Art History PhD Hopefuls: Any News?

cokohlik

I was warned by a friend NOT to follow this forum as it is only anxiety and stress inducing, but here I am, and alas, I checked the results page. Seeing as Stanford sent out interview requests, and I did not receive one, I'll take that as a sign. This is going to be sooooo much fun!

Also, in regards to the discussion above, I too am attempting to go straight from a BA to a PhD program. I spoke with a POI from Stanford on the phone who admitted that in recent years, the Department has tended to accept more and more students who already have MAs. However, a professor at Princeton said BA/MA has no bearing on your candidacy. Let's hope that holds true.

Finally, does anyone know which schools tend to schedule interviews prior to making their final decisions? I was told that both NYU and Williams like to interview applicants... Thanks in advance!

In the past, NYU has interviewed candidates, although I'm not sure if they interview everyone or what the process is. I'd love more info, if anyone has it!

I'm curious about anyone's thoughts on Yale interviews. The articles in the daily mail make it look like they'll be interviewing in all humanities depts, but maybe that won't happen...? Good luck, guys! I was also warned about not going on the forums, but a little camaraderie is actually really helping me cope with the next few weeks!

I'm curious about anyone's thoughts on Yale interviews.

I dissected this topic all weekend long until my SO finally threatened to hide my bag of avocados (aka my crack) so that I would shut up about it. Here are the three, slightly contradictory, conclusions I reached before said threat of avocado punishment was put forth.

1. That Daily article was written very recently, as in two weeks ago. I imagine they made this decision fairly late in the game, therefore they might not be able to enforce it this year.

2. The AH dept might perform very perfunctory interviews with candidates they've already decided to accept in order to meet the new requirements.

3. If they do decide to conduct real interviews, it would probably push their fairly consistent admissions calendar back a week a two. We might not stop hearing about acceptances until first or second week of March.

4. They might say f*** it and not hold any interviews.

@artofdescribing, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who's obsessed! It would just really throw the timeline off, seeing as it doesn't seem like anyone has heard about interviews yet. I met with my POI in the spring, so a part of me is hoping that he'll just count that and everything will be wonderful. A girl can dream...?

All of your conclusions are reasonable. I guess we'll just have to sit tight and wait until we get our answer. Avocados are DEFINITELY one of my comfort go-tos. Every night I come home and half an avocado with salt and a glass of wine. I will be continuing this ritual even after I hear back.

Congrats to the UCSB PhD acceptance! :D Yay!! Anyone want to claim it? I'm jealous that wherever you are, it's the third of February, and I'm in little ol' California where it's still only 8pm on February 2nd. :lol:

Art History: The forgotten department. What the duck's going on!?!!! We need some representation on the results board ASAP!!

I know! What's with all the silence from Art History departments? We're all in suspense here!

@artofdescribing, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who's obsessed! It would just really throw the timeline off, seeing as it doesn't seem like anyone has heard about interviews yet. I met with my POI in the spring, so a part of me is hoping that he'll just count that and everything will be wonderful. A girl can dream...?

All of your conclusions are reasonable. I guess we'll just have to sit tight and wait until we get our answer. Avocados are DEFINITELY one of my comfort go-tos. Every night I come home and half an avocado with salt and a glass of wine. I will be continuing this ritual even after I hear back.

Okay, this is going to sound crazy, but I like to mash up half an avocado in its shell and then spread it on squares of really dark chocolate. I highly recommend it, if you're willing to be so adventurous.

And yes I'm dying of suspense as well! I feel as if we're all a bunch of old British men in robes and wigs sitting around and grumbling...

Okay, this is going to sound crazy, but I like to mash up half an avocado in its shell and then spread it on squares of really dark chocolate. I highly recommend it, if you're willing to be so adventurous.

Not crazy. I like avocado milkshakes. :)

I'm sad that the UCSB & Princeton acceptances didn't put up their stats. It's anonymous. No one will know. We're among friends. :wub:

Thank you! I'm the UCSB admit. I did post my stats when I posted the interview request (1/19), if you're curious.

It's been ages since I had an advocado... now I want one!

Thank you! I'm the UCSB admit. I did post my stats when I posted the interview request (1/19), if you're curious.

It's been ages since I had an advocado... now I want one!

Oh! I didn't realize that! Congratulations, Once! That's awesome and you deserve to treat yourself :D!!

cokohlik, I see you applied to the same number of schools as I have. To what schools did you apply?

U. Toronto, U. Del, U. Maryland, U. Virginia, UNC Chapel Hill, UCSB, Emory, Northwestern, William's College (Master's), UCR (Master's), U. Michigan Ann Arbor, Bryn Mawr

I applied to 5 Ivies last year without looking too hard at the actual programs. Great faculty and funding and classes. Nothing as closely aligned with my interests as the above programs. I think my count in my signature might be one off. :)

I did the same things last year. I was teaching and heading a department so I figured it would only be worth it if I got into a big name school. But, this year i spent a lot more time trying to find programs that would actually work for me.

U. Toronto, U. Del, U. Maryland, U. Virginia, UNC Chapel Hill, UCSB, Emory, Northwestern, William's College (Master's), UCR (Master's), U. Michigan Ann Arbor, Bryn Mawr

I applied to 5 Ivies last year without looking too hard at the actual programs. Great faculty and funding and classes. Nothing as closely aligned with my interests as the above programs. I think my count in my signature might be one off. :)

What's your field? I don't remember you saying it before. Based on your choice of CAA panels, is it Renaissance? If so, hoorah!! I'm trying to convince myself that I'm not in a dead, irrelevant field despite evidence to the contrary.

What's your field? I don't remember you saying it before. Based on your choice of CAA panels, is it Renaissance? If so, hoorah!! I'm trying to convince myself that I'm not in a dead, irrelevant field despite evidence to the contrary.

Dead, irrelevant field? What nonsense! Exciting, vibrant, active fields! Woohoo!

Of course, my field is medieval...so maybe I'm not the one to talk about dead fields....

Heheh! Yep! To be very broad, it's Italian Art 1400-1650 or so. :D Emphasis on religious happenings and its effects on artistic representation, as well as how that changing representation reflects &/or molds popular belief.

Dead, irrelevant field? What nonsense! Exciting, vibrant, active fields! Woohoo!

Of course, my field is medieval...so maybe I'm not the one to talk about dead fields....

LOL! Awww, medieval art gets love too. <3