Art History PhD Hopefuls: Any News?

cokohlik

What's that? That - that envelope with the return address from Tyler School of Art. Oh, it's so small. Oh, it's so early. It must be some kind of request for more information. It could be a rejection. This early? Really? Let's park the car before I open it.

Tear, tear, tear - three folded sheets - nice paper - what does it say?

"On behalf of the Dean...blah blah blah...and with the approval of the Admissions Committee...blah blah blah....you have been admitted to the PhD curriculum...."

Wait, I'm misreading this.

"you have been admitted"

What is this phrase?! I'm unfamiliar with it! All I ever get is platitudes about how many qualified applicants there were!

"you have been admitted"

Sweet burning Brigit! I've finally gotten in!!!!! WHY AM I CRYING

Ahhh! I'm still in a car! Where's my cell phone? How does a phone number work? What are "Contacts"? What is this sorcery!? Turn off the car first. Ahhhh!!!

- My mental state one hour ago :)

Aahhhhhhhh congrats!!!!! I am way fricken excited for you!!!!!! Yay!!!

I so hope we have happy moments for all the regulars (and you too, lurkers!) on here so we can do a big digital congratulatory happy dance for each other! Woohoo Onceandfuturegrad!!!

Congratulations to everyone who has been admitted or waitlisted! I've been stalking this page for a few days now, so I figured I should actually join haha. I'm so nervous/anxious to get anything back from where I've applied!! A few of you guys/the results board have shown some of the schools I've applied to and I've heard absolutely nothing from them :( But do you guys know or think they do PhD programs first and then MAs? Because some on the board are for PhD and I'm hoping I'm still in the running for the MA haha. Ahhh so frustrating!

What's that? That - that envelope with the return address from Tyler School of Art. Oh, it's so small. Oh, it's so early. It must be some kind of request for more information. It could be a rejection. This early? Really? Let's park the car before I open it.

Tear, tear, tear - three folded sheets - nice paper - what does it say?

"On behalf of the Dean...blah blah blah...and with the approval of the Admissions Committee...blah blah blah....you have been admitted to the PhD curriculum...."

Wait, I'm misreading this.

"you have been admitted"

What is this phrase?! I'm unfamiliar with it! All I ever get is platitudes about how many qualified applicants there were!

"you have been admitted"

Sweet burning Brigit! I've finally gotten in!!!!! WHY AM I CRYING

Ahhh! I'm still in a car! Where's my cell phone? How does a phone number work? What are "Contacts"? What is this sorcery!? Turn off the car first. Ahhhh!!!

- My mental state one hour ago :)

Congratulations! Hopefully some of the rest of us will hear soon. I'm hoping the mail just hasn't made its way to Louisiana yet. :) What is your area of study? I don't remember off the top of my head.

Looks like IFA is sending out interview invitations -- that is very exciting, but also very nervewracking. From what I understand they are interviewing about 30 candidates this year, from which they will choose 14 or so. I know it is past 5pm in NY so I should stop checking my e-mail, but I can't! Wish I knew if all the invitations are going out this week...

For those who received an invitation, does anyone want to share any stats? Do you already have an MA? Who is your POI?

Thanks for sharing!!

I'm feeling exactly the same way.

I'm starting to get really sad that I haven't heard anything yet, and won't since it's 7pm EST. Come on, Thursday, have something good for me in the mail or my phone or my inbox! :) I'm starting to forget what unread mail looks like.

@cassanova - don't worry just yet if you're waiting to hear back for MA but you're seeing results for PhDs. My school reviews those apps separately, for example, and informs the applicant pools separately as well. I imagine other schools would do something similar.

