Anyone thinking about 'Plan B'?

Jwnich1

I am probably going to train to be a pro boxer and maybe open a women's boxing gym in Seattle. Right? Right.

My plan C: become an MMA prizefighter. I suggested this to my parents, and their response was: "Couldn't you have told us this before we paid for braces?" Thanks guys

I completely understand this feeling. My current job drains me, and isn't anywhere near political science - so I feel tired, and sincerely want to return to my field. I really want this and my biggest fear right now is across the board rejection.

Same here with my current job. I know I will always have it, but, at the end of the day, I feel so defeated. I work in finance, and all I want to do is study English and read lovely books. I used to take acting classes. Maybe I'll start that again after rejection season. At least, I can become other people for awhile.

Second time around for me, but it feels more like first time as the original first time was back in 2009 applying to PhD programs when I didn't have a clue. I applied very selectively, and mainly targeted programs that I know fund well. I will hear from all of them pretty much simultaneously (first two or three weeks of March) and could well be in the middle of nowhere when they get in touch.

Having spent two pretty tough years in rural field postings, I'm ready to be in a capital city - whether that's DC, London, Paris or Kinshasa. Being in the boonies with no social life leaves a lot to be desired after two years. My current contract ends in June but I imagine I could extend, the question is whether I could move to the capital...

Plan B - I should have three months between hearing back and this job ending, so that's going to be a time of lots of job applications and looking for lateral (if not vertical) moves in my current job. Something has to change though, as I'm starting to feel a touch ground down.

Edited by fenderpete

I have the gears working on a Nurse-Midwifery backup plan, ready to be implemented in late March when/if news of rejection comes. If people are concerned about backup plans, check into accelerated bacc's, some feature masters as well. Most are in health-related fields, but it's a quick way to get something done.

Plan B - I should have three months between hearing back and this job ending, so that's going to be a time of lots of job applications and looking for lateral (if not vertical) moves in my current job. Something has to change though, as I'm starting to feel a touch ground down.

I'm in a similar situation, and am totally right there with the sentiment that *something* has to change. Upon learning that I was applying to graduate school, my PI began the process of hiring (2) people to replace me... so it looks like I'll be making *some* major change in the next few months. I just wish I could have decisions on the rest of my applications sooner. It's so hard to put 'Plan B' into place while your whole heart is still hopelessly devoted to 'Plan A'. Thankfully my Plan B (either a MS, SMP, or post-bacc) is just the longer, scenic route toward Plan A. The longer, scenic route with a $50,000+ toll. :unsure:

I'm in a similar situation, and am totally right there with the sentiment that *something* has to change. Upon learning that I was applying to graduate school, my PI began the process of hiring (2) people to replace me... so it looks like I'll be making *some* major change in the next few months. I just wish I could have decisions on the rest of my applications sooner. It's so hard to put 'Plan B' into place while your whole heart is still hopelessly devoted to 'Plan A'. Thankfully my Plan B (either a MS, SMP, or post-bacc) is just the longer, scenic route toward Plan A. The longer, scenic route with a $50,000+ toll. :unsure:

Indeed, something must change. I am extremely grateful to have a good job in this economy, but I definitely took a side route and now need to return to my plan while I still can. I am slightly jealous that there are Masters / Post-Bacc options for science students. These options are few and far between for the social sciences as far as I can tell. Perhaps I'm wrong?

I'm kind of also in a position professionally now where I feel like time out in academia and coming back would actually multiply my attractiveness to employers. I feel like I should have tonnes of momentum after two years of climbing the ranks, but instead I feel kind of stalled and know it'll be tough to jump up a rung without an MA and time to schmooze with an internship. I wouldn't mind skipping 5yrs right about now.

Indeed, something must change. I am extremely grateful to have a good job in this economy, but I definitely took a side route and now need to return to my plan while I still can. I am slightly jealous that there are Masters / Post-Bacc options for science students. These options are few and far between for the social sciences as far as I can tell. Perhaps I'm wrong?

I've seen them for journalism, but most undergrads are impacted that offer them so they're not too popular of programs. From my research, you're right, for social sciences and humanities options are limited. Psychology has a lot of back up options though, what's your brand of Social Science?

I have a couple:

As an older student, I'd only go to grad school if I get into a "top" school (whatever that means) but you can tell by the list of places I've applied... So, if I do not get into any of the schools I'm applying I'll be looking at the MFAs offered long distance: that way I don't have to move, change my life completely for two years to go on an adventure that could end up being awesome but it could also be just ok...

