Anyone thinking about 'Plan B'?

Jwnich1

I applied last year and started plan B before I ever gor my rejection notice. Started taking grad level classes tangential to my field, and signed up for (talked my way in to) an independent study that I've been contibnuing for the last three quarters. I'm alreading assuming I won't get in this year (although one of my LOR was from the department chair) and I'm working on getting a job in a stat lab for the next year or so.

I think my situation is a little bit frustrating. I am an international student finishing a MA in PoliSci (school is out of rank). My undergraduate degree was in English. Political Science research in China is very underdeveloped and my interest has absolutely nothing to do with economics or development, so I don't exactly have a Plan B unless you count becoming a dissident of my home country as one.

I thought I could directly get into PHD after I finish, but this year doesn't look good for me.

Edited by dec4rhapsody

I found myself in existential crisis yesterday night. I'd better come up with a plan B soon, otherwise I'm going to give it all up. I wish there was a Starfleet or Jedi Academy.

Well, if everything else fails, I'm founding these two.

Doesn't Disneyland have a Jedi Academy? :D

I took a gap year to get more field experience in my area of interest.

If this application season falls through I suppose I could pursue some more field assistantships because I get to travel to new places and experience new projects. Unfortunately most of these positions are seasonal (lasting ~ 3 months), so I have to constantly think about where I will apply next.

I think I would benefit most from getting a more full-time research assistant/associate position so that I can improve my lab skills and maybe even get minor authorship on a paper if I join at the right time. But with the changes in the NSF funding procedures I don't know when or if labs will start offering these positions this year.

And of course I've been told to consider "applying more broadly" if I end up applying to grad school again. I guess that means emailing even more potential advisors, and then re-emailing the ones who don't respond even though their program specifically states, "Applicants need to make contact with potential advisors beforehand in order to be considered for admission."

Sigh. I don't mind writing essays/filling out applications. But I'm really not looking forward to spending more hours crafting thoughtful introduction emails to POIs when I know they quite likely won't read them.

Don't get me wrong, I love EEB and it's the best feeling in the world to hear back from a POI, but the silences make the EEB application process so discouraging sometimes...

Plan B?? What is this.... Plan.. B?

Just kidding.. No, my plan B is doing a terminal MA at the uni I am currently at. I am fairly certain I will get in there, and then come the Fall I will try again...

I was wondering how many years people try to get in before moving on. If I don't get in this year, I'm going to give myself one more shot. I'lll worry about Plan B in another year!

This is my second year applying, and I can't see myself "moving on" yet, even if i don't get in anywhere this year...

I think it depends on the person. At the moment, I would say that if I don't get in this round, I'm not re-applying. I simply can't go through this again, don't want to deal with getting LORs again, and need to just move on if this doesn't work out. Props to those of y'all that can put yourself through re-applying, but I can't bear the thought.

I think it depends on the person. At the moment, I would say that if I don't get in this round, I'm not re-applying. I simply can't go through this again, don't want to deal with getting LORs again, and need to just move on if this doesn't work out. Props to those of y'all that can put yourself through re-applying, but I can't bear the thought.

but maybe... applying might end up being a process like childbirth - they say you forget all the pain afterward? hopefully?

MAT item:

pregnancy : grad application as

labor : ______________

a. January

b. February

c. March

d. April

e. all of the above

Edited by bythesea

After my first two rejections I started planning in earnest, because I have a feeling I won't be getting in anywhere this year. I compromised in my interests, trying to make my SoP match my transcripts as best as possible, and I think I was too vague and unfocused. I had some research interests floating around in my head for a couple years, but I ignored them and second-guessed myself too much.

First, I'm going to try to figure out how to get health insurance and get more treatment for my depression, because it'll be really hard to do what's next without it.

Then I'm switching fields from linguistics to religion. I'm going to enroll as a post-baccalaureate student here at UF for the fall or even this summer (depending on deadlines), take some classes to improve my transcript & get new recommenders, then do a MA in religion here at UF as well (hopefully, but I'm confident I can get in here). Then once I have that under my belt, I'll apply to PhD programs again, with stronger letters of recommendation and a more focused area of interest. I'll take the time to contact PoIs before I apply, which I didn't do this time. Basically, since my dream is to get into Harvard or another school with a top Asian Studies / Asian Religions / Sanskrit program, I'm going to spend the next 2-3 years making myself the perfect applicant for those programs.