What's that? That - that envelope with the return address from Tyler School of Art. Oh, it's so small. Oh, it's so early. It must be some kind of request for more information. It could be a rejection. This early? Really? Let's park the car before I open it. Tear, tear, tear - three folded sheets - nice paper - what does it say? "On behalf of the Dean...blah blah blah...and with the approval of the Admissions Committee...blah blah blah....you have been admitted to the PhD curriculum...." Wait, I'm misreading this. "you have been admitted" What is this phrase?! I'm unfamiliar with it! All I ever get is platitudes about how many qualified applicants there were! "you have been admitted" Sweet burning Brigit! I've finally gotten in!!!!! WHY AM I CRYING Ahhh! I'm still in a car! Where's my cell phone? How does a phone number work? What are "Contacts"? What is this sorcery!? Turn off the car first. Ahhhh!!! - My mental state one hour ago :)

I am so happy for you! Congrats, you really deserved it! :-)

Temple has a very underrated art history program. They have some excellent faculty there. Good for you!

I fully agree. At first I was all, "well let's just see what programs are in my area...typetypetype...Temple, eh? I have three good friends going there, I may as well give them a chance." I e-mailed the department admissions person and she recommended several POIs for me.

I went just for a casual visit and I was blown away. I sat in on a presentation by a POI and one of her students and it was clear that scholarship is top notch. Everyone was extremely kind and welcoming too, which is more than I got from several other schools. The art history department itself is uncomfortably shoehorned into the fine arts building, but the facilities are gorgeous even on a pissing-rain day and it's obvious that the whole of Tyler is up-and-coming.

I still have to get funding details and to hear back from another school, but I'm really proud of my admission and only a serious discrepancy in funding would keep me away.

Thanks for all of your kind words! I hope everyone else is experiencing success. If not, PM me. I can console you.

UCLA Admits!!!

Tell me about yourselves! POIs? Field of study? I know the whole faculty at UCLA. It's my alma mater. I couldn't be more thrilled for you both! UCLA is an amazing school and the AH Dept. is equally amazing. And the Arts and YRL Libraries.... You will spend hours there just for the fun of it!

I really hope you use the forums! :D Congratulations!!!!!!

I fully agree. At first I was all, "well let's just see what programs are in my area...typetypetype...Temple, eh? I have three good friends going there, I may as well give them a chance." I e-mailed the department admissions person and she recommended several POIs for me.

I went just for a casual visit and I was blown away. I sat in on a presentation by a POI and one of her students and it was clear that scholarship is top notch. Everyone was extremely kind and welcoming too, which is more than I got from several other schools. The art history department itself is uncomfortably shoehorned into the fine arts building, but the facilities are gorgeous even on a pissing-rain day and it's obvious that the whole of Tyler is up-and-coming.

I still have to get funding details and to hear back from another school, but I'm really proud of my admission and only a serious discrepancy in funding would keep me away.

Thanks for all of your kind words! I hope everyone else is experiencing success. If not, PM me. I can console you.

Agreed about Temple! I am very much hoping to hear good news from them soon (though I'm not betting the farm on it!!!). *fingers crossed* Who will you be studying with? I'm only familiar with the faculty that's in my field, and know virtually nothing of the campus itself.

Thanks! Susan Sidlauskas. Although I would like to work with Tanya Sheehan as well.

Ahh fabulous (and more than a little jealous!). I applied there this year but haven't heard anything. Assuming you enroll, what would you like to work on while you're there?

My POI is Tanya Sheehan, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that we'll see each other there!

For those of us who still haven't heard anything- one of my profs suggested today that we'll be hearing a lot in the next week b/c schools will want to make decisions before CAA starts an half the department is gone. Yikes? Yay?

For those of us who still haven't heard anything- one of my profs suggested today that we'll be hearing a lot in the next week b/c schools will want to make decisions before CAA starts an half the department is gone. Yikes? Yay?

YAYYYYY!!!

Actually... none of my POIs can make it to CAA this year, so I'm not sure if this is good news or bad. :huh:

I wonder if these people know what we are going through. I am about to get fired from my job for constantly checking my e-mail while I should be teaching. I didn't care/wasn't worried until RIGHT NOW. It is February 10th. I need an answer!!