Art History PhD Hopefuls: Any News?

cokohlik

That is better than last year when they had 245 applications and filled 9 spots. :) But, not much. I didn't apply for the Art History program at Yale because they don't have anyone that lined up with my interests. But, I applied to Yale's American Studies program and their Art & Religion in the Institute of Sacred Music (both to work with Sally Promey). I haven't heard from either of them yet. The Institute of Sacred Music is very programmatic in their approach and tell everyone up front that they mail out decisions on March 15th. But, the American Studies program is in the same boat as Art History. No news and with the addition of the interview no one knows what to think as far as timeline.

@artofdescribing I'm curious about the tough questions if you don't mind divulging.

@artofdescribing - congrats for the waitlist at Penn - did you have an interview there if you don't mind my asking?

No, I didn't have an official interview. I don't think they conduct interviews for Penn's art history program.

@artofdescribing I'm curious about the tough questions if you don't mind divulging.

I don't want to go into to much detail for the sake of anonymity, but they asked a lot of questions about my work, how it relates to other scholars' work, if I had read this or that scholar and what I thought of them, etc. They definitely weren't questions I had prepared to answer so I was a bit flummoxed. I'm also worried that I came off too heavy on wanting to pursue a certain methodology, that the department isn't necessarily known for. But they did ask me about it, and I couldn't figure out how to get myself out of that corner. Luckily, it's pretty trendy right now so it's not terrible that I expressed a penchant for it. I just hope I was able to express that I'm not 100% committed to it and that's just been the best lens (avenue, perhaps?) to pursue my current interests. I suspect that I'll be getting a waitlist out of the interview instead of an acceptance. I don't think I did terribly bad or terribly well.

Thanks, cokohlik! It's "just" UMass Amherst, but I already know my POI there fairly well, and she does some amazing work that's very in line with my interests. I also went to undergrad in the area and am maybe secretly dying to move back there. I even spent the weekend there for my birthday recently, if that tells you anything :)

Thanks, cokohlik! It's "just" UMass Amherst, but I already know my POI there fairly well, and she does some amazing work that's very in line with my interests. I also went to undergrad in the area and am maybe secretly dying to move back there. I even spent the weekend there for my birthday recently, if that tells you anything :)

Hehe! That's so awesome! It sounds like a gorgeous campus and an even more gorgeous state. I've never been to MA, but my parents have regaled me with stories. :) So happy for you!

Hey guys!

I just and I'd appreciate any advice/comments about how to navigate the murky waters of "I applied to this MA program but my real hope lies in the 11 PhD programs I also applied to." My POI knows this, but I don't know if she remembers. Shortlisted w/ interview on Sunday.

Thanks!

:wub:

It appears news is squeaking out about BU and UMichigan. How is it that in previous years, these would have been later to notify, but this year they're earlier than the schools that usually notify much earlier. Gripe.

I know! I'm a BU applicant, and I looked back in the results archives to see when they typically notify...and it's been late March to early April! What is going on? On that note, if it's not too fresh, are any of the BU applicants who have posted results willing to talk? I'm curious about the details of the e-mail and stats. PMs are fine!

Hi all, I could use some advice. Y'all know me in here and you can easily figure it out but to make me feel better I'll say Schools A and 1 (so as to not imply preference). I applied to MA/PhD programs at both School A and School 1, and every intent was for the schools to be equal. They are both Top-20 schools in art history; if anything, School 1 "ranks" lower.

School A accepted me to the PhD program itself on February 3rd - the earliest I've ever seen - and nominated me for a fellowship, which I believe makes it clear that they think I am an outstanding candidate. School A is also one that fully funds its students so even if I don't get a fellowship I'd have a TA or RA.

My POI from School 1 just e-mailed me stating that "before your application could be favorably considered" I should contact at least two and ideally FOUR other professors in the department (!).

What should I do? I don't have the time or, frankly, the energy to call up or visit two let alone four professors and beg for acceptance. Even if I can convince them, I can't help but feel that I'd be "POI's student" in the department, were I to attend. There's also a slim chance, I think, of School 1 accepting me to the PhD program like School A did, and having less coursework is very attractive to me.

Should I struggle to keep my options open or just nip this in the bud? Obviously, bridge-burning and snark would be academic suicide, not to mention mean and stupid. I'm seriously considering writing a polite reply along the lines of, "Thank you for your concern but I have already been offered a PhD acceptance."

Thank you very much for your help.

Checked my Brown status after the results board showed Brown results. OH MY GOD I GOT IN. Top choice, first thing I've heard. I almost don't want to believe it (does the website lie? Is this a cruel joke?) Imma go have me a happy Valentine's Day.

Ah. MAZE. ing. After all the worrying I could sense from your corner, I bet this comes as a tremendous, joyous relief. Congratulations; I am so, so happy for you!!!!!!!!

And for the weekly news from my neck of the woods... NOTHING.

I don't understand why I am expecting to hear anything (and becoming anxious about the silence) when so many of the schools to which I've applied don't notify until March, but here I am, biting my nails anyway. I think I've finally gotten to the stage where worrying has set in, which is just so gosh-darn annoying, as I KNOW it can't possibly be productive! But... I wanna know!

Should I struggle to keep my options open or just nip this in the bud? Obviously, bridge-burning and snark would be academic suicide, not to mention mean and stupid. I'm seriously considering writing a polite reply along the lines of, "Thank you for your concern but I have already been offered a PhD acceptance."

Thank you very much for your help.

I am not terribly experienced, but this does seem like an odd request from the POI at School 1 at what feels like a late date in the game. Taking all offers out of the equation, are you truly as excited about School 1 as you are about School A? I know you said they were both meant to be equal, but it sounds like you're less enthusiastic about School 1 than you are about School A. Just make sure that you're not bypassing an opportunity to do something you love because School 1 managed to scuff your pride a bit (which is never a fun thing). On the other hand, if the prospect of contacting the other professors at School 1 leaves you feeling exhausted rather than exhilarated, apart from normal nervousness/anxiety, that's valuable information for your decision-making.

You sound pretty comfortable with School A. I'd just make sure that you feel as comfortable with how you chose your path, say, five years from now, as you do today.

And of course, a decline should ALWAYS be more tactful than an acceptance. No burned bridges! Unless you told School 1 that they were your top choice, a school expects you to weigh your options and sometimes not attend if offered admission. But you strike me as pretty thoughtful, so I don't think you have to worry about snark leaking out if you do end up telling School 1 that you'll be attending elsewhere. :)

I applied to Yale and judging from the one admit I'm not feeling to good about my chances. It was a reach anyway. But congrats and to the UDEL admit. I'm hoping to get into UDEL's MA program. Did anyone else apply to udel for the ma and have you heard anything?

The uncertainty/speculation is making me crazy though. Is this the week or is this not the week? Should my hopes be dashed or is there still a chance?

(Edit: At least that is the roller coaster I happen to be on today. Hope other Yale hopefuls are faring better than I)

Edited by Hugh10