Unrelated to applications: Who else is working on their thesis?

So on top of riding the waves of anxieties engendered by a perpetual assessment of whether or not our scholastic aptitude will be seen as promising by our most favored AdComm boards, I'm sure many of us are similarly pulling out hair and gnashing teeth over composing Master's or undergraduate theses. At least I know I am. Although I'm applying to Composition & Rhetoric PhD programs my thesis is somewhat literature-based, and since I think most in this forum are applying to literature programs I thought it could be cool to hear what you're all on working on/what your main research interests are if you've already completed a thesis. I'm interested to see if my thesis falls within similar milieus of your own literary interests, and maybe we can try to channel some of our anxieties over acceptances with what we know best--academic discussion! Given the extensive conversation about alcoholic beverages of choice in another thread, if we merge the two this could potentially be like our own virtual book club, haha. Anyhow, my thesis compares Walter Pater's solipsistic subject attempting to transgress the bounds of its confinement through art with the avenues in which George Eliot's Dorothea Brooke similarly attempts to escape the literal and figurative edifices created by the Victorian female's domestic identity. Anyone else into Victorian lit/aesthetic theory/George Eliot/etc? Anyone else even interested in the any of the topics proposed by this thread? The boozy book club at least has to be some sort of selling point...

Edited by andsoitgoes161

Stupidly, I scheduled my thesis defense for early December, a few days after all my most important applications were due. So my presentation was a little lackluster. Nevertheless, they all thought it was great and I had no revisions. Prezi was my lifesaver. It is so zoomtastic that no one noticed when I lost my train of thought. Yes. Zoomtastic. I'm not even a comp/rhet person. What am I doing in this thread? Sorry! I hope I'm not making a major forum faux-pas.

Yes, am also working on my thesis. I'm defending in April and have 60-80 pages to write by March 2nd. Drafts of my first two chapters are due at the end of January--eep! Broadly put, my thesis is an ecocritical reading of California literature. I used a chapter as my writing sample so now I "just" have two chapters (and intro and conclusion) to write and tons of reading to do. :|

But it's much easier to think about thesis now that all the apps are done and out of my hands. Wheatgrass, I don't know how you finished your thesis and defended while working on applications! Damn!! It was hard enough to write my proposal and defend it the day before my first 4 applications were due.

Glad to know others are also dealing with this while waiting on pins and needles for the ax to fall...

Edited by bespeckled

I am not doing a thesis but rather a master's paper [for pragmatic reasons in getting it into a journal as well as the fact that the thesis just felt like a lot of grunt work when I had the option between the two). I'm working on Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath, arguing that the democratic philosophy of Jim Casy is inspired by the metaphysics of a little-known UCLA philosopher named John Elof Boodin. I have some archival evidence in which Steinbeck even wrote to Boodin and asked to use his philosophical ideas in his fiction. Interesting stuff.

I thankfully took a professor's advice and ended up not doing an undergrad thesis, choosing to do an independent study instead. Luckily, my school's on a trimester system, so I finished my independent study and writing sample (which developed out of it) before apps were due. Such a relief to be taking blow-off classes right now (to the extent that any classes at my school can be considered blow-offs, which is not much of an extent...)

I'm writing my thesis! It's on semiotics, translation theory, and the Phaedra myth, so it's a cross between literature and language stuff. Intro is done, but I have to keep moving on it...have lots to write!

I'm not applying to graduate school this application season (I'm a junior), but I am working on a longer paper via an independent study. It's certainly not thesis-length though, as the paper is probably going to be somewhere in the 25-35 page range. I'm working almost exclusively with theory, especially issues of trans/posthumanism, embodiment, and ethics.

All of the projects outlined above sound fascinating. Best of luck to all of you! ^_^

Edited by Two Espressos

I was working on my thesis this time last year. Even though it is completely nerve-wracking writing the thesis while anxiously awaiting responses, it is a very good way to keep your mind off things for a while. I honestly don't know how I did it. Good luck to everyone that is working on theirs right now. You DO deserve a medal!

