Art History PhD Hopefuls: Any News?

cokohlik

I wonder if these people know what we are going through. I am about to get fired from my job for constantly checking my e-mail while I should be teaching. I didn't care/wasn't worried until RIGHT NOW. It is February 10th. I need an answer!!

Haha!!! Same here! It's so dangerous.

Ahh fabulous (and more than a little jealous!). I applied there this year but haven't heard anything. Assuming you enroll, what would you like to work on while you're there?

My POI is Tanya Sheehan, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that we'll see each other there!

I'm interested in transnationalism and cultural exchange in Modern France (19th c./early 20th c.). So picked Susan Sidlauskas for being the awesome Modern art scholar that she is. But I also like Tanya Sheehan's focus on race through the medium of photography.

Lots and lots of luck on getting in! Keeping my fingers crossed for you :)

I know her and she's amazing- congratulations!

Thanks! Yea she seems so down to earth yet intelligent. I'm convinced there are scholars out there who are actually cyborgs and have no clue how to interact with us 'lowly' grads...

To those admitted: did your app status change online to reflect admission? Or did you receive news through mail/email without your app status changing?

You're not going to like this answer.... Temple had been driving me crazy for displaying "Incomplete Items Outstanding" for weeks, despite calling them (once) and confirming that everything was OK. On the morning that I received my acceptance letter in the mail, my routine check revealed that my status had changed to "Ready for Review" and the maverick item (undergrad transcript) was shown as received. I got my letter that afternoon, dated three days earlier. In the evening, just to sate my curiosity, I checked my application and its status had changed to "University Acceptance"! It's like they knew....

I'm sure that does nothing to assuage your OCD! :wacko:

You're not going to like this answer.... Temple had been driving me crazy for displaying "Incomplete Items Outstanding" for weeks, despite calling them (once) and confirming that everything was OK. On the morning that I received my acceptance letter in the mail, my routine check revealed that my status had changed to "Ready for Review" and the maverick item (undergrad transcript) was shown as received. I got my letter that afternoon, dated three days earlier. In the evening, just to sate my curiosity, I checked my application and its status had changed to "University Acceptance"! It's like they knew....

I'm sure that does nothing to assuage your OCD! :wacko:

Haha, you're right...that makes me even more prone to keep hitting refresh.

It's like there is this little elf watching you through his binoculars and updating your app status when you get to the mailbox.

Wahh I'm canceling my subscription to the internet!

By the way, how do you feel now that you're in? Are you on cloud 9 at all times? Or was the feeling fleeting? Please share.

I've gotten phone calls letting me know that I was accepted, and it took a while for the website to change. But I was definitely checking them daily before that!

Definitely was on cloud 9 at first- now I'm just contemplating the logistics of a cross country move, wondering if I'll be able to make new friends, and a whole host of other lame worries. It's like I just transferred my WILL I GET IN anxiety over to the new AH I GOT IN, HOW AM I GOING TO MAKE THIS WORK?!? anxiety.

Once,

That's a good observation about your worries. We tend to choose things to fixate our anxiety, stress, depression etc on so its definitely interesting that you were able to observe that. So maybe the message here is we should all calm down =)

Okay, this talk about checking statuses now has me freaked out. I filled out the Temple application in late November and then the slideroom application a few days later I paid the admissions fees on both and then never went back to the banner application. I did check the slideroom one to make sure my letters arrived. But, with this talk I decided to go look at my status. The application is unfinished! I'm certain that I completed it and I have the confirmation e-mail for the application fee. I don't know if this is just some weird computer glitch or if I made the most colossal mistake possible. I've sent them an e-mail but won't hear back until Tuesday at the earliest. How frustrating!

I hope that is it. But, it shows the internet part ass not even complete. I'm certain I did this. My recollection is that like all the other apps you pay the fee once you've filled out all the internet part. But, maybe I'm wrong and just screwed up? Who knows!

Hicks and cassanova, it took Temple almost four weeks to post that they had received my transcript, and when they did, they posted it with the date on which they had received it. I gave them a call about two weeks ago to check and they were kind, reassuring, and apologetic. I would not feel badly about giving them a call, if I were you.

By the way, how do you feel now that you're in? Are you on cloud 9 at all times? Or was the feeling fleeting? Please share.

It's a lot of relief, for sure. I sometimes find myself muttering to myself "Oh gods, I hope I get in...oh wait, I did! Yessss." It hasn't sunk in properly, to be honest. It's a bit like, In my mind's eye I see the typical dark clouds but there's also sunlight now, yet the skies aren't quite clear yet. My fiance asked me a similar question a few days ago and I wryly replied, "Don't worry, love, I always find something to be anxious about!"

I've been rather busy with some extracurricular functions and I won't be able to celebrate until Wednesday. Then I'll be going to Philadelphia, meeting up with my undergrad friend in Tyler and other Philly friends, and having a celebratory pint or two. So hopefully it will become real to me. A few dollars spent on university apparel will make me look the part, at least!

The one thing that's a little stressful is that I wrote on my application that I have conversational German. As I commented elsewhere on this forum, it's actually more thrown-together-"I-think-remember-how-prepositions-work"-back-alley-rusty German, certainly not something I could use to express my academic ideas. I owe it to everyone to get it up to par.

Actually, now that I think about it, there are a number of things I worry about regarding my ability to perform as a PhD student. I guess anxieties about acceptance have shifted to anxieties about succeeding. No rest for the anxious...

Once,

That's a good observation about your worries. We tend to choose things to fixate our anxiety, stress, depression etc on so its definitely interesting that you were able to observe that. So maybe the message here is we should all calm down =)

Essentially, yes. :) There's always going to be something to worry about. I'm really trying to live in the moment and concentrate on my family right now, and not where I'm going to be and what I'm going to be doing in five months.

The one thing that's a little stressful is that I wrote on my application that I have conversational German. As I commented elsewhere on this forum, it's actually more thrown-together-"I-think-remember-how-prepositions-work"-back-alley-rusty German, certainly not something I could use to express my academic ideas. I owe it to everyone to get it up to par.

Same here! My German is pitiful. I've also been trying to learn Dutch and have been mixing up the two constantly. I really should work on it over the summer, but I'm considering just letting myself relax so that I don't wind up burning out before I even start.

Edited by once

This is kinda weird. I haven't heard anything from UC Irvine since I applied. I wasn't interviewed. So, I' thinking I likely wasn't accepted. But, today I got an e-mail from the financial aid and scholarship office saying they got my information and I'll be receiving more information in the near future about my application. And, asking me to sign in to the on-line account and give them more information if needed. This on the same day that an acceptance to UCI was posted on the results board. I don't know if this is a positive sign or one hand not knowing what the other is doing. But, it certainly is curious.

Hey Hicks,

That's definitely interesting. The UCI admit posted it as of 02/14 (tomorrow), so either that person is applying from overseas, or is psychic? ;)

For what it's worth, I was interviewed and I haven't heard anything from UCI. Sheesh, now I'm thinking I bombed the phone interview. Great. Ahhh!!!

Alright, I'm over it. Back to grading. :)

:( Boo.

At least we know that we probably won't be hearing from them on April Fool's Day. That'd be a fun day! :lol:

Haha I'm pretty sure that would further encourage my impending nervous breakdown.

Hey March has Daylight Savings Time- that means one less hour of worrying!