Anyone thinking about 'Plan B'?

Jwnich1

So as a second time applicant, abeit with a much stronger application this time, I'm nervous. Sitting around waiting for decisions, really puts my nerves on edge. I'm starting to consider what happens if I'm rejected again; determining a plan B.

At first thought, taking courses at a local university, trying to work my way in to a research assistant post etc.crossed my mind. It seems to me though that most local schools won't let me simply "take courses" and most research posts in my field, no matter how junior, require you to have or work towards an advanced degree.

Bottom line: What is a political science junkie supposed to do, if he can't get himself in to a PhD program this year?

I worked hard, and fervently hope I make it, and I wish everyone else the best, but whose started to think about alternatives?

Edited by Jwnich1

Hmmm, I'll work for another year (I have job security, as long as my boss doesn't sell the business), and apply to more schools next year. So, more of the same for me, if I don't get admitted.

Best,

-the lizard

Probably apply for residence hall director positions, or whatever other work I can find, and wait it out. Not great prospects with an undergraduate degree in psychology.

I feel like it's very hard for the social sciences to find intermediate positions. I've seen a lot of listings online for research assistant posts for the hard sciences that only require a bachelors. This route seems like a great opportunity to build a CV.

I suppose if I don't get accepted, I'll see if i can attend conferences, maybe start an article etc.

I am trying to keep a positive attitude, but I believe in being prepared. Good luck to all!

--Justin

I am definetely thinking about plan B. It helps me feel like I have some control to consider what I might do next. This is my second time around as well and I don't think I see myself doing this a third time next year. I improved my application this year and honestly don't see what else I could do to improve year 3.

My options are to apply for an MA program and possibly try again in a couple of years or consider teaching at a community college. I could also stay on my current career track and look for a new job. While I have a great and flexible job right now I am bored with it and need something new and more challanging.

One small problem when considering plan B is the complete lack of excitement about either option which reminds me how much I really want to get a PhD.

If you're willing to apply a third time around, Justin, the article/conference route could be a big plus on your applications next year.

As for other alternatives for a poli sci junkie...are you an American Politics person? You could fill your 2012 with volunteering for a campaign or something related. If you're into CP or IR, you might consider applying to the Fulbright program for a fully-funded and fascinating year abroad in the country of your choice. It's a thousand percent worth it, and it's free to you. Now that's just awesome. Don't get me wrong--it's super hard work and some days I stare at the wall and say "whyyyyy?" but it's life-changing and a great way to fill a year of uncertainty. A lot of my friends from Fulbright have figured out where they're headed because of their experiences with the program.

My personal plan B is a one year masters at St. Andrews, though there will be, of course, no funding. The question is whether plan B is worth more loans. Bah.

I'm actually acting on plan B. I don't expect to get into either of the two schools I applied to.

I lack experience in a lab setting, so I've been looking for lowpaid jobs and unpaid internships (I only have about a year of experience). As when I was an undergrad, it's near impossible to find anything even when you'll work for free. I just hope I find something so I can actually have a better application and not just be a strong candidate, but a competitive one.

I'm actually acting on plan B. I don't expect to get into either of the two schools I applied to.

I lack experience in a lab setting, so I've been looking for lowpaid jobs and unpaid internships (I only have about a year of experience). As when I was an undergrad, it's near impossible to find anything even when you'll work for free. I just hope I find something so I can actually have a better application and not just be a strong candidate, but a competitive one.

I had a similar situation after a poor showing in the 2010 cycle. I feel caught between a rock and a hard spot now, because I took a job out of the field that pays well, but takes up all of my time and doesn't match my interests at all. My plan B would nesscitate moving to a different job to provide more flexibility.

If you're willing to apply a third time around, Justin, the article/conference route could be a big plus on your applications next year.

As for other alternatives for a poli sci junkie...are you an American Politics person? You could fill your 2012 with volunteering for a campaign or something related. If you're into CP or IR, you might consider applying to the Fulbright program for a fully-funded and fascinating year abroad in the country of your choice. It's a thousand percent worth it, and it's free to you. Now that's just awesome. Don't get me wrong--it's super hard work and some days I stare at the wall and say "whyyyyy?" but it's life-changing and a great way to fill a year of uncertainty. A lot of my friends from Fulbright have figured out where they're headed because of their experiences with the program.

