Art History PhD Hopefuls: Any News?

cokohlik

Thanks losemygrip. I sent you a PM.

cokohlik, thanks for the condolences. it is amazing how frustrating it can be to not get into a program that I didn't want to get into and wouldn't have attended. :)

Hi everyone, like most here I've followed the results board as one by one schools to which I've applied have sent out their small clutch of acceptances and I find myself it seems, without a golden ticket. Whilst I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact I didn't get in to these programs I'm curious that I've heard NOTHING whatsover (acceptance, rejection, or perhaps the most cruelly tantalizing, 'waitlisted'). Can someone explain how this phase of the process works? I'm inferring that since acceptances have been sent out, all decisions (thumb raised and thumb lowered...imagining ad comm as laurel-wearing, smirking senators) have been made- the flood of formal rejections simply being deferred until those previously contacted officially accept their invitations. Or is their still hope in silence?

Hey there - just saw that you were admitted by CUNY - I have not heard anything but saw on the results survey that people checked on the website - I don't see any info on the website... where did you hear?

I've officially made my decision! I'll be heading to UMass Amherst in the fall and hopefully working with Monika Schmitter. I don't suppose there's anyone else around here who is heading to the program or thinking about it?

I've officially made my decision! I'll be heading to UMass Amherst in the fall and hopefully working with Monika Schmitter. I don't suppose there's anyone else around here who is heading to the program or thinking about it?

Congratulations!! I'm not, but I have a friend who is currently there. PM me if you want her contact info. :)

Just got my Emory rejection. It was a very fancy letter on letterhead and signed. Oooh, ahhh. (Emailed attachment.)

It hurts but not as much as UCSB because I already knew since February that I didn't get in when I wasn't invited to the welcome weekend.

Sigh.

Please, PhD Program? PLEASEEEE?

Did everyone's emory rejection letter say: "thank you so much for your application, which we read with great interest" ?

Mine did.

In the body of the email she said "We wish you well for your future."

Spoiler alert. :angry: (Not that I didn't already know I'd been rejected ;):rolleyes: )

it's so sad knowing the letter was probably written a while ago and was just sitting in the computer waiting to be sent and that there are probably more pending of the same sort that I have to look forward to.

it's so sad knowing the letter was probably written a while ago and was just sitting in the computer waiting to be sent and that there are probably more pending of the same sort that I have to look forward to.

:( How many programs did you apply to?

i applied to 6: emory, upitt, bryn mawr, williams, rutgers, umich (first two i've been rejected)

Sorry to hear about Emory & UPitt but I have my fingers crossed for you for the other schools! Hopefully you'll hear really soon.

first of all congrats to the recent admits, and sorry to those who had bad days :( I have heard ZERO from all the places that came out today (IFA, Emory, UDel)... I'm trying to tell myself I'm on a secret wait list or something haha. good luck to everyone in the next couple days!

I'm dying with anticipation now... I keep checking this website like a crazy person.

I'm still waiting for a response from Harvard, CUNY, Columbia, and MIT (HTC) [all art history PhD]. Given that people seem to have heard from Harvard, Columbia and CUNY already it's making me a wee bit anxious. I'm guessing Harvard is a no go and that, since I live in Europe, I'll be getting my rejection via post at a delayed rate. My question marks are Columbia and CUNY.

If I didn't get an invite to the open house thing at Columbia, does that mean it's a no go?

It seems like some people have heard from CUNY? Would love to know what you heard from them and how you heard it :)

grrr...still no word from Temple, therefore I'm assuming a rejection, but they are on break this week so that means more waiting. I finally broke down and e-mailed them only to receive an automated message saying they were gone for the week...at least its Friday. :(

Hicks - I've given up on Temple. I've emailed twice in the last 2 weeks about my application issues and didn't even get a response. it makes me really upset to think my chances are lowered because they must be having issues with their system. grrr. still no news from ifa, udel, columbia, unc, or upenn.... just tell me im rejected already.

Hicks - I've given up on Temple. I've emailed twice in the last 2 weeks about my application issues and didn't even get a response. it makes me really upset to think my chances are lowered because they must be having issues with their system. grrr. still no news from ifa, udel, columbia, unc, or upenn.... just tell me im rejected already.

Same here for UDel & UNC. Which programs do you apply to for those schools? MA or PhD?

The last of the Bryn Mawr decisions will be sent out on Monday. I am assuming they are all rejections at this point but I don't know for sure.

That's very interesting! I assume they are all rejections too, but ... you never know. Fingers crossed for all of us. I hope we can all be together and storm the Bryn Mawr castle!!!!

Hicks - I've given up on Temple. I've emailed twice in the last 2 weeks about my application issues and didn't even get a response. it makes me really upset to think my chances are lowered because they must be having issues with their system.

I did the same thing...I emailed Temple about my application issues with the Banner system and I got no response. I even sent my GREs and transcripts to both the main graduate address AND Tyler, which doubled my application fees, but Temple was my first choice and I wanted to make sure they had everything. I visited the school in the fall and met with the DGS and a PhD student--they warned me that the system was deeply flawed. Hopefully they still have some good news for us in the near future!

Hey there - just saw that you were admitted by CUNY - I have not heard anything but saw on the results survey that people checked on the website - I don't see any info on the website... where did you hear?

Hi mandasue555, I received an email on Tuesday (March 6) from the the department chair/executive officer Kevin Murphy with details of my offer and fellowship information. There doesn't seem to be a fixed date on their website for notifying candidates, so don't be surprised if they continue rolling out offers (and rejections) gradually. I was told prospective students had until April 15 to reply to their offer of admission fyi. Good luck!

Hi mandasue555, I received an email on Tuesday (March 6) from the the department chair/executive officer Kevin Murphy with details of my offer and fellowship information. There doesn't seem to be a fixed date on their website for notifying candidates, so don't be surprised if they continue rolling out offers (and rejections) gradually. I was told prospective students had until April 15 to reply to their offer of admission fyi. Good luck!

Thanks for the info - and congrats on your offer!