SSHRC

psyched

You know, I don't think that is the case, because when I got a glance of the list of winners from my school, there was one name listed at the bottom with the "recommended but not funded" label, while the rest on the list were awarded scholarships. AND, the entire list was definitely half the size of the one listing those sent to Ottawa back in January.

Ah, well then I must really be mistaken. Thanks for posting about this.

GAARRRGHHHH McGill is being HORRIBLE! Apparently the Grad office knows AND the History Dept knows (info was received Tuesday, sent to the Departments Wednesday) but NO WORD despite several email attempts.

:evil: I'm really peeved! If I don't find out the results soon, I could lose over a thousand dollars. There is something really wrong with the system.

SFU English released their results, and I was unsuccessful. Even though I know it's a crapshoot I'm a bit shocked, since I know I was highly ranked out of the university and had nothing but positive feedback on my proposal from multiple professors. I'm such a huge SSHRC geek that I thought I had a good handle on what they want. Ah well, it's one more lesson about not being able to control everything. I'm very lucky to have strong internal funding, so I'm not as devastated as I could be. I did not cry in public today, nor am I currently drunk! Minor victories.

I'd kind of like to cry on your behalf after watching you stress about this for so long now. :( These things are so difficult to predict since they rely on so many subjective factors. Better luck next year, at least you know you made it to the highest possible level without receiving the actual grant.

SFU English released their results, and I was unsuccessful. Even though I know it's a crapshoot I'm a bit shocked, since I know I was highly ranked out of the university and had nothing but positive feedback on my proposal from multiple professors. I'm such a huge SSHRC geek that I thought I had a good handle on what they want. Ah well, it's one more lesson about not being able to control everything. I'm very lucky to have strong internal funding, so I'm not as devastated as I could be. I did not cry in public today, nor am I currently drunk! Minor victories.

I'd kind of like to cry on your behalf after watching you stress about this for so long now.

Thanks, phreeduh. My initial reaction was that all of my stress had been for nothing... and then I realized that even if I had been successful, all the stress would have been for nothing. It wouldn't have changed the result, it just wasted my energy. I'm going to try to be more like the poster up-thread who had no idea what a CGS was-- do the app, let it go. And pigs might fly out my ass. But it's worth a try.

Crapshoot is right. I was ranked top by the University for my department, have a 4.33 GPA, stellar reference letters and a proposal that was considered by my supervisor and others to be top-notch. People kept telling me I was a shoo in. Fortunately, I never let go of that kernel of self-doubt.

Congratulations to all those who won SSHRC and condolences to those who will have to try again next year.

I am surprised people's posts that they have found out about their award through invites to award ceremonies or department officials calling/e-mailing to congratulate them. Perhaps I'm seeking someone to stroke my ego but I am surprised that it's been over a week since I found out that I've received SSHRC and I have not heard anything official from my department with so much as a congrats - hrmmm... after all the anticipation and waiting you would think that some recognition would be nice! :oops:

Perhaps I'm seeking someone to stroke my ego but I am surprised that it's been over a week since I found out that I've received SSHRC and I have not heard anything official from my department with so much as a congrats - hrmmm... after all the anticipation and waiting you would think that some recognition would be nice! :oops:

Pah! At least you've heard....

*is bitter and angsty*... forgive.

Congrats, btw.

Hello!

This board has proven to be a huge stress-reliever (and time waster) as I have been waiting...

I was just notified earlier this afternoon of my successful (!) M.A. application to SSHRC (UofC) so hopefully the doctoral results are coming for those waiting...

Thanks for all the posts/info and congrats to all the recipients.

Hello!

This board has proven to be a huge stress-reliever (and time waster) as I have been waiting...

I was just notified earlier this afternoon of my successful (!) M.A. application to SSHRC (UofC) so hopefully the doctoral results are coming for those waiting...

Thanks for all the posts/info and congrats to all the recipients.

Congrats, pixiepixie.

So... UofC has only just released MA results? Did you get an email from FGS or did you have to wait for your letter from SSHRC?

This is so frustrating. I was hoping to find out my results before the next round of scholarship applications (all due today). I guess I had better work on that...

Hi all

I've been reading this thread since April and I learned more here than anywhere else about SSHRC.

I just wanted to let you know that I received in the mail my SSRHC letter informing me that I was granted a Bombardier-MA scholarship for next year.