My personal plan B is a one year masters at St. Andrews, though there will be, of course, no funding. The question is whether plan B is worth more loans. Bah.

I'm at the intersection of methodology, political psychology and IR. Very interested in the causes of war, and crisis bargaining, which bleed in to all of those areas. A fulbright would be an amazing opportunity. Thanks for the ideas! - I really hope I don't need to act on any of them, and I feel very good about this years prospects, but I like to feel like I'm in control of my future too.

Best,

Justin

Dude, Justin, as far as I'm concerned, I think you have the perfect mindset right now. Keep it up. By the way, I LOVE your research interests. They're not my primary ones, but that is absolutely fascinating, and more power to you! I am looking forward to cheering you on with acceptances, bro.

I work abroad and had to turn down my work contract in December in order to plan to move back to the states for school. Keeping my job until I hear back is not an option. Also, after four years abroad I am ready to move back to the states for personal reasons. So, I have no job and no residence when I move back in the next 5 months. Fortunately, I have savings that I could live a year without work. I don't want to do that though. I want to get my PhD!

So what is my plan B?

I don't think I will reapply to a PhD program if I don't get in anywhere this year. Kudos to those of you that keep trying. I am a strong believer that if things don't happen, they weren't meant to be. My plan B is to pursue my other passion; writing and starting my non-profit while living off my savings. After dedicating 10 years in education and eradicating inequities, if none of the schools accept me, this is no longer the field for me.

I could easily go back to my old job in the states, but that would be frustrating. I might even go back abroad after a year or so in the states. Either way, I am not reapplying. So this is my one shot.

55647.jpg

This, where I'm Lisa. Haha, not serious... I'm awkwardly getting a promotion at my job right now, so I could just ride that for another year if I had to. And I'm writing a couple of papers for publication/conferences as far as keeping up with academia goes.

I had a similar situation after a poor showing in the 2010 cycle. I feel caught between a rock and a hard spot now, because I took a job out of the field that pays well, but takes up all of my time and doesn't match my interests at all. My plan B would nesscitate moving to a different job to provide more flexibility.

I'm at the intersection of methodology, political psychology and IR. Very interested in the causes of war, and crisis bargaining, which bleed in to all of those areas. A fulbright would be an amazing opportunity. Thanks for the ideas! - I really hope I don't need to act on any of them, and I feel very good about this years prospects, but I like to feel like I'm in control of my future too.

Best,

Justin

Have you thought about working in DC? You can probably work for a bunch of places that do stuff in that field without a PhD.

Have you thought about working in DC? You can probably work for a bunch of places that do stuff in that field without a PhD.

I have considered this but ultimately I want to teach and conduct research in an academic setting. The causes of war are still a big, unanswered fundamental question in the field, which I want to work on.

Whirlibird - thanks for the words of encouragement, I look forward to cheering tou on as well! What are your primary areas of interest?

I'm currently applying to research assistant positions in my field as my Plan B.

I feel so much better now that I've already gotten an interview for an RAship at a top place (a day after turning in my app materials!), not only about my grad school prospects but also about the next year in general.

Will definitely re-apply if I don't get in this year.

I did already start sending out resumes as a just in case. I have a family, so I cannot wait around for the next application cycle :( I figure I can give working a year or two and re-evaluate my situation. If I still really want to go to grad school then I can start working on apps again.

As an older student (ahem), I have already been in the work force. I hated what I was doing so I went back to school full time with a double major. This is the only thing that makes me feel truly happy and I cannot imagine going back to the work force after trying to make a change for myself (actually makes me burst into tears to think about). But, I am looking at a different industry, so who knows maybe I will find some enjoyment in it. With a 95%+ rejection rate in Anthro programs I had better have a plan B...

I have no Plan B. I just got back from the Peace Corps and am starting work as a bartender while I wait to hear back from schools. I tried to give myself a safety (Tennessee) but as we all know, it's hard actually to have safeties when applying for grad school. Since I'm hoping to work in human rights/with refugees, I would basically get whatever position I could (even volunteer) to try and get my foot in the door somewhere. I've already found a place or two in Nashville that I can at least volunteer at, if it comes to it. Luckily, I have a fiancee with a "real" job, so I don't have to stress TOO too much about supporting myself, although I'd like to be able to.

