Accepted to Peabody - Master's

robo24wolverine

I'm in the MPP program and have heard nothing about scholarships, so I'm assuming I have not got one.  I did just get offered a grad assistantship that seems pretty amazing but they want to know by the 15th. AHhhhh!!!  

I haven't heard back from HGSE yet, but I assume with getting money to Vanderbilt, that's going to make it my top choice anyway.  

Also, Lbessmer, I don't think it's hard to get an assistantship.  Just bug people.  Email professors, Rosie Moody, etc. until someone gives you some options.  That's what I did.  

Congrats on the assistantship!  Is there some sort of database or something where you can look at the assistantship opportunities.. or do you just email professors / Rosie Moody etc.and ask what opportunities are available?  

I got the associate editor of the Peabody Journal of Education assistantship and I had asked Rosie if there were any opportunities.  I'm not sure how things connected, but the Professor and current grad assistant asked for qualified candidates and were given my information.  I guess they interviewed a few people.  I am still waiting to hear the details on how much it pays...  It would probably have to be full tuition to make me choose it over HSGE though... and even then... I don't know.  

I was unexpectedly admitted into HGSE last night and now I'm facing a crisis! Vandy was always my top choice and I know I want to be there, but I hate myself for getting caught up in the name behind Harvard. Does anyone have any advice for choosing one over the other? (or, really, in helping me confirm that I want to choose Vandy over Harvard and that I'm not shooting myself in the foot?) :) Feel free to PM me too! Thank you!

Feel free to debate the pros and cons of both here - I'm interested in hearing what people have to say about the programs.  I didn't apply to the MA at Harvard, only the Ed.D... partly because I felt the MA would just be too expensive for me at the end of the day (but also, more importantly, because I heard there would be a greater chance I would be deferred to the MA program rather than accepted to Ed.D if I checked the box).  

There are many aid opportunities available at vanderbilt and the cost of living is lower.  And for me at least, the program is longer at Vanderbilt (IEPM) - 2 years as opposed to 1 year, and I really like the flexibility that gives me in taking courses that prepare me professionally but also allows me to explore my academic interests more thoroughly if I want to reapply for PhDs afterwards.  

I know what you mean about the name though... I am kind of regretting not applying for the MA at Harvard, and wondering if I will be tempted by Columbia or UCLA if I get accepted to those, even though I'm pretty sure I'd be paying considerably more.  It scares me a little that Vanderbilt doesn't seem to be well known internationally, especially since I am doing an International Education program.  

I think I want to make a spreadsheet and quantify the pros/cons a bit... although I HATE it when my high school is given a letter grade through a similar process.  I still may make the decision from my gut at the end of it.  What kinds of things are you guys putting on your pro/con lists, and how are you grading them?  

Vanderbilt is probably offering me the best opportunity to stand out through the Honors Scholarship, research opportunities, etc.  

However, I really want to end up making this decision based on what is going to help me grow in my weaker areas.  I may make a financially unwise decision, just because this whole grad school thing is ultimately more for my personal aim at learning what I want to learn than for my career/monetary advancement.  Perhaps that is foolhardy.

As scary as graduating with  loans is, I'm trying to think about it in terms of the rest of my life (obviously we all are) and what HSGE would mean vs Peabody.  Even though I loved the program and Peabody is such a great place, I just can't imagine that I have the option to go to Harvard and I wouldn't take it.  

I agree that it seems silly to get caught up in the name, but when it comes to schools, I think that does matter in how people view you and what they think when they look at a resume, etc.  That being said, Vanderbilt obviously has really strong connections a lot of places and the practicum experience sounded great.  

For me, I think my gut is just saying I have to go to Harvard.  I haven't stopped smiling since I saw the letter.   

Well still no news on scholarships here. And no news is definitely not good news when waiting for a scholarship. I guess I will wait a couple more weeks before contacting them.  :mellow:

Maybe you should go ahead and ask them - I contacted someone and they responded with, "You should be receiving a letter soon informing you that you received the Dean's Tuition Scholarship." 

Hey guys, I got into the Higher Ed Administration program today at Peabody (They apparently didn't get my transcripts, I had to contact them out of the blue about a week ago to find this out and then they expedited my review).  I'm in the midst of applying for a bunch of GA positions and it seems like there's a lot of great opportunities.  I haven't heard anything about whether or not I've gotten a scholarship though, who can I contact to ask about that?  Rosie? 

Rosie is the person who told me about my Dean's Tuition Scholarship.  But she doesn't have any information on endowed scholarships, and said those would be coming out separately sometime over the next week. 

About GAs - I heard that they would start interviewing people for Special Ed GAs in late may / early June.  And I also heard that they weren't interviewing for other possibilities earlier than that.  What GA positions are you applying for - and how are you finding out about them? 

I called Rosie today and just asked what GA positions were still available and what I could do to apply.  A few hours later she sent me an e-mail with attachments detailing the ones that hadn't been filled yet.

Thanks for the info on the scholarships though, I'll have to look into that

Thanks ay761, I just emailed Rosie to see if she had any scholarship info for me.

And yes, it definitely varies by program. Higher Ed has assistantships available to apply for already because it's required to have one for the program I'm guessing. I interviewed for one but I definitely need to apply for more.

I came home to a letter today that I received a 1/3 Dean's Tuition Scholarship.  That plus the GA position makes me feel a little crazy turning it down... but I'm about to do just that.  I have to go to Harvard.  I'm just too in love with their program.  This opens up a GA position for an Ed Policy major, although I know they interviewed other candidates, so it is likely they will pass the position to one of them.  

Best of luck to everyone!  Peabody really is so amazing.  

Oh dear! I have not received any information in the mail yet. I just e-mailed Rosie to see if she had any information on financial aid or scholarships. I'm wondering if I just might not be up to snuff for a scholarship? I don't know what kind of academic credentials they require--I have a 3.76 undergrad GPA and I've been working in admissions for two years. And still no word on the assistantship front, though I applied to about ten. I find it hard to believe that they can expect people to pay full price, without any assistance from a GA or financial aid/scholarships, but maybe they do! I'm crossing my fingers.

An international student, I also applied for the Human Development Counseling program at Vanderbilt - specifically the clinical route. I'm starting to get a little nervous to say the least. Emailed someone at admissions, but no reply as yet. Is it worth phoning up? Anyone else still waiting?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in!! Got an email from the secretary yesterday. So happy!! Congratulations to anyone that has been accepted. I think they are sending out offer letters next week. I feel so incredibly fortunate.