I didn't think waiting would be this hard.

imisscoffee

Ok. I didn't think waiting would be this hard. IT IS SOOOO HARD! I CAN'T STAND IT ANY MORE, I AM GOING CRAZY! I started taking a class at Berkeley (auditing) but now I'm worried that if I don't get in anywhere I am just going to feel like a dufus for taking a class. I should be doing other productive things and building my resume, but I can't seem to pin down what I should be doing. And if I don't get it, then REALLY what should I be doing? Should I apply again next year, even though the clock - including the biological clock - is ticking? Should I try for a more professional program than I did this time around, one that will make me money? How will I ever get more letters of recommendation if I try for another program? I think I wore my letter-writers out enough this time.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else?

Haha, we are ALL in this together. Everyone's worst is out and about now! Lol.

Not to fret, it's just time (even though it IS your worst enemy at this point). I find a lot of books and movies help to not only make time pass by just a wee bit quicker, but I can relate to someone else's problems. At this point, I'd rather relate to how X is cheating on Y, or how X is going to destroy the world if Y doesn't somehow save us in some crazy awesome blow-up-crap way. :) Sooooo much more bearable than... did I get in? when will I know? :D

I think if I don't get accepted..........I don't know actually. I've spent so long trying to find a good job I don't know what I'd do. Maybe go teach english in Korea or something

i'm with you--taking two language classes even though i could graduated last semester. i keep telling myself i'm going to get a job or do anything really other than getting depressed and drinking to pass the time. if i don't get in literally anywhere, this is going to be so regrettable.

i'm with you--taking two language classes even though i could graduated last semester. i keep telling myself i'm going to get a job or do anything really other than getting depressed and drinking to pass the time. if i don't get in literally anywhere, this is going to be so regrettable.

The only job I got since graduation is a part time retail job. Living in a rural area makes it worse

I know if I were to tell others about how to go around applying to grad school I'd mention how painful and exhausing waiting for responses is. They just glaze over the wait like time disappears or something, whereas grad school wait time actually grows to an abnormal rate where every day without a response feels like a week.

grad school wait time actually grows to an abnormal rate where every day without a response feels like a week.

My application went in for review on 1/20... I feel like it's been three months that they have been looking at it. Just tell me already!!!!! :(

I know this will sound like such a silly question, but how do you tell if your application went in for review? Everyone seems to know and I'm just sitting by the computer alternately twiddling my thumbs, checking my emails, and biting my nails. The schools I applied to, all competitive schools, probably too competitive, haven't sent me any updates or anything. I've heard nothing from any of them. Should I just assume that I've been rejected? ughhh.

I know this is easier said than done, but I tried really hard to pound this into my brain last year around this time, in regards to the schools that give a time frame for receiving decisions, say "all decisions will go out in March," I tried to just accept the fact that there was absolutely nothing I could do about it, no amount of emailing, calling, obsessing, or fixating would get me a decision any faster than when they said I would get it. I think when you allow yourself to realize that than it's easier to relax...like "what's the point of working myself up into a frenzy when it won't result in anything?" Think of it as a way to give yourself a pass to relax and at least you know won't be getting a reject letter right now.

The schools that aren't kind enough to give you any sense of decision time are a bit different I guess...that is of course much harder emotionally, especially when you don't know how decisions go out...all at once or as they decide. One of my schools just said "spring time" or something like that. I didn't find out until April and it definitely turned into torture as February and March trudged on. Some days I considered it a relief to not get anything in the mail like it was at least one more day that I was still in the running. Any day you don't get a reject is a good thing. But of course that logic only provides slight relief for so long. I think at this point because it is still pretty early in the game, I mean some of my deadlines weren't until like Feb and March...so I feel like it would be beneficial to still try really hard to take comfort in the fact that you're done with your applications and to kind of be at peace with that because it is an accomplishment in itself. There's absolutely no point in even thinking about it, again much easier said than done of course, until at least the deadlines pass..unless it's a rolling deadline. Just try to accept that you're probably going to be waiting for a while, there's nothing you can do about it and try not to get so worked up right now...