Personally, I've found that I work best when I kind of "wing it" and just roll with whatever comes my way. I'm also of the mindset that things will happen the way they're supposed to, even if it's stressful and not in the way I originally hoped. I sure would be nice if THIS went the way I wanted, though :)

I do have a plan B mapped out- I plan to apply for a scholarship in another country if my US schools fall through. If that doesn't happen as well, plan C will be to take up my postgraduate studies in my own country. I really hope it doesn't come to that though- the programs that are set up in my discipline are kind of new and only have a handful of dedicated faculty compared to those abroad. I'm also not sure if I want to continue to a PhD so my master's could be my only postgraduate degree, so I want to go all out for it.

I found myself in existential crisis yesterday night. I'd better come up with a plan B soon, otherwise I'm going to give it all up. I wish there was a Starfleet or Jedi Academy.

Well, if everything else fails, I'm founding these two.

I am a second time applicant who has just received their first rejection letter of the 2012 application session. Plain and simple, I'm drained, irritated, and hungry. I am currently awaiting to hear from school numero dos; I'm hopeful,but I don't have my heart set on anything.

Plan B: After copious amounts of stress eating and online shopping, I have decided to jump ship from speech pathology to occupational therapy. I am enrolled in the OT prerequisites at a local university, have set up some volunteer hours with the OT at work (I work in Special Ed. classrooms), and have sent in applications for a second/higher paying job.

Self-pity gets reallllllllllllllllly boring after a while. On to the next one, on to the next one!

Ugh, the longer I wait the more nervous I become. I don't really have a solid Plan B ... I suppose my options are A) staying at my current job (NO!), B ) applying for an MA abroad or C) moving back home and looking for temp work or some kind of internship there. None of those are particularly horrible, but going through this whole process has made me realize just how much I WANT to go to grad school and do my PhD, so it will really, really suck if I get rejected across the board.

Edited by coffeeplease

Ugh, the longer I wait the more nervous I become. I don't really have a solid Plan B ... I suppose my options are A) staying at my current job (NO!), B ) applying for an MA abroad or C) moving back home and looking for temp work or some kind of internship there. None of those are particularly horrible, but going through this whole process has made me realize just how much I WANT to go to grad school and do my PhD, so it will really, really suck if I get rejected across the board.

I completely understand this feeling. My current job drains me, and isn't anywhere near political science - so I feel tired, and sincerely want to return to my field. I really want this and my biggest fear right now is across the board rejection. This has recently been heightened by a couple things. A) One of the schools I've applied to has started to contact their top picks, and all I've heard is silence. I'm slightly mollified by the fact that while I'm a good fit for several professors, I'm not an excellent fit for the department. B) Exactly one year ago from yesterday/today - people started hearing back from my top choice. So far - slience (however, I don't think anyones heard back from them yet)

Edited by Jwnich1

I am probably going to train to be a pro boxer and maybe open a women's boxing gym in Seattle. Right? Right.

In all seriousness, I'm in the same position, after a miserable application cycle in 2010, except now I have a mortgage. Heh.

If you're a political science junkie, you should consider DC, if only to get some real-life experience that can build your resume and influence your later academic work. Although, that's about what I tried to do over the last 2 years, so I'll let you know how that works out :)

I'm a year 2 applicant as well and not sure about my Plan B; I don't think about it too much. I can definitely stay at my job for another year so at least I have that but it would be extremely painful to do so. I'm just going with the 'wait and see' method. No need to panic or worry about Plan B yet. When it happens, then I'll figure it all out. For me, the wait and see helps me stay sane.

I am glad to hear that we are all in the same boat.

I can't help but feel a little jilted by lack of response from ad-coms; it is a stark contrast to the warm, receptive and encouraging feedback I received from professors (and even a dean) at the schools to which I am applying.

After considering my options, I don't believe I will be applying to PhD programs again next year. I have spent the last four years fastidiously working for a variety of employers in the Biopharma industry ( laid of twice, thanks to the rotten economy), without promotion. I am starting to wonder if this line of work is really the best fit for me.

My thoughts: run off and join the circus!

Or , more realistically: seek out a M.Sc or certificate program that puts a different spin on what I currently do (drug discovery research), hopefully opening up the door for new options.

Any suggestions? My B.Sc was in Microbiology, if that helps. Also, I am creatively inclined and like low-pressure and quiet working conditions.