May I make a suggestion to all of you currently working on an MA?

Be careful when you check your email! I was taking my comps around the time that final rejections were coming out last year, and I was waitlisted at my top choice school. I chose to completely stay away from my email and the results boards the entire morning of my second writing day in case bad news was waiting for me. I opened it up after I was done with the writing portion of my exam only to find a rejection that had arrived about 15 minutes before I began writing and would have totally thrown off my exams.

Best of luck to you all!

I will definitely take that advice into account. I'm already freaked out over the KU rejections, though I didn't apply there (I am very sorry to everyone who had to hear back so early, and with not-so-great news), and so I can't even imagine what my life will be like over the next month and a half. I guess I should be thankful that an odd, unprecedented force of motivation has entered my body over the past four weeks, enabling me to bang out more than 50 pages of my thesis. At this rate, hopefully I can be revising the project rather than writing it as rejections (acceptances??) begin to roll in. EEK!!!

So glad I found these forums. I, too, am working on my MA thesis while teaching 2 sections of first year composition and avoiding all conversations about "the waiting game". My adviser told me this was a nice "warm-up" for the professor life, and I have to agree that it's been a pleasant change to focus on just teaching and writing about what I want to write about, rather than classes.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm working on a departmental honors thesis. By working on I mean "thinking about and not writing anything." It was accepted for presentation at an undergraduate honors conference in Baltimore in April, so I am in FULL panic mode. It's due in April, too. Between my 2 1/2‒year‒old and a full load of classes, I'm having difficulty finding time.

Still, I am deeply invested in my topic and am so excited to have the opportunity to work independently with my interests. I'm writing on Alasdair Gray pictured below, a somewhat obscure (in the States) Scottish writer. I'm focusing on Foucault and Merleau‒Ponty for my theoretical basis to explore the relationships between bodies, sex, disease and institutional and cultural structures in Lanark and Poor Things. It's minimum 30 pages, but will likely be between 50 and 60.

It's clear to me that I need to get off here and do some work.

Edited by Julianne Pigoon

I'm working on my preliminary thesis outline/drafts/proposal, but thankfully not dealing with the application madness yet (next fall). I hope to finish at about the time I'll be starting applications, but I don't know how realistic that is. Luckily there's no time constraint--I could continue to work on it until next spring. Of course I'd like to finish early... but procrastination and I go back a loooong way.

My thesis is on modern and postmodern posthumanist fictions, and the theoretical division (or lack thereof) between "trans-" and "post-" humanism in works by Ishiguro, Atwood, and a few non-literary texts (films, TV shows, etc.). I'll also probably try to throw some genre theory in there. I'm pretty excited about it. :D

I'm 70 pages into my MA thesis on alternative theories of digital embodiment. I am finding it incredibly hard to stay motivated now that I have the luxury of 2 acceptances w/ fellowships. My director told me at this point it just had to be done, but (as I'm sure many of you can relate) I want it to meet my incredibly high standards.

Any ideas for staying motivated, friends?

Ugh, I feel the same way about having a ton of writing done, insisting that it meet my high expectations, but no longer feeling totally pumped to do it; however, I don't (yet?) have the luxury of any acceptances. I know that when I start getting word back from schools though, no matter what the result, my motivation will completely peter off. Thank goodness I've only got half my last chapter and conclusion left, as I believe next week will finally be when I begin to hear back from schools.

I find that I have to structure myself with time limits when it comes to wrapping things up: if I wake up and force myself to at least look at my project and try to work on it for two hours, even if it's only revising some part of it, I usually end up working longer and writing at least 8-10 more pages. This isn't always the case, but more often than not I'll produce more text if I resolve myself to just sitting down with it...and then I have a perfect amount to work on revising for a couple hours the next day. I've also allowed myself to work on it every other day at this point, since I've gotten so much done. Rewards are a big motivator too--I have told myself I'm not allowed to go to yoga if I don't work on the project for a minimal amount of time, and though I know not everyone is big into yoga, maybe you can find something else you like to do that can act as some sort of carrot.