I won't be applying again (as I did this time), I'd be just focusing on the schools that are building up their distance programs and hopefully by the time I'll be applying again I'll have even more choices...

Also, I've always been employed (even during the last 3 years while working on my undergrad degree in painting)...

I'm glad that I am not the only one starting to freak and turn to back up plans! As I have research interests towards intervention methodologies for adolescents in terms of academic achievement, I suppose I would simply get myself in the field and begin to practice what I would want to go to school for. Our local juvenile hall has just went out into the community asking for volunteers for tutoring so that the adolescents can catch up/ continue their education. As a writing/statistics tutor for my current college, I already plan to volunteer for them, but I think if I was rejected by all schools that I would dedicate a lot more of my time for this new program.

Quite simply, I would probably walk into the facility ready to unleash every statistically significant method I've ever read for these youth. I'd probably hold some crummy other job but I would be doing what I wanted to, and come next application round I could apply to my POIs like "I'VE BEEN IMPLEMENTING YOUR RESEARCH FOR THE PAST YEAR" like a crazy academic research stalker.

I just constantly ask myself why I want my Ph.D., and in the answer I can find other ways to fulfill my inner drive :)

I have a couple:

As an older student, I'd only go to grad school if I get into a "top" school (whatever that means) but you can tell by the list of places I've applied... So, if I do not get into any of the schools I'm applying I'll be looking at the MFAs offered long distance: that way I don't have to move, change my life completely for two years to go on an adventure that could end up being awesome but it could also be just ok...

I can relate to you on this one. I am in the same situation. Fortunately, I have a partner who is willing to support me but I was geographically limited to applying places where my partner could get work. If I had been single, I would have applied all over the world. Financially I am very constrained :( so I absolutely cannot consider a program that does not offer a good financial aid package, especially if we have to move. Two of the programs I applied to require a drastic move and I am not sure we could honestly afford the move even if I was offer an excellent package!

I also will not apply again next year if I don't get in. I will have to work and start paying back my student loans before I could even imagine throwing away another $700 on the process. In many ways, this process makes me feel selfish because my family has sacrificed so much for me to pursue a very private goal.

I'd love to hear some Plan Bs for humanities people. I've taken a year off (unemployed and living at home while taking language classes to prepare for graduate study) and I feel completely unqualified for anything besides academia (and even then . . . ) . The deadline for teaching with Fullbright has long since passed, as have those of most English abroad programs that I'd love to do to grow my own linguistic skills. I'm debating applying for Teach for America, but feel guilty that, while I consider the improvement of education in poorer schools a really admirable goal in others, it's not really one of my primary goals in life. As others have noticed, humanities don't really have the option of research assistantships. Does anyone have any good ideas for a mere history B.A.?

I worked in a museum for a while and they were clamoring for history majors, does your historical period have a museum? lol, because you would definitely have a leg up on those applications. Also, the Smithsonian offers a ton of scholarships and centers for study, and jobs.

I'd love to hear some Plan Bs for humanities people. I've taken a year off (unemployed and living at home while taking language classes to prepare for graduate study) and I feel completely unqualified for anything besides academia (and even then . . . ) . The deadline for teaching with Fullbright has long since passed, as have those of most English abroad programs that I'd love to do to grow my own linguistic skills. I'm debating applying for Teach for America, but feel guilty that, while I consider the improvement of education in poorer schools a really admirable goal in others, it's not really one of my primary goals in life. As others have noticed, humanities don't really have the option of research assistantships. Does anyone have any good ideas for a mere history B.A.?

Edited by BreathingSister

I worked in a museum for a while and they were clamoring for history majors, does your historical period have a museum? lol, because you would definitely have a leg up on those applications. Also, the Smithsonian offers a ton of scholarships and centers for study, and jobs.

I'm struggling to find museums that will pay me enough to live on. I've been scouring museums' job/employment pages, and it just seems like everything either requires a PhD, or is unpaid.

I spend the last three weeks worrying I wouldn't get in anywhere. Now, I'm starting to think the year off might be beneficial to my health. I've been out of undergrad 10 years, so I feel, on the one hand, there's really no time to lose. On the other hand, working and earning an MA has been pretty hard on me physically. Plan B for me, therefore, involves a great deal of yoga, a great deal of weight lifting, back strengthening exercises, long walks, cooking for myself instead of eating so much freakin' chinese take out...oh yeah, and taking a vacation that doesn't involve writing a 20 page research paper.

