CSU's: Anyone accepted yet?

bounce

It is a tough one for sure. I understand your concerns. My goal for grad school is to graduate with as little debt as possible. Prestige doesn't mean much to me. Personally, I feel that I will be an awesome social worker no matter where I get my degree.

I completely agree with you. Anywhere we choose to go we will be learning the basics and doing field work. Its just like i said, USC provides way more stipends and scholarships than CSUN. There is one stipend to apply to for csun and they give priority to people who are already working at agencies.

Called Sac State. All Irma told me was that I wasn't gettin an acceptance letter within the next 2 weeks. I think I might be waitlisted but I don't know whether to graduate and assume I'm in or assume I didn't get in and double major

Yeah I got about the same reply, it was hinted I was waitlisted. Such is life. Don't give up hope but yeah definitely weigh your future options at this point. I have not heard good things about the current state of MSW admissions at CSUS so it's not just you.

Hi NJC82, I mentioned something about this right above your post, in regards to the financial aid being said to us before being accepted and how I called to ask abt. accepting by the May 1st deadline even if we're not accepted yet. As for a Cal Grant, there are no Cal Grants for graduate school, the cal grant is only given to undergraduate majors in california, those pursuing a vocational program, and those getting teacher certificates. Same for the Pell grant, but these are only for undergrads who have not earned a professional degree and sometimes they are also given for people in teacher certificate programs as well. There is no "free" money for grad school except through stipends and other scholarships, both of which you have to apply to yourself and these are based on merit and or financial needs.

This was originally to a comment by NJC82 abt. the fact that there will not be any cal grants factored in since we are grad students and those aren't for us. However...I DID make a mistake at the end of the comment above in which I stated that there is no "free" money for grad school. After getting an e-mail from SFSU which I'm sure a lot of you got too, I did a little research and to my surprise, there IS one grant that can be given to graduate students as well as undergrads who apply by the march 2nd deadline and are lucky to be one who receives it!! That is the SUG or the State University Grant, given by the California State University. So if you're going to go to a Cal State this is the only Grant available to graduate students soley based on need and that does not have to be applied for and doesn't need to be paid back. YAY there's hope...although according to SFSU's e-mail who knows if there's any money for us or not lol.

Is anyone else waiting to hear about Chico's 3 year program??? The website says mid April for decisions. Well....it's officially MID APRIL! lol I'm FREAKING OUT!!!!!!!!!! I literally have been checking my portal almost every day since I applied, even though we're supposed to hear through e-mail. Does anyone have ANY information about the 3 year program?

That's interesting. They give the university grant at the undergrad level too (I am graduating from Sac State), but you don't need to fill anything out of apply, it's just given to you based on your GPA (I believe) and your amount of need. I didn't even know that we needed to apply for it at the graduate level. This MSW program is the only MSW program that I have applied for. I applied to 2 other masters programs in different disciplines. I am really hoping that I get into the MSW program at SFSU but based on pure numbers I am discouraged. Hopefully we find out this week!

Did I miss something? Are you saying some nurses just got answers from SFSU or, answers about the university scholarship? Updated: Nevermind it looks like you were talking about SFSU acceptances. Good luck to everyone waiting on SFSU.

Edited by allyba

That's interesting. They give the university grant at the undergrad level too (I am graduating from Sac State), but you don't need to fill anything out of apply, it's just given to you based on your GPA (I believe) and your amount of need. I didn't even know that we needed to apply for it at the graduate level. This MSW program is the only MSW program that I have applied for. I applied to 2 other masters programs in different disciplines. I am really hoping that I get into the MSW program at SFSU but based on pure numbers I am discouraged. Hopefully we find out this week!

When I said to those who apply by the March 2nd deadline, I meant those who apply for financial aid. If you want financial aid (loans/grants from schools), you have to fill out the FAFSA by March 2nd to be considered for the priority deadline. And as I stated above "this is the only Grant available to graduate students soley based on need and that does not have to be applied for (i meant applied for separately from the FAFSA) and doesn't need to be paid back" and as Allyba said, it's most likely gone....SFSU said they don't know yet, but basically it's understood that there isn't money for this and if anyone gets it it will be very few of us and the most financially needy (ie those who haven't been able to find work, have no savings, and have like 2+ kids to support etc.). I just didn't even know there was such a thing until I got that email, we came in too late!! darn... :/

Edited by Lisbeth

Has anyone heard back about the Title IV-E stipend at SFSU that you could apply to at the same time the other application was due?

I think you only hear about the Title IV-E stipend when you're admitted. They go through the admitted people w/ interest and them schedule interviews.

At least that's what happened with my sdsu application. Once I was admitted they interviewed me. I should hear back this week :-)

I think you only hear about the Title IV-E stipend when you're admitted. They go through the admitted people w/ interest and them schedule interviews.