By the way, has anyone else started to dream that they're writing their thesis? For the past two to three weeks I have woken up every day in the middle of dreaming I'm writing lucid, viable material. If only I could remember what it was for longer than those first waking moments!

By the way, has anyone else started to dream that they're writing their thesis? For the past two to three weeks I have woken up every day in the middle of dreaming I'm writing lucid, viable material. If only I could remember what it was for longer than those first waking moments!

Yes! it's incredibly frustrating, although many things appear to go wrong in my dream thesisland as well. I've tried the time structures as well, but my main problem is that my time is not my own since I teach 2 freshmen comp sections and have more administrative duties than most tenure track professors (my MA program is ABSURD). I've found I'm only able to write between 11pm and 3am, which makes my morning teaching a disaster. Luckily the rough draft is due next week, and I hope to return to a normal life shortly after.

I'm currently working on my undergraduate honors thesis (which will probably end up being between 40-50 pages) that is due mid-April. I'm examining how Renaissance magic (hermeticism, cabalism, some asides to witchcraft) functioned alongside humanism in Early Modern drama. I'm looking at some of the less frequently read pieces such as Bale's King Johan and some of Jonson's masques (Masque of Blackness, The Fortunate Isles), and then of course the biggies of Doctor Faustus, The Alchemist, and The Tempest. It has been incredibly hard to focus, especially with two rejections over the past couple of days. It's difficult to work with immediate deadlines when I'm constantly thinking of the future. :wacko:

I did an undergraduate thesis for both of my majors. For Classics, I wrote about the legacy of Ancient Greek conceptions of Egypt and its influence on early silent film. It was a great paper, one of the best things I've ever written. My Lit seminar paper was pretty blah. It was about posthumanism as an expression of Cold War paranoia/trauma in David Cronenberg films, mostly Scanners and Videodrome.

Edited by perrykm2

I haven't dreamt about my thesis yet, but I woke up with Native Son and Othello in my bed one morning and thought, 'Well--this can't be good Feng-Shui."

Hilarious!

My MA thesis is due on the 28th. It still requires a ton of attention, writing, and refinement. I must be approaching 40K words; it should be around 150 pages when I complete. I cannot wait to finish it; spending twelve hour days re-reading my writing is getting me down. Recently I've been questioning whether this is really the line of work I wish to pursue. That may change with an acceptance, however!

hey i know this thread is a bit dead but I'm struggling with my thesis. I can't get anything done b/c i'm not motivated, but also i'm a little confused as to what in hell i'm supposed to be doing. I'm supposed to be working on a proposal but... the sample I was given i guess left a lot to be desired. So i'm confused.

also i'm supposed to be graduating with my MA in the summer... does any one think this might made doctorate programs not want to accept me b/c of the close schedule? I'm beginning to think that even if I got accepted, a program might not like how close the dates are for my MA being conferred and their program starting. Thoughts?

ps. I'm exhausted.

hey i know this thread is a bit dead but I'm struggling with my thesis. I can't get anything done b/c i'm not motivated, but also i'm a little confused as to what in hell i'm supposed to be doing. I'm supposed to be working on a proposal but... the sample I was given i guess left a lot to be desired. So i'm confused.

also i'm supposed to be graduating with my MA in the summer... does any one think this might made doctorate programs not want to accept me b/c of the close schedule? I'm beginning to think that even if I got accepted, a program might not like how close the dates are for my MA being conferred and their program starting. Thoughts?

ps. I'm exhausted.

Unfortunately I have no advice to give on the summer MA graduation, but I can commiserate regarding the thesis writing. My suggestion is to ask anyone in your program, especially recently graduate students and your director, what they suggest. I know my proposal was VERY different from the others in my program because of my topic and my director's specifications. Best of luck.

Anyone else have a stack of grading in addition to thesis writing? Teaching 2-2 is ridic.