Communicating with Grad Students currently working with potential supervisor

csierrah

Hi,

Last week I was interviewed by phone. The work being done by the professor that interviewed my is very similar to the work I have been doing for the last couple of years. The interview seemed to go well in part because of the commonalities on our research interests and experiences. At the end of the interview the professor told me that he will ask his graduate students to contact me and for me to ask them anything I wanted to know about the program, the lab, etc. My questions are these:

1. What questions would you ask at this point? (not accepted yet but given this opportunity)

2. To what extent will these grad students evaluate me?

3. Can I ask them question about the prof they are working on? (e.g., supervision style, their impression of that prof, etc)

4. Are these communications formal or can they be informal - unlike the one with profs.

Thank you for your help!

From the perspective of a graduate student answering a prospective's questions:

1. Ask almost anything. We were all there at one point, we understand that there are a lot of questions. I've been asked everything from how well living in the city works on what we're paid to what the dirt is in our department.

2. My PI asks me my opinion of prospective graduate students, so they're definitely playing a roll in it. Mostly, you don't want to come off as someone they wouldn't want to work with.

3. Yes. I'm very candid about this, partially because I've been there, and partially because if you come, I'll be working with you for the next 3-4 years. And if you don't like our PIs style, you will not be enjoyable to work with.

4. More informal than a prof, but you wan't to be careful not to be too informal- treat them as a colleague. Personally, I'd start out more formally, and feel out that particular grad student as the back-and-forth progresses.

The prospectives that have given bad impressions have predominately either not seemed at all interested in the work or grad school, or have seemed like they're trying to get by with as little work as possible. I doubt you will come across as either of those, from your post.

When a prospective student asks if they can come in (lab science) at 10, leave at 4, and take 3 day weekends- that's a bad impression. If you're asking whether or not you'll be expected to work 80 hour weeks, that isn't.

Most grad students have a vested interest in bringing in and welcoming prospective grad students that will add to the lab and be fun and invigorating colleagues down the road. You'll be working more closely with other grad students than your prof, most of the time, so a good mesh of personalities is also beneficial.

Edited by Eigen

I was in the exact same situation (phone interview, then the interviewer put me in contact with her students). I was nervous too, but so far the communication has gone well, so I'll answer your questions as a fellow applicant:

1. I first introduced myself and asked if they would mind telling me about their experience at the school. It was really vague, maybe too vague, but it got the dialogue started. I got some really thoughtful responses from the open-ended question.

2. That I can't really answer, since I'm also an applicant, so I'm glad the person who posted before me did! I just went with the same guidelines everyone has told me for meeting them in person-- be yourself, show that you can communicate and you'd be a good person to work with, and think of them as potential colleagues. As long as I keep that in mind, I feel comfortable.

3. Yep! My POI actually told her students to give me their honest opinions of her. I didn't have to ask anything specific, because they all told me she's great and elaborated on that. They gave me an idea of her personality, attitude, expectations, etc. They told me about their own goals and work habits too. Very helpful!

4. I took their lead on this. Two of them have been slightly more formal (although still very honest and willing to give their true opinions), and one more candid and conversational. I try to match the tone of the emails just like I do with professors. Professors differ in their level of formality with us too, and it can change based on how many times they've talked to us. So I basically treat it the same way-- take their lead on it, no matter who it is.

One other thing I wanted to add (personal pet peeve, not that I expect you to do this): Don't start a conversation and leave the grad student hanging. There's nothing like taking a half hour or so to write out a detailed, thoughtful piece to a prospective graduate student only to wait several weeks to get a reply, or even to never hear back from them.

1. What questions would you ask at this point? (not accepted yet but given this opportunity)

Kinda anything. Ask about whether the stupend is enough to live on, activities in the city, grad student organizations, whether the grads hang out, if they're competing with one another, if they help each other with grant apps, stuff like that.

2. To what extent will these grad students evaluate me?

This varies but, basically, I won't tell my advisor about our emails unless you say or do something ridiculously stupid. Now, if you visit in person, I'm much more likely to offer my opinion on whether or not I want you in the group. But, it's hard for me to get a feel for someone's personality through email so I just try not to.

3. Can I ask them question about the prof they are working on? (e.g., supervision style, their impression of that prof, etc)

Yes, you can and should. Ask what it's like working with