Art History PhD Hopefuls: Any News?

cokohlik

arthistoryvoe2 -the weird thing is that the acceptance email never says "PhD". Yet I can't imagine why a school would give a 4 year stipend to a 2-year MA student, unless they're trying to encourage a student to stay for the PhD afterwards.

Edited by contiguous

Thats funny you mention feeling numb, I can relate. When I saw the word "Tyler" I was confused, not excited. Why are they emailing me? While waiting the two seconds for the email images to load, I felt a rush of excitement realizing this could be the moment...it died and I quickly neutralized.

In short: NUMBNESS is a great way to describe what I feel, too. Good one.

I think we subconsciously feel like we passed the threshold of any good news, and plateaued off into"whatever" mode.

Hrm, Seems like Columbia finally decided to do its open house/admit someone. Ah well, I had alreayd counted myself out anyways since their (western) medievalist is retiring. Alas, alck. Now if only the rest of them would get on with it.

First, late congratulations to Yale admit TBD!

Second, I'd like to blow off a bit of steam and spend a moment to textually angst, if I might. Acceptances, rejections, and wait lists are all reported on the board's results for Rochester, but (naturally) I have yet to hear back from them. Now, sure, I know what you're thinking: How hard can it be to make a phone call or send an email, complexprocedure? The answer? Pretty darn hard! See, the not-knowing protects me from the certainty of rejection. Instead, I stew. However, this leads to being frustrated with myself about my unproductive angst!

Then I tell myself that it's probably time to step back and survey what's left to wring my hands over. Aside from Rochester, there are four programs from which I've yet to receive a decision. One school offers the MA; the other three are MA to PhD programs. Considering an acceptance into any of these programs precipitates a cascade of anxiety over funding, as even contemplating going into further debt to finance a MASTERS DEGREE IN THE HUMANITIES pushes me over the hand-wringing edge. Seriously, there are hives that are just waiting under the surface of my skin to break free if I am willing to give it more than a momentary thought. But, but... what if I'm not even lucky enough to have that problem?!? Eeep!

Well, it looks like I've finally made the transition from "Why worry about what you can't change?" to "So. Many. FEELINGS. !!!!11!!!!1" I'm pretty certain that this is not an improvement. There are plenty of things that I have on my plate right now to keep me busy, and in fact I should not lose any more time to concerning myself over issues that are largely out of my control (this is Logical Me stepping in, in case you didn't notice). Yet the not-knowing is robbing my focus here, even as my task list impatiently taps its foot, waiting for a whole other set of action items to be crossed off.

And it's not even MARCH yet?!? Hoo boy.

First, late congratulations to Yale admit TBD!

Second, I'd like to blow off a bit of steam and spend a moment to textually angst, if I might. Acceptances, rejections, and wait lists are all reported on the board's results for Rochester, but (naturally) I have yet to hear back from them. Now, sure, I know what you're thinking: How hard can it be to make a phone call or send an email, complexprocedure? The answer? Pretty darn hard! See, the not-knowing protects me from the certainty of rejection. Instead, I stew. However, this leads to being frustrated with myself about my unproductive angst!

Then I tell myself that it's probably time to step back and survey what's left to wring my hands over. Aside from Rochester, there are four programs from which I've yet to receive a decision. One school offers the MA; the other three are MA to PhD programs. Considering an acceptance into any of these programs precipitates a cascade of anxiety over funding, as even contemplating going into further debt to finance a MASTERS DEGREE IN THE HUMANITIES pushes me over the hand-wringing edge. Seriously, there are hives that are just waiting under the surface of my skin to break free if I am willing to give it more than a momentary thought. But, but... what if I'm not even lucky enough to have that problem?!? Eeep!

Well, it looks like I've finally made the transition from "Why worry about what you can't change?" to "So. Many. FEELINGS. !!!!11!!!!1" I'm pretty certain that this is not an improvement. There are plenty of things that I have on my plate right now to keep me busy, and in fact I should not lose any more time to concerning myself over issues that are largely out of my control (this is Logical Me stepping in, in case you didn't notice). Yet the not-knowing is robbing my focus here, even as my task list impatiently taps its foot, waiting for a whole other set of action items to be crossed off.

And it's not even MARCH yet?!? Hoo boy.

My solution to the anxiety has been a large-ish bag of Nestle semi-sweet morsels. It makes the feelings reside for a bit in loving, non-confusing semi-sweet chocolatey bits. If it works for demontor attacks, it should be an okay treatment for grad admissions anxiety (you know, since I assume the sucking-out-your-soul process is roughly the same for both, right?)

Sorry I don't have anything logical and rational to say at the moment in regards to anything but chocolate.

My colleague received their acceptance to UVA about 2 weeks ago....

From the results, it doesn't seem like UVA sends out their acceptances all at once, so even though I'm not too worried that all hope is lost... I'm still worried. :wacko:

Hmm... For UVA, 2 weeks ago would be around Valentine's Day, plus there's an acceptance from the 4th of Feb. this year. They're admitting around 5 applicants according to their website, so that's 2/5 plus any that we might not know of because they don't use the GC.

Super worrying commenced. :(

Forget what I said about the silence from Rochester...admission offered w/ 4 year full tuition fellowship & TA-ship, plus maybe something else. Apparently my admissions emails were bouncing?!?

HOLY COW HOLY COW HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats complexprocedure! Better get some serious longjohns. Rochester has four seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter, and construction.

Yep. Had the same exact reaction this morning. Sorta bummed, too. Maybe we should start a "Screw you Yale, we don't need you" Club?

:-)

Dude, let's do it. Apparently we're 11,000 strong. The board is awash with our Yale rejects.

On a different note- congrats to complexprocedure and the BU admit!

Congrats sillnovista! I'll claim one of the other BU admits. Got the call while I was in class, so I just have a voicemail to go off of. Confused about funding, which sounds suspiciously like work-study (Must I be an academic indentured servant for the rest of my life??) But yay nonetheless. Definitely feels good after the Yale thrashing.

Congrats sillnovista! I'll claim one of the other BU admits. Got the call while I was in class, so I just have a voicemail to go off of. Confused about funding, which sounds suspiciously like work-study (Must I be an academic indentured servant for the rest of my life??) But yay nonetheless. Definitely feels good after the Yale thrashing.

I was at work, so I imagine we have very similar muddled and confusing voicemails. Please feel free to PM me, I'd love to discuss and introduce!