Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2012 admissions

MSW13

Just saw on the results page that someone received an acceptance letter for York's 2-year program on May 7, 2012 and the letter was dated April 19. What can be so difficult about going into MyFile and updating to accepted or unsuccessful? Surely, at this point, they must be finished reviewing the applications. They've had them for months.

Where is the results page? On this site you mean? I haven't heard from U of Calgary or York either and I really hate the feeling of assuming I didn't get in... :(

Where is the results page? On this site you mean? I haven't heard from U of Calgary or York either and I really hate the feeling of assuming I didn't get in... :(

At the top of this page, underneath the grad cafe logo, there is a row of links. Click on the "results search." You can look up both York and Calgary.

Thanks! I am guessing not everyone has submitted their results, but it still doesn't give me a good idea of when I will find out... seems like those who didn't get in found out right away, so I should be hopeful, but it is getting really really hard to maintain that frame of mind! I think it's cruel to keep people waiting this long... (to get a later dated in April just today!? clearly they know... so what's the hold up!?)

So I emailed the Social work department at York re: the PD-BSW applications and the response given was:

"We're currently evaluating the files and are beginning to send out decisions. Unfortunately, our process has been a bit delayed this year as we recently moved buildings on campus"

So I emailed the Social work department at York re: the PD-BSW applications and the response given was:

"We're currently evaluating the files and are beginning to send out decisions. Unfortunately, our process has been a bit delayed this year as we recently moved buildings on campus"

Hmm. Might explain why it's impossible to get through on the phone. I tried calling the department secretary today, Gina Bosso, and I just get a message saying the mailbox is full and it won't take messages or transfer the call.

I called the admissions office today and the woman I spoke with could only tell me that my application is still with the School of Social Work. She said that the MSW program and one other (Psych, I think) get more applications than any of their other programs. I asked her if it is possible that, at this point, my application has not been successful and I'm just waiting to see an update in MyFile. She said no, and that it's good that it's still with the department as that means I still have a chance. Unfortunately, she couldn't tell me how many students are being admitted for 2012 (seriously, why can't they answer that?) neither does she know how many people have already been admitted.

Edited by Laurie S.

Unfortunately, she couldn't tell me how many students are being admitted for 2012 (seriously, why can't they answer that?) neither does she know how many people have already been admitted.

I went through the results pages on here and apart from myself, I think I saw three others which would bring the count to 4 (at least on this forum). I have a friend who is in her second year in this program and she said that they usually have a class size of 20 ish.

All I can say is: what a bad time to move. Would have made more sense at a less critical period!

Better location, though! I see from their new address that they've moved to the Ross Building, which is much more central than the Kinsmen building. It'll be near the library and York Lanes (and the buses) :)

I called U of C today for those others who are waiting.. the woman at the front said that they are still reviewing applications and they are training a second person; also it appears the manager no longer works there as I tried her, too... what a mess! she said that I should know "soon" and if I don't hear back at the end of the month(!!!) to call back. I think I might suffer it out with another year of crap work and reapply for next year. Maybe take stats so I have more options... I just wish I could find out so I could start making concrete decisions instead of possible plans!!! :(

After being on here for a month I feel that regardless where we all go, we should make a group and keep in touch throughout the next year.

I'd definitely like that! Are you thinking of a group on here? Or something separate, like a Facebook group?

*sigh*

More results have been posted for York's 2-year MSW. One person got notification on MyFile that they were accepted on May 9 and another one today.

Still no change for me.

I'd definitely like that! Are you thinking of a group on here? Or something separate, like a Facebook group?

Either. Both seem good to me. Facebook might be more convenient for some but I really don't mind.

I'm really surprised that you guys are still waiting, I already have an orientation session at Laurier next week! I would feel so hesitant to accept an offer from a school that seems so disorganized :(

P.S. For those of you who thought I would definitely get into that online B.S.W program I applied to....I was REJECTED last week lol :P

I certainly have alot of anxiety around accepting a program from York. However, personally, York is my last outstanding application as I did not make it in to U of T or York's MSW program, and I dread having my referees go through the reference process again, which is why I am still waiting for York.

Hi everyone!

