Art History PhD Hopefuls: Any News?

cokohlik

What? Where? That's in my top 5!

Congrats!

I swear I'm not hallucinating this time- it popped up on the board!

Still no news from any of the NINE schools I applied to. Sigh. I suppose I should count that as a good thing.

I swear I'm not hallucinating this time- it popped up on the board!

Still no news from any of the NINE schools I applied to. Sigh. I suppose I should count that as a good thing.

I'd say that's good.

I found it! It keeps disappearing.

Now 3/13 programs I've applied to have notified for interviews and acceptances. # I've heard from: 0. :( Is something wrong with me?

I see that someone got an acceptance call from University of Chicago. Congrats to whoever it is.

There's an interview, too. I wonder if that will lead to an acceptance. :)

I'm sure other Chicago hopefuls will hear soon. I hope UMD + UCSB send out the rest of their decisions soon too. The wait!! My hair is getting grey. :huh:

Edit: Wait... how is the acceptance in the future? I'm so confused. I guess the interview led to an acceptance. Bah. Ignore my confused state. :lol:

Edited by cokohlik

Clairvoyance? That is odd about the date. I wonder if you are right. it could have been an informal acceptance after an interview. I wonder if we will see more Chicago acceptances popping up. This is the right time frame historically.

There is a wait list posting from UPenn. Slowly but surely it is starting to happen...now I need to grade quizzes rather than obsessing over this. :)

I wish I was grading quizzes :( seriously. I love grading/proofreading/etc other people's work...LOVE it.

On the shortlist for one...but I know they don't send out acceptances until mid-feb. So trying not to spaz out until then...

Hi, just curious if you don't mind sharing for which of the programs you applied to disclosed a shortlist?

Thanks!

And sorry if you mentioned this somewhere else I just started reading the message boards ...

Edited by Hugh10

I wish I was grading quizzes :( seriously. I love grading/proofreading/etc other people's work...LOVE it.

you wouldn't feel that way if you were grading them. One class (a tiny Modern Art class) had one A and three F's. The Survey II classs had a high score of 75%. Grrrrr.... Pretty standard quiz and not especially hard they just didn't study.

you wouldn't feel that way if you were grading them. One class (a tiny Modern Art class) had one A and three F's. The Survey II classs had a high score of 75%. Grrrrr.... Pretty standard quiz and not especially hard they just didn't study.

As a Freshman English instructor I only graded papers, and most of them came to me as rough drafts first. So the initial grading was more, "how do I instruct them to construct a better argument?" while the second grading was, "how successfully did they improve upon their earlier work?" I only gave quizzes when I suspected that students weren't reading, and then the wrong answers were pretty darn hilarious.

First week of results come and gone and nothing for me! I do hope to get notifications soon. Hold tight. "Ugh, the weekend already?"

I have to correct my self. One student got an 81%. But, half the class failed the quiz. The quiz is only 10% of their final grade so hopefully they will get the point that they have to read and memorize the ID's.I'm not sure why they didn't take it seriously enough to start with. Louisiana has had hiring freezes for the last couple of years so they have been without an art historian. My guess is that the studio professors who taught the art history classes just didn't demand enough from the students. Oh well, they'll figure it out.

I am also anxious for results. I've at least heard from some programs but not the pure Art history programs.

1st: Congrats to the UVA acceptance!

2nd: Aaaaagghhhh that's the first school that's I applied to showing up. I'm having to strongly resist flinging myself into full despair mode. Must. Be. Calm.

3rd: Congrats to whoever it was! Maybe this is a sign that they've made choices and news will be coming soon.

4th: I hope everyone is doing well at the start of this new week! New motto: May the odds be ever in your favor.

1st: Congrats to the UVA acceptance!

2nd: Aaaaagghhhh that's the first school that's I applied to showing up. I'm having to strongly resist flinging myself into full despair mode. Must. Be. Calm.

3rd: Congrats to whoever it was! Maybe this is a sign that they've made choices and news will be coming soon.

4th: I hope everyone is doing well at the start of this new week! New motto: May the odds be ever in your favor.

You and I are in the exact same boat except 3 of my schools have sent acceptances or interview requests... UVA is one of my top picks! Ahh!!

Congrats UVA admit! Care to share any details? Field of study?

Waitlisted by my top choice...I'm grateful that at least the first news I heard wasn't a rejection. Although I wish I could have had something more positive. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best...at least I feel less stressed about not having heard from anywhere. Good luck to everyone else!!! It looks like it's really starting now...

Waitlisted by my top choice...I'm grateful that at least the first news I heard wasn't a rejection. Although I wish I could have had something more positive. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best...at least I feel less stressed about not having heard from anywhere. Good luck to everyone else!!! It looks like it's really starting now...

Congratulations!!!!! :D Waitlisted is still great news, because there's always the chance Penn isn't each admit's top choice, etc. So happy for you!

What's that? That - that envelope with the return address from Tyler School of Art. Oh, it's so small. Oh, it's so early. It must be some kind of request for more information. It could be a rejection. This early? Really? Let's park the car before I open it.

Tear, tear, tear - three folded sheets - nice paper - what does it say?

"On behalf of the Dean...blah blah blah...and with the approval of the Admissions Committee...blah blah blah....you have been admitted to the PhD curriculum...."

Wait, I'm misreading this.

"you have been admitted"

What is this phrase?! I'm unfamiliar with it! All I ever get is platitudes about how many qualified applicants there were!

"you have been admitted"

Sweet burning Brigit! I've finally gotten in!!!!! WHY AM I CRYING

Ahhh! I'm still in a car! Where's my cell phone? How does a phone number work? What are "Contacts"? What is this sorcery!? Turn off the car first. Ahhhh!!!

- My mental state one hour ago :)

What's that? That - that envelope with the return address from Tyler School of Art. Oh, it's so small. Oh, it's so early. It must be some kind of request for more information. It could be a rejection. This early? Really? Let's park the car before I open it.

"On behalf of the Dean...blah blah blah...and with the approval of the Admissions Committee...blah blah blah....you have been admitted to the PhD curriculum...."

"you have been admitted"

What is this phrase?! I'm unfamiliar with it! All I ever get is platitudes about how many qualified applicants there were!

"you have been admitted"

Ahhh! I'm still in a car! Where's my cell phone? How does a phone number work? What are "Contacts"? What is this sorcery!? Turn off the car first. Ahhhh!!!

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!! :D Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! Reading your happy excited post almost made me cry! :wub: Congratulations!!

"you have been admitted"

"you have been admitted"

Temple has a very underrated art history program. They have some excellent faculty there. Good for you!

Looks like IFA is sending out interview invitations -- that is very exciting, but also very nervewracking. From what I understand they are interviewing about 30 candidates this year, from which they will choose 14 or so. I know it is past 5pm in NY so I should stop checking my e-mail, but I can't! Wish I knew if all the invitations are going out this week...

For those who received an invitation, does anyone want to share any stats? Do you already have an MA? Who is your POI?

Thanks for sharing!!