I know this will sound like such a silly question, but how do you tell if your application went in for review? Everyone seems to know and I'm just sitting by the computer alternately twiddling my thumbs, checking my emails, and biting my nails. The schools I applied to, all competitive schools, probably too competitive, haven't sent me any updates or anything. I've heard nothing from any of them. Should I just assume that I've been rejected? ughhh.

Most of the schools I applied to e-mailed me to inform me that my application was complete and sent in for review.

Worst case, call the office?

I compulsively check my email every half hour or so on my phone. I really need to get a grip...

LOL! I emailed my sister today telling her I needed an intervention... :wacko:

Must. stop. checking. email...UGH

Yeah, I basically planned a pre-emptive intervention on myself. Planned vacations after submitting all of my applications, so I kept myself busy for a weak and a half before coming back to bite my nails. So while I am starting to get nervous, especially since other applicants are starting to get early results back(at one specific school that I am thinking about they say that most students will not hear back till mid February to early March), I am probably more calm then if I had been at home all the time with nothing to do.

Edited by Kitkat

It's weird how time can move so slowly where decisions are concerned, yet so quickly in all other respects. For instance, I'm already into my second week of my final semester and I'm woefully behind. I feel like this month flew by at work while tasks piled up and I got nothing done :(

I'm not exactly sure what has been worse this past month, waiting for decisions or having people on a daily basis ask me if I've heard back yet. My patience is wearing thin having to constantly tell people, "no, I haven't heard back yet" only for them to respond with "awwwww, that's too bad." I really shouldn't have told anyone I was applying.

Now that I have a rejection, it makes this even worse... people asking me if I've heard back, and me having to tell them, "Yeah. Austin booted me."

I talk about my apllications A LOT. I think my roommate has had it! I am so anxious to hear back and to know how I have been evaluated. The wait is so rough. I agree with one of the above posters, books and movies help. I am also participating in some on campus activities, and trying to prep for interviews and visits as a way to pass the time. Maybe we will get acceptances for valentines?

Haha! My roommates are definitely planning a GradCafe intervention on me. There's already an apartment-wide moratorium on application talk, now I have to sneakily check gradcafe when they're not looking B)

I'm not exactly sure what has been worse this past month, waiting for decisions or having people on a daily basis ask me if I've heard back yet. My patience is wearing thin having to constantly tell people, "no, I haven't heard back yet" only for them to respond with "awwwww, that's too bad." I really shouldn't have told anyone I was applying.

Seriously... I had someone ask me yesterday, " So, is applying to grad school hard or something?"

Yeah..."or something." UGH

Ok. I didn't think waiting would be this hard. IT IS SOOOO HARD! I CAN'T STAND IT ANY MORE, I AM GOING CRAZY! I started taking a class at Berkeley (auditing) but now I'm worried that if I don't get in anywhere I am just going to feel like a dufus for taking a class. I should be doing other productive things and building my resume, but I can't seem to pin down what I should be doing. And if I don't get it, then REALLY what should I be doing? Should I apply again next year, even though the clock - including the biological clock - is ticking? Should I try for a more professional program than I did this time around, one that will make me money? How will I ever get more letters of recommendation if I try for another program? I think I wore my letter-writers out enough this time.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else?

I feel ya. Turns out the first round of acceptances went out to U of Louisville applicants (comp/rhet PhD). Two people posted their acceptances (via email) on the survey board. I didn't receive anything, which means either I'm still being considered or rejected. Ohhh, the waiting game...

I feel ya. Turns out the first round of acceptances went out to U of Louisville applicants (comp/rhet PhD). Two people posted their acceptances (via email) on the survey board. I didn't receive anything, which means either I'm still being considered or rejected. Ohhh, the waiting game...

fingers crossed for you!!