Art History PhD Hopefuls: Any News?

cokohlik

Another waitlist! Agh I hope this won't be a pattern for the other schools...I don't think I can survive the waiting part. Anybody else in limbo?

Congratulations! It's better than a rejection :) Although I totally understand the anxiety that comes from that... :unsure:

I think that I'm waiting for Northwestern to reject me but I'm not positive. Come on, Northwestern, you know you want to put me out of my misery...

Congratulations! It's better than a rejection :) Although I totally understand the anxiety that comes from that... :unsure:

I think that I'm waiting for Northwestern to reject me but I'm not positive. Come on, Northwestern, you know you want to put me out of my misery...

Sorry didn't mean to complain! I know that I'm lucky not to have been rejected straight off the bat. It's just that I handle bald faced rejection a lot better than waiting on tenderhooks....And don't give up hope yet! You never know if they notify in waves or not.

I'm interested in transnationalism and cultural exchange in Modern France (19th c./early 20th c.). So picked Susan Sidlauskas for being the awesome Modern art scholar that she is. But I also like Tanya Sheehan's focus on race through the medium of photography.

Lots and lots of luck on getting in! Keeping my fingers crossed for you :)

Thanks! Yea she seems so down to earth yet intelligent. I'm convinced there are scholars out there who are actually cyborgs and have no clue how to interact with us 'lowly' grads...

From what I understand, she seems wonderful. Of course, her scholarship is impeccable, but she was also my advisor's advisor, and she had nothing but good things to say about her. If I were looking more to France (I'm an aspiring Americanist), she would be among the very top of my list!

Checked my Brown status after the results board showed Brown results. OH MY GOD I GOT IN. Top choice, first thing I've heard. I almost don't want to believe it (does the website lie? Is this a cruel joke?) Imma go have me a happy Valentine's Day.

AHHHH!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! :D :D Ahhh!!!!!! <3 :wub: They're so romantic. :wub:

Sorry didn't mean to complain! I know that I'm lucky not to have been rejected straight off the bat. It's just that I handle bald faced rejection a lot better than waiting on tenderhooks....And don't give up hope yet! You never know if they notify in waves or not.

Haha! Oh, I know. I just hope those folk that you're waiting on decide quick. I'm sure that waiting for that is worse that what we're going through now - just plain old waiting.

I swear if I don't hear good news soon my brain is going to collapse in on itself.

Checked my Brown status after the results board showed Brown results. OH MY GOD I GOT IN. Top choice, first thing I've heard. I almost don't want to believe it (does the website lie? Is this a cruel joke?) Imma go have me a happy Valentine's Day.

Also, raise your hand if after reading LLajax's post you went and checked all of your app statuses...because I definitely did. Nothing! Not even on the schools I've been waitlisted from. My applymyself account remains mysteriously still and unchanging.

I'm generally more of a lurker than a poster, but I have to say that I've been rooting for you, LLajax. Hearty, hearty congrats!!!!

Wait, how do you know there is a Berkeley acceptance!?!?! Please give more details. This wait is killing me! :)

If you look at the top of the webpage, you'll see results survey. We're able to see people that have posted their accepted/rejected status from schools there. Most of us are OCD about that and our emails. Good luck to you---I think its killing all of us! :-)

Just got rejected from Northwestern.

That's the first official news I've had.

I really, really hope this doesn't start a trend... I feel pretty awful at the thought. :(

*Hugs too* I think you'll take a page out of Safferz' (from the history thread) book! I am totally rooting for you! Also, I am in possession of wine and chocolate, and I'll share :)

I've been guilty of pretty much just lurking so far in the process, but I have some concrete information about one of my prospespective programs as of this morning and thought I would share.

My only "news" so far has been an interview request from the Bard Graduate Center-- I interviewed via Skype last Wednesday. This morning, I spoke with Dean Elena Pinto Simon, and she sketched out the admissions timeline for me. According to her, the admissions committee will meet to make the official decisions at the end of this month. She said that the committee "doesn't have any set number of admissions in mind," but last year the number was 25.

Dean Simon also said that they aimed to mail out decisions by March 1 or at worst a few days after. Financial aid decisions are made along with admission decisions based on merit (ranking amongst the candidate pool) and FAFSA information. These go out about a week later because they need to be processed by the general Bard administration upstate.

If anyone has any other questions specifically pertaining to the BGC, I'll try my best to answer them!

Thanks everyone! :) I've decided that I didn't really want to go there anyway, since attending would have meant modifying my research interests in a pretty big way and even though I was indeed interested possible modified topic, it's not what I've been "training" for. This morning, I did my morning check of application status pages and of course saw nothing new, but I suppose that's good and at this point, I'd like to think for all of us that no news is good news. I sure hope they get decisions out by CAA!

Had an interview today - they asked really difficult questions! I hope I didn't sound like a complete rambling moron.

On another note, has anybody heard about when Yale will start notifying? I've heard they'll also be conducting interviews this year? I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and call the department. However, I've never heard of anybody doing this and being notified of an acceptance...it's usually the other way around. Thoughts?

@artofdescribing - I too am anxious to hear something from Yale. It seems like it is getting later and later for them to be requesting an interview - especially since the board seems to indicate they have sent out acceptances in february in the past. Would love to know if anyone has heard anything...