SSHRC

psyched

I phoned SSHRC this morning to ask about letters for PhD applicants from the U.S.. They said they would go out at the end of this week or early next week. I feel like I've heard that somewhere before...

...They said they would go out at the end of this week or early next week. I feel like I've heard that somewhere before...

ha ha...too funny! in that sick kind of funny way.

SSHRC is worse than grad students about deadlines.

I talked to the graduate studies office at McGill last week and they told me that they did not have results they could share with students, but SSHRC told them the PhD letters were going out on Tuesday or Wednesday of that week (last week). How horrible if they haven't sent them yet!

That's what the DGS at McGill told me as well, but I'm pretty sure they were just wrong on that one. Based on when the MA people got their letters and what the people at SSHRC were saying at the time, McGill must have been confused about which letters were going out last week. Canada post is slow, but not nearly that slow.

I think somebody at McGIll DGS is confused. I applied independently for SSHRC and since I'm going there in the fall asked if they might have my results. I was told by someone over the phone that the results for independent applicants were released in March. I tried to explain that only preliminary results were released, moving people into the national competition, but she continued to attempt at convincing me that I was out of luck. Good thing I knew she was mistaken. For issues such as this, this forum has been priceless.

Apologies for not posting this sooner, in case any MA applicants are still waiting and checking this thread, but I received my letter on Tuesday. I'm in Halifax, NS, so I imagine if any MAs haven't received their letter yet they should very soon. I found it interesting that the letter told me I have four weeks from the "date on the notice of award" to accept it. What's funny is that the date on the notice is May 6, and I didn't receive the letter until May 19th! If they expect applicants to accept before the 4 week deadline the letters all HAVE to arrive very shortly, if they haven't already.

To the PhD's my heart goes out to you, I can't believe you're STILL getting the "late this week, early next week" business. I reckon many of you will be too numb and drained to feel any excitement (or disappointment) by the time the letters finally arrive.

I have been frequently checking the SSHRC website for program statistics so that I can compare this year's PhD numbers with last year. All other stats were posted within 24-48 hours of notice to FGS's. I note that PhD SSHRCs still haven't been listed. I realize this sounds like sour grapes, but the paranoid side of me wonders if either SSHRC isn't planning on cutting even more or isn't a little reluctant to post the stats: it seems to me that since MA results were basically determined from quotas set last year and since all other awards were announced before April 20 if the heaviest culling of money wasn't forced out of the PhD awards chest (since it was left to the very, very last). I realize there are probably other explanations - such as the obvious ineptitude of SSHRC staff - that are more accurate.

I have been frequently checking the SSHRC website for program statistics so that I can compare this year's PhD numbers with last year. All other stats were posted within 24-48 hours of notice to FGS's. I note that PhD SSHRCs still haven't been listed. I realize this sounds like sour grapes, but the paranoid side of me wonders if either SSHRC isn't planning on cutting even more or isn't a little reluctant to post the stats: it seems to me that since MA results were basically determined from quotas set last year and since all other awards were announced before April 20 if the heaviest culling of money wasn't forced out of the PhD awards chest (since it was left to the very, very last). I realize there are probably other explanations - such as the obvious ineptitude of SSHRC staff - that are more accurate.

I'm pretty sure SSHRC can't take back awards after they've already been announced to universities. Also, the master's level also experienced a cut in the number of awards available this year. I tabulated the total awards by year for MA and PhD SSHRC a while back: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=14885&start=330#p100021

And while SSHRC fellowships are being cut, NSERC's website says:

"NSERC will receive $35 million of this funding over a three-year period, which will allow an additional 200 PhD-level scholarships to be awarded in the current (2009) competition, and an additional 400 scholarships at the master

To the PhD's my heart goes out to you, I can't believe you're STILL getting the "late this week, early next week" business. I reckon many of you will be too numb and drained to feel any excitement (or disappointment) by the time the letters finally arrive.

So true! I think any excitement will not be over the result itself but over the mere fact that there is a letter from SSHRC in my mailbox. Maybe I will just take in the look of that glorious envelope for a couple days before even opening it... Maybe I will frame the envelope and ditch the letter... On a sidenote, perhaps next year, as a way to receive extra funding, we could establish a lottery and take bets on when the letters will arrive.

Thought SFU-ers might be interested to know that of the 50 A-listers by the university, SSHRC funded 24 -- or a mere 48%! Last year they funded 30 out of 46, or 65%. WTF!?

Given that SSHRC bases its quota for the upcoming year on the number previously successful, it would seem that those like myself who got squeezed will be facing an uphill battle next time around. Brutal.

Hmm. Can anyone from a different school with similar information conjecture on whether these cuts have been made across the board?

Thought SFU-ers might be interested to know that of the 50 A-listers by the university, SSHRC funded 24 -- or a mere 48%! Last year they funded 30 out of 46, or 65%. WTF!?

Given that SSHRC bases its quota for the upcoming year on the number previously successful, it would seem that those like myself who got squeezed will be facing an uphill battle next time around. Brutal.

Thats interesting. Any idea how many of the 24 (PhD) who were successful got CGS v. the regular SSHRCs, mikefriday?

My deparment (business) just informed me informally that I was successful on the 24 out of 50 in SFU. so I assume that most of you who are still waiting should contact your department for results.

Good luck for those who are still waiting!

I've sent an email to Mrs Bigras from SSHRC asking her when PhD student may receive a letter. We'll see.

I got an anwser few minutes ago (Friday morning May 22), you'll need to know French :

Bonjour,

Les r

This is insane. My partner and I are both waiting for letters (attending a non-Canadian school next year, and they haven't received anything from SSHRC), and now it's going to be another week at least?! Chad Gaffield did a talk at my school last year for those holding awards from SSHRC and bemoaned the fact that after money goes out, SSHRC has little contact with, or feedback from, students who benefit from the awards. I think this is a fair point, however, I'm not sure if Chad is ready to hear some feedback about the tardiness of the process this year. Seriously, if they had any thoughtfulness or care in them, they would at least try to do some 'damage control' on the lateness of the decisions (assuming they couldn't control that part) - they could find a way to get results out more quickly using electronic means, for example. I guess SSHRC is just another bureaucracy happily disconnected from those it serves... Sad.

Chad Gaffield did a talk at my school last year for those holding awards from SSHRC

It is quite frustrating, certainly. I could be wrong, but if you applied through a school I think the school you *applied through* may get the results too, even if you are going somewhere else off-the-grid (ie. the states)? Have you tried stirring up old contacts at your former school?

6 SFUers got CGS, but should be separate from that 24. Anyone has a full list of that 24?

Is it true that the 6 CGS are in addition to the 24? If so, that means things look a little bit better for SFUers doesn't it?

Unfortunately, my partner & I both applied independently, so no info possible from our last school, and SSHRC hasn't sent results to our new (overseas) schools. I feel like we have been stuck in a holding pattern for over a month now...any sign of compassion from SSHRC would make such a difference!

I've known for almost a month that I received an FQRSC (the Quebec version of SSHRC) this year, but SSHRC's tardiness is still effecting me, since my acceptance won't be processed until SSHRC responds (and that means living off my credit card). There are other Canadian organizations who ask their recipients to only accept if they did not receive the SSHRC, and so are waiting for the results before they start their funding payments. This is creating a huge problem for everyone until the other show drops and SSHRC releases their list.