Just wanted to let you know that the letters are definitely in the mail! :D

Hey natalia,

Yes, I applied for the MA-level scholarship and got an email from Graduate Studies....still waiting on an official letter. If they are out in the mail, hopefully I'll get mine by Tuesday, after the long weekend.

The email just says the 'results have been posted' so hopefully they will get the doctoral results out for you soon!

This forum has been a savior for me. I feel that I must share my horror story for all of those still waiting for the SSHRC for their MA or phd.

After reading this forum for several hours yesterday I finally built up the courage to call my graduate administer (UofT) to find out the results of my MA SSHRC application. I had already found out a few weeks ago that my OGS application had been unsuccessful and I desperately needed this SSHRC money for my Masters degree this fall. After a few confusions on my name (its only 6 letters and nothing too complex) I was informed that my name was not on the winners' list, and was therefore an alternative. Crushed, especially after receiving an e-mail from UofT inviting me to a celebration dinner event for recipients of SSHRC/NERC/etc awards, I e-mailed the awards department at UofT to double check, hoping that the Graduate Administrator just misheard my name and rather than asking for another clarification decided to just say no. I was told by the Awards Department that they "believed" I was on the list, but all this uncertainty was killing me.

Now, I am happy to say that after checking the mail this morning my SSHRC letter was sitting in the mailbox and that I DID win the MA award for this fall. So after almost 24 hours of confusion/depression my ordeal has come to an end! So for all those who just haven't heard anything, I'd have preferred that to a misleading no.

Also, to all of those recipients who had also won - congrats! - and to those still waiting good luck.

I am surprised that so many people are wondering about this. It seems pretty clear to me that the "recommended" part refers to the fact that you were recommended by your home institution (i.e. you were put on the A-list). The "not funded" is pretty self-explanatory.

I might be wrong, but I'm quite sure it does not mean that you were put on any kind of waitlist. I'm sorry :(

Actually, 'recommended but not funded' refers to SSHRC, not the departments. It means that you were A-listed by SSHRC but that funding ran out. This year, due to massive cutbacks, over a 100 SSHRCs have been axed. It is a very faint hope, but you have been waitlisted, mikefriday. When you receive your letter from SSHRC it will probably explain your position in the queue. I knw this from bitter experience from last year.

Actually, 'recommended but not funded' refers to SSHRC, not the departments. It means that you were A-listed by SSHRC but that funding ran out. This year, due to massive cutbacks, over a 100 SSHRCs have been axed. It is a very faint hope, but you have been waitlisted, mikefriday. When you receive your letter from SSHRC it will probably explain your position in the queue. I knw this from bitter experience from last year.

Thanks, Snasser. Appreciate the info.

And, the answer is... unsuccessful.

Anyone who is still waiting for UofC, just call FGS and ask directly for your results. Apparently, if you act like they should tell you, they will. Good luck.

Again, congratulations to everyone who won an award this competition. It helps me feel better about SSHRC (and my unsuccessful application), knowing that some of my fellow stressees are happy and holding a bag full of money.

For anyone in my boat, we should definitely keep in touch for the coming competition. Read each other's proposals and comment. Remind each other that it is just money, nothing to lose our heads over. :wink:

DOGs at SFU keeps telling me they don't have access to the doctoral results yet. But I see other students were already informed by their departments. I am so confused!!

DOGS at SFU has sent the results to your departmental grad secretary. Enquire there.

Thanks to those who received their letters from SSHRC and who posted their locations...I appreciate it.

Has anyone who has received confirmation about his/her MA SSHRC from GPS or Dept. NOT received his/her letter from SSHRC? I ask because I did not receive a letter today and I'm freaking out. If I don't get the SSHRC, I don't go to school next fall...anyway, sorry to stress on this forum when obviously the doctoral students have more to worry about, but let me know if you didn't receive the letter.

(I'm an applicant from McGill, if that makes more sense--GPS and my Dept. have probably known for a week but haven't sent anything).

I am in the PhD program at SFU and I have not heard anything from SSHRC. I have, however, been told by my Graduate Program Chair that no one in our department made it :cry: Apparently, there were many other departments that did not make it as well this year.

This is very frustrating especially considering that I was told that I was a 'shoo-in' and that my application was rated as very strong. I won a SSHRC when I was doing my MA, so I thought I knew a little about how that game is played.

I am not sure what I will do for money in the fall, given that the TAships are running out for second year PhDs and that there is very little internal funding in my department.