Art History PhD Hopefuls: Any News?

cokohlik

Congrats sillnovista! I'll claim one of the other BU admits. Got the call while I was in class, so I just have a voicemail to go off of. Confused about funding, which sounds suspiciously like work-study (Must I be an academic indentured servant for the rest of my life??) But yay nonetheless. Definitely feels good after the Yale thrashing.

Yea, I was accepted to BU's program a few years ago, but the funding wasn't so hot, so I opted for an MA instead in the hopes of later obtaining a fully-funded PHD program when I was finished. Which I did. So YAY funding.

Edited by artofdescribing

So I'm totally freaking out anyone else who applied to Temple - I emailed again because it still said I was missing a transcript. They said I should resend it, and that I also am missing several other materials!! I used Slide Room - weren't we supposed to use that????

Yes you were supposed to use Slide room. Was it a personal e-mail or a mass e-mail? It has seemed to me that they have some technology issues. But, how frustrating to find out they don't have some information this late in the game.

It was really confusing. I had to e-mail with them. I think it said on the Tyler website to use slideroom for part of it but the Temple main site doesn't reference it. I freaked out a couple of weeks ago because because my banner application says it is missing things. But, after I contacted them they said they had everything. It is a really odd and frustrating setup.

I just went to Temple's grad site and had to do some extra clicking to find Slideroom. Sure enough, there it is. I know I never read anything about submitting items through this program! I just sent in everything (like the PhD site asks).

Weird...wonder why I never saw this when applying. Oh well, I guess if they have all my info, it should be ok, right?

Well there truly is no such thing as a safety school. I just received a very nice personal e-mail from my POI at University of Missouri. Really frustrating. She was open to questions and I asked her about it. Ultimately it came down to her working on the relationship between art and religion in late 19th- early 20th century and my interests being more contemporary. In e-mails a few months back she had indicated that she would feel comfortable with my thrust. The rub is that I think this very issue is at the heart of my PhD application issues. The problem is that I know of no scholar at a PhD granting institution that works explicitly with contemporary art and religion. What is a fellow to do!?! Okay, vent/ rant over.

thanks Hicks - Well I emailed them because i saw one of my transcripts wasnt received. i kinda figured with the other materials that i used through slide room maybe they wouldnt say anything. and they said to resend my transcript and that the other itmes were missing. the whole application to temple was so confusing to me. the website for Tyler says you must Slide Room, and the Temple site made no reference. I just hope they merit what I thought to be correct.

I can claim today's Bryn Mawr post - after posting about hearing no news, my parents called that the letter had been sent to their house instead of mine. very surprised since all today and yesterday I'd been expecting a rejection. so it's not too late!

I can also claim one of the Bryn Mawr posts from late Monday night. I got the thick envelope in the mail and I couldn't believe it--it was a complete shock to me. This is my third year applying to PhD programs (thought first time for Bryn Mawr) with a total of 17 rejections so far and I was about to call it quits for good after this application season.

Anyway, if there are any lurkers on the board that come from undergraduate institutions without a great reputation, are older than the average PhD applicant (I'm 31), never published anything, or have less than stellar GPAs, there is definitely still hope if you can find the right fit for you!

I can also claim one of the Bryn Mawr posts from late Monday night. I got the thick envelope in the mail and I couldn't believe it--it was a complete shock to me. This is my third year applying to PhD programs (thought first time for Bryn Mawr) with a total of 17 rejections so far and I was about to call it quits for good after this application season.

Anyway, if there are any lurkers on the board that come from undergraduate institutions without a great reputation, are older than the average PhD applicant (I'm 31), never published anything, or have less than stellar GPAs, there is definitely still hope if you can find the right fit for you!

Congrats Octavia3!!!

Congratulations, Octavia! I hear the program is outstanding, so you ought to be proud!

I'm also in the older-than-average category, coming from a Southern state school whose name doesn't exactly put you at the top of the adcom pile (must give a shoutout to my UG nonetheless, as the faculty is truly wonderful). I do feel fortunate to have gone back to school as an older student, because I was much more aware of how these things might work against me when I eventually applied to grad. I felt like I could prepare and mitigate whatever shortcomings I had by working on the things that I *did* have control over, because age and institution were nonnegotiables. In a perfect world, we are all admitted to the graduate program that is the best fit... but of course, we live in the real world instead. :)

I suppose that's why it feels especially good to take your post as evidence that sometimes - even if it's not on the timeline we'd choose for ourselves - the perfect world and the real world intersect in a really righteous way! Congrats again!