post here if one of your programs has started contacting...

frankdux

i know for sure that my first choice program met yesterday to make final picks...but i haven't been called or emailed :( it's a terrible combination of getting-an-increasingly-bad-feeling-about-this and why-won't-they-just-tell-me-already?! ::resumes chain-smoking::

Can I ask which grad school this is about? I'm also applying for Near Eastern Studies! Thanks.

I've been more or less paralyzed all week, after discovering that Brandeis and Michigan have started to accept/reject people to their English doctoral programs. I was worried about Chapel Hill, too, until I saw that it seems only Master's applicants have heard back so far. Looks like Brown and Cornell, however, are still holding out--or at least that's what the results here point to? UGH.

There's only one entry (from last year) in the results page for one of my programs. That entry says the person was accepted Feb 11 aka TODAY.

GRRRRRRR I'm tired of waiting!!!!

Last year Feb 11 was a Monday though. So its 2009 equivalent is Feb 9 or Feb 17 (since 16 is a holiday most places).

Someone posted an acceptance for one of my applied programs six days ago. The website still says "no decision" for me - I'm not sure whether that means I'm not out of the running, or they just haven't bothered to update the rejects' status yet!

Yea I started getting anxious on Monday :!:

Oh yeah, no doubt. My 2008-2009 equivalency hasn't stopped me from checking my email ever ten minutes either : )

And I'm at a client now that has a serious firewall blocking everything, so I actually installed an ssh server at home and am checking gmail via links in order to do it. Now that's desperate!

Oh yeah, no doubt. My 2008-2009 equivalency hasn't stopped me from checking my email ever ten minutes either : )

And I'm at a client now that has a serious firewall blocking everything, so I actually installed an ssh server at home and am checking gmail via links in order to do it. Now that's desperate!

LOL, yea it is. But it gave me a good laugh so thanks :)

Hi, everyone! I just found this forum and this is my first post. People here seem so much more supportive than at http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/graduate-school/.

Anyway, this may seem ridiculous, but I just got back from my UC Berkeley interview yesterday, and some people (posted on college confidential) have already received acceptances today! I was really impressed by their program, and now I really want to go... but just waiting while others are getting accepted is nerve racking. I came to the conclusion that the program probably sends out all their first tier acceptances at once - because why wouldn't they?... so is there any point hoping for contact tomorrow or the day after? Although one person was called and another was emailed... I also hope I am not immediately rejected :( On the other hand, I was told that sometimes final decisions aren't made until after their second weekend (end of Feb) ... which would mean I have to wait a whole 3 weeks if I'm in that category! Also, a lot of people who are also interviewing at Stanford choose that weekend since the two schools coordinate. It's likely that will be a group full of automatic acceptances. I know there's nothing I can do, but this is just painful and I need to rant!

Ranting continued... The worst part is, that this school wasn't necessarily at the top of my list because of various other factors including location & a significant other. But after their weekend, I got super excited... and now.... gah!!!

humanature: I know it's hard not to, but I really wouldn't worry about it. I've heard that some programs stagger their offers over several weeks, maybe because the committee discusses people on separate days. Some potential POI's may be more forward about bugging the committee than others, so the people that more proactive professors want might get offers first. You'll probably hear soon! Best of luck.

Thanks, unthevert. Yeah, that's what the rational part of my brain is saying. The other 90% keeps wondering what I did wrong, and how to prepare myself for a major let down or an unbearable 3 weeks. Sigh. Well time to distract myself with the classwork I should be doing.

Medianerd, I'm 100% with you. Especially since all weekend (at my recruitment) I heard about how high the acceptance rates are at the interview stage...

Look on the bright side, at least you got in somewhere! There may be someone you know who's jealous of you right now!

Yeah, I'm sure, and I feel terrible admitting that I feel emotional at the idea of being passed over for someone I know. I do better with 'vague other people' getting in than people whom I'll have to be kind and congratulate. Sigh. Battling with a bit of human weakness here.