I am in the same boat as many of you, having been wait listed at U of T for the 2nd year in a row, and still waiting for York to send out decisions. My degree is in Psychology and I have 3 years work experience in teaching/research assistant/program facilitator. Also have several years of volunteering in social services.

My back up plan is the BSW online program through U Vic which I have already started as of May 7. Hope to finish it within 2 years or less...I have to say, I have noticed many of my classmates in the BSW have several years work experience in social services and even have masters degrees in things like Psychology. Just shows how darn competitive these programs are.

Wish everyone the best of luck. Keep your heads up! Also lets just hope we hear from York before September..LOL!

Kay

Well, I have heard people say that York overall is disorganized, not just its Social Work department. This doesn't faze me too much though, as I am a survivor of Laurier's administration as a Graduate student. Getting into Laurier was no problem - the department (Psychology) was super organized. The pitfalls started to happen once I was already in the University.

Getting paycheques all wrong; missing deadlines; losing important documents and lying about it to me - (I had to fight with admin to prove I had sent my cheque in for graduation and they had misplaced it, all the while arguing that I had never sent it). Plus, I went from U of Waterloo which had great tech services and internet, to Laurier where things were behind a few years in all fronts. Anyway, the point is: all Universities are just big businesses and therefore, tend to have shoddy administrative parts just like any corporation you run into *cough cough* Bell or Rogers lol.

So if you haven't run into any difficulties yet, still tread with caution and always back up your documents, proof of payments, and receipts (and emails) because the ease of getting in (i.e., paper work and timely process) is only one aspect :( Just protect yourself in the shuffle so to speak.

I sound bitter lol...but now that it's my second time around, the innocence of first-time-grad student has worn off and it's all business to me this time. I know what they're capable of, what I should rightly expect of them, and what my and their responsibilities are. Am I tad worried that it's this late...yes...but I'm also armed with assertiveness to go forward into the year lol.

Chins up everyone and soldier on! :)

I certainly have alot of anxiety around accepting a program from York. However, personally, York is my last outstanding application as I did not make it in to U of T or York's MSW program, and I dread having my referees go through the reference process again, which is why I am still waiting for York.

When did you get declined from York's MSW? Was it in the first round in January?

Well, another day ... another week gone by, and still NO NEWS from York. I tried calling the School of Social Work's general number and no one answers. The only option is to leave a message. They're probably avoiding taking calls because they know how how frustrated we all are. Was originally told decisions by the end of April, and then 2-weeks ago they said decisions in 1 to 2 weeks. According to the results on My File, it seems their average processing time is one application every three weeks. They're making the feds look good ... lol!

Got my first package of information from U of Waterloo today. They've always amazed me at Renison College (U of W) with their willingness to go the extra-mile to make sure that students needs are met :)

Edited by Laurie S.

When did you get declined from York's MSW? Was it in the first round in January?

Well, another day ... another week gone by, and still NO NEWS from York. I tried calling the School of Social Work's general number and no one answers. The only option is to leave a message. They're probably avoiding taking calls because they know how how frustrated we all are. Was originally told decisions by the end of April, and then 2-weeks ago they said decisions in 1 to 2 weeks. According to the results on My File, it seems their average processing time is one application every three weeks. They're making the feds look good ... lol!

Got my first package of information from U of Waterloo today. They've always amazed me at Renison College (U of W) with their willingness to go the extra-mile to make sure that students needs are met :)

Yea I was declined from York's MSW around Feb I think.

Good news??

According to the Results Search, this week at least one person was accepted to York after waiting forever and one person was accepted to UofT off of the wait list.

Hopefully this gives some hope to those who are still waiting on York or UofT! Good luck everyone!

Hopefully this gives some hope to those who are still waiting on York or UofT! Good luck everyone!

I'm looking forward to working with you all one day, in the field of social work. Our dedication and perseverance and desire to get into this program say something about the kind of social workers we're all going to be one day :)

I'm looking forward to working with you all one day, in the field of social work. Our dedication and perseverance and desire to get into this program say something about the kind of social workers we're all going to be one day :)

I agree! If we all want it bad enough, we will get there...even if it takes an extra couple of years!