I have been worried sick about not getting in anywhere that I applied. I applied to all PHDs and one MA, as a plan B. I just found out I've gotten into the MA and have full funding. This gave me a ton of relief, but it seems too potentially emotionally devastating to consider that I'll get into one of the PHD programs, so for now I'm focusing on learning about the city that the MA is in. Oh, and constantly refreshing the boards and my email box, while yelling at my partner, "Why are they not emailing me???" My partner's response has been, "Because it is midnight on a Saturday."

Oh, and constantly refreshing the boards and my email box, while yelling at my partner, "Why are they not emailing me???" My partner's response has been, "Because it is midnight on a Saturday."

Haha this is me also. What keeps going through my head is the scene in Harry Potter where Mr. Dursley is taunting Harry. "You know what the best part of Sunday is Harry? Why, there's no post on Sunday. *cackle*"

I'm struggling to find museums that will pay me enough to live on. I've been scouring museums' job/employment pages, and it just seems like everything either requires a PhD, or is unpaid.

Look into offerings from the Smithsonian and other huge institutions like it? Or archive work. Might have to get a shit job and intern for a bit, but it's experience.

I finished my B.A. in May and came to the US on a 12-month working visa in October. I have applied to over 200 jobs - not an exaggeration! Have been offered a few jobs but couldn't take them because the visa is so restrictive. I'm regretting not applying to grad school directly after my B.A. but, in another way, after having lived through unemployment for a few months I have a new-found appreciation for work and university that I wouldn't have if I had stayed in school.

I've applied to three US schools and they're my plan As. Plan B is a masters course back in my country which would be free but really want to stay in the States. The results section of the site has 2 of the 3 schools I applied to getting back about admission at the start/mid February so I'm trying to keep cool but with no job to keep me busy it's tough (although David Sedaris is doing a pretty good job of distractig me!).

Best of luck everyone!

It is wise to have a plan B, yet I always feel guilty telling people what my "back-up" plan is when they have dedicated their career to that field...

Regardless, if I have to, I am already scheduled to take the Actuarial exams so that I can crunch numbers if rejected. *sigh*

Do you all think that the "gap" year(s) improves your appeal to ad-comms?

I guess that depends on what your gap year consists of... if you putz about doing nothing then I strongly doubt it. If you pursue a Plan B that makes sense (especially if it improves your application, like gettin gmore research experience) then it had better help!

get an internship in DC that forces you to network with similar organizations of interest.

doesn't matter if it's a nonprofit, foundation, bipartisan, or a consulting firm.

networking in DC is one productive way to spend an "extra year" on before reapplying and attending grad school. you'd be surprised how many orgs/people will be looking out and waiting for you once you graduate.

I am definetely thinking about plan B. It helps me feel like I have some control to consider what I might do next. This is my second time around as well and I don't think I see myself doing this a third time next year. I improved my application this year and honestly don't see what else I could do to improve year 3.

One small problem when considering plan B is the complete lack of excitement about either option which reminds me how much I really want to get a PhD.

I'm in the exact same boat. Getting a PhD in my field is my biggest dream. This is my second time around. I don't think I could improve my application. Inevitably, there are people who are smarter/look better on paper than I do, but I am really hoping that my CV, thesis, and the interviews that I had with my POIs last year make me look like a strong candidate to adcoms. Doing this again isn't even an option. I applied to 13 programs this year and with all the fees, sending GRE scores, transcripts, and writing sample hardcopies, I spent about $1100. Huge investment, and I hope it pays off. I wouldn't be able to do this again emotionally, either. Applying is exhausting and anxiety springs forth when you're writing the app, talking to POIs, waiting....

My husband and I have a Plan B. We'll stay here and work for a year or two while paying down my student loans from undergrad and saving for a home. Then we'll move somewhere that isn't populated with 3 million people, and I'll get my teaching credential and teach in high schools - hopefully AP Art History. It will be bittersweet at first, but in the end of course it would all be OK because what really matters to me is my life with my husband.

Still hoping to get accepted to a PhD program though! I feel like it would be unlikely that I'd get rejected from 11 PhD programs, but I'm scared of getting my hopes up.

I'm also a 2nd year applicant (History). My apps are much better this year, or so I am told. All the same, I've been thinking about plan B quite a bit. I don't really feel like chasing this for another year; I'm ready for the next big thing, whatever it is. So, I've been considering everything from law to physical therapy. This week, I am pondering social work and have decided to do some volunteering while I wait this out.

Good luck, everyone.