Once my first excitement after submitting application went away, I faced reality. My chances to be admitted are really not that high. There are some though.

So having plan B is just rational.

Plan B shouldn't be complete boredom, so the single thought about it makes you get a lemon face. If I don't get in my masters program, I pack my stuff, leave job, and... migrate for some time to Ireland :) wanted to live a bit there from the times of childhood. Will be cool :) New :) Exciting :) Feeling wind kissing my face :D Problems with work permit, visa, bla-bla-bla is a different thing. At least will have a lot of stuff to do after mourning my rejection.

Ireland sounds nice, I kinda wish that were an option.

For me, it's take another 4 or 5 classes, strengthen application. Try again, and write better sops, apply to more schools, and thoroughly communicate with faculty at all schools starting early in the Summer. Then repeat months of neurotic waiting.

Failing that, plan C is to look for a full-time job in the field. All plans (except possibly plan A), involve leaving Arizona ASAP. This state is making me crazy (weather, politics, urban sprawl), and it's definitely time to go.

What a terrifying, but useful topic.

This is my 2nd time as well. I feel like my application is as strong as it can possibly be. If I don't get in this year, is it time to consider another path? I have a MA, so I've been teaching full time as a visiting lecturer (which I love), but this year is last year they'll have full time, non-ongoing positions (due to budget cuts). I can't afford to adjunct... so... does this mean I give up on this career if I don't get in this year?

I would totally try for a permanent position, but someone would need to leave or retire for one to become vacant.

This uncertainty makes my heart, and head, ache.

First year applicant here. Ten schools applied to, four rejections so far and no communication whatsoever from the other six, which leads me to believe are also rejections (no contact for an interview or anything is a pretty bad sign). When I was in high school and applying for college, I got in to all five or six schools so I thought I should have applied to "better" schools. Looks like I made the opposite mistake this time and applied to too man top schools.

Oh well, I guess another year being a research assistant for me...

My plan B is to teach high school Latin and try again next year. But since this is my first go at PhD land (currently finishing an MA), that'd be 2 rounds of apps. Which would be expensive, espeically as I'd be dealing with student loan payments. But honestly, I think a second round would be the limit. At 35, I really don't have the time to keep pouring into this.

*sigh*

My plan B is to teach high school Latin and try again next year. But since this is my first go at PhD land (currently finishing an MA), that'd be 2 rounds of apps. Which would be expensive, espeically as I'd be dealing with student loan payments. But honestly, I think a second round would be the limit. At 35, I really don't have the time to keep pouring into this.

*sigh*

Actually, teaching at the high school level might not be a bad idea. It could be part-time, and I could strengthen my application by teaching and taking a few more classes. That's something to think about. Thanks for posting this. :)

Actually, teaching at the high school level might not be a bad idea. It could be part-time, and I could strengthen my application by teaching and taking a few more classes. That's something to think about. Thanks for posting this. :)

Well, that was MY plan, but I guess I can share it. ;) It would probably work with a fair number of majors, now that you mention it.

This is my third time applying so I've had to go through the Plan B route several times. I thought that this time I wouldn't have to come up with yet another Plan B but here I am. I've gotten better (more positive) responses from grad schools this time but still no acceptances (yet). I think my Plan B would be to take an extra semester to finish my master's thesis so I could run the full design I originally wanted instead of having had to make cuts. I would also see if my university would let me keep my job for the next year so I would have some income. Also, I would consider re-taking the GRE (ugh). My scores are actually pretty decent, but I think that if there is one thing wrong with my application it is that my scores aren't as high as other applicants (though still way above the minimum requirement).

In a weird way, I actually wouldn't mind taking an extra semester to finish my master's thesis study and have used that to spin my Plan B in a positive light.

Well, that was MY plan, but I guess I can share it. ;) It would probably work with a fair number of majors, now that you mention it.

I didn't realize it was a limited resource. Thanks for sharing ;)

In a weird way, I actually wouldn't mind taking an extra semester to finish my master's thesis study and have used that to spin my Plan B in a positive light.

Isn't the idea of spinning it into a positive light a little disheartening? I mean, it's nice to know I have options, but it's kinda like having to choose between a U-Haul and a Radio Flyer to move to a new house. :lol: