful surprise, congratulations Brewer!

You can add McGill to the list of schools that won't take pity on their students, at least, unless I'm talking to the wrong person. I got 'Unfortunately, we don't have result information for sharing with applicants. My understanding is that the agency mailed results to candidates yesterday, so one could expect to have a result letter in the next week.' from the DGS external fellowships people. Note the nice ambiguity in the first sentence - she didn't exactly say she didn't have the info, she said she didn't have it for sharing with students...

You know, as a fellow UofS-er, I kind-of thought that might have been the case, considering I had multiple confirmations that grad studies absolutely did not release the stats until yesterday afternoon. What a wonderful surprise, congratulations Brewer!

Thanks!! I too had my suspicions something wasn't right when you (and others) couldn't access the results. Once the second person posted that they had found out, I figured I really hadn't got anything. It was shortly after that my grad chair let me know the mistake. I'm sure glad it was a mistake. And really, winning the award was that much sweeter after the taste of disappointment, so I don't think I'd change how it all happened :D So thanks for posting and congrats to you too!!

I was told by one person at SFU DGS that they never receive SSHRC results...which seems to not be true. Would anyone know who to contact at SFU to find out?

This isn't true. Phone the main DGS info line and ask if they have the results. Be polite. Post results.

OK, I'm at U of T and I just got an e-mail inviting me to a reception in honour of the 3 Governor General's Gold Medals Winners...with this heading...

To the Recipients of the 2009-2010 Graduate Awards i.e. NSERC, SSHRC, Canadian Institutes of Health Research Fellowships & Canada Graduate Scholarships, Masters:

The only one I applied to was SSHRC...is this U of T's sideways method of notifying me that I won something?

OK, I'm at U of T and I just got an e-mail inviting me to a reception in honour of the 3 Governor General's Gold Medals Winners...with this heading...

To the Recipients of the 2009-2010 Graduate Awards i.e. NSERC, SSHRC, Canadian Institutes of Health Research Fellowships & Canada Graduate Scholarships, Masters:

The only one I applied to was SSHRC...is this U of T's sideways method of notifying me that I won something?

I would guess that it is, I mean, you made the list right? Tentative congrats!

Apparently so! I just called my grad coordinator and I got a CGS.

Congratulations to everyone who has won a SSHRC!

I'm so jealous of everyone who has had news. UofC is still holding onto the results and have no intention of letting anyone know anything anytime soon. What is there to "go through?" It's a list of names.

Wow, that's so terrific brewer, and especially after thinking you had been unsuccessful. Congrats! You really need to go out and celebrate now!

I'm so jealous of everyone who has had news. UofC is still holding onto the results and have no intention of letting anyone know anything anytime soon. What is there to "go through?" It's a list of names.

That is so ridiculous natalia, what's the big deal with letting people know? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that they change their minds soon.

If it's any comfort, I still haven't heard anything at the U of A, either. It must be an Alberta thing.

I second the congratulations to all who were successful.

Totally jealous too. McGill was giving me nothing until I begged (and I do mean begged) and then they told me they felt bad about the stress the late results were causing for students and grudgingly admitted that they will tell the departments tomorrow, or maybe late today. I'm going to call my department in a couple minutes but I'm annoyed that I have to bug people I'm going to want as my friends before I even know them, unless I want to wait for Canada Post. It's so hard to just sit here while everyone else is getting news and it's making me really grumpy every time I think about how much of a mess this whole process has been - it's SSHRC's job to notify us, not our schools, but why should we have to wait and wait and wait to find out while information about us is available to others. It's so needlessly stressful - why not have a secure site we could check? Then we wouldn't annoy anyone.