At least that's what happened with my sdsu application. Once I was admitted they interviewed me. I should hear back this week :-)

Ok thank you! & Congrats!

Yeah, I haven't heard anything from any of the 7 schools I applied to. I even went on two interviews at Loma Linda and an interview at Azusa Pacific. Nothing yet. Ahhhhh.

Edited by Jōsh Medina

hi: I feel better now after reading your comments. I applied in December for the MSW program at SFSU. I got a financial aid award but have not received an admission letter yet, even though, we were promised an early decision if we applied before the April 15 deadline. Now, I am told that letters are scheduled to go out in the mail end of April! Oi Vey! I have been admitted to UChicago but it makes economic sense to go to SFSU.

Hi there, the deadline for the MSW program at SFSU was December 16th, not April 15th. I'm not sure why someone would have told you that they promised an early decision if you applied before an April deadline...because they opened their admissions up on Oct. 15 and Closed it on December 16th, I went back and opened up my application link/download (everything was done online as you know) and that was the last day you could apply. Did you hear something different? Or is it a different program you're meaning? They had the shortest application period out of any school I applied to and I had to do their's first, but there was no early admissions date because it was only 2 months total.

Hi lisbeth: you are right. Mah bad! yeah, i am confusing SFSU with UChicago. Unfortunately, I got accepted to UChicago, but it would make economic sense to go to SFSU. I think I may just have to give up. I was told by the department ( I called) that they will be sending letters out on the last day of April.

Hey there, yeah well at least you got in somewhere! And if you don't want to go there, wait and apply this year again to other cal states too (not that I'd want to do it again..but if you really want to be here and save the money). Thanks for letting us know that they said they're sending out letters the last day of april! Everyone's been saying either this week or next but someone also said at the Soonest next week...so I figured this might crawl well into May...but if you're right, then we'll all hear the first week of may :) Good luck! I don't exactly have my hopes up lol.

Hey there, yeah well at least you got in somewhere! And if you don't want to go there, wait and apply this year again to other cal states too (not that I'd want to do it again..but if you really want to be here and save the money). Thanks for letting us know that they said they're sending out letters the last day of april! Everyone's been saying either this week or next but someone also said at the Soonest next week...so I figured this might crawl well into May...but if you're right, then we'll all hear the first week of may :) Good luck! I don't exactly have my hopes up lol.

You are right! I am never doing this again...it was a nightmare and took too much time...then there is all this waiting etc....nope...never again.I see you have accepted CSUDH.....congratulations! I wish you all the very best in your endeavors too :)

Oh, yeah, I was very lucky when I called the department, someone answered. She told me that the admissions staff were just finalizing the applications and they will be sending letters of acceptance in the mail at the end of April. Good luck to all of you waiting....I hear they will only select 25 and have been inundated with applications.

Edited by Nina Moreno

For those of us who got interim financial aid awards from SFSU, you should have another email from the financial aid award office bearing good news that the SUG will be available to eligible graduate students for 2012-2013. It covers the tuition fee, which is probably why our awards were less than the COA. The SUG is approx the difference.

Wonderful news because tis the only free money we get....I'll gratefully accept it. Glory hallelujah! This is awesome news :-)

Edited by Nina Moreno

did they really say that they wouldn't mail out letters until the *last* day of April?! UGH.

Nina: I am also having the dilemma between waiting for SFSU/a financially smart decision, and going forward with a program at a private school where I was accepted. It is so tricky... putting down a deposit for one program, and potentially expecting to change one's mind if SFSU ever gets back to us with positive news... I empathize!

did they really say that they wouldn't mail out letters until the *last* day of April?! UGH.

Nina: I am also having the dilemma between waiting for SFSU/a financially smart decision, and going forward with a program at a private school where I was accepted. It is so tricky... putting down a deposit for one program, and potentially expecting to change one's mind if SFSU ever gets back to us with positive news... I empathize!

Unfortunately, Trees, that is exactly what the lady who answered the phone said...but I am hoping that they say that to everyone and may mail it out within the next week or so. Oh thank God! I feel so much better now knowing I am not the only one with that dilemma. But, I am told that they have waiting lists they can select from and that is some consolation. I just wish SFSU would speed up the admittance process, because I am definitely throwing caution and inconsideration to the winds and accepting SFSU's offer if they accept me. I feel bad because UChicago has done all this work, gave me a preliminary financial aid award and a $19,000 scholarship which covers half the tuition, but I still have $42,000 in loan I have to borrow. Compare that to $27,100 at SFSU, I would be mad not to accept SFSU's offer. I have undergrad loans too :(

Anyways, we can only wait, pray like crazy and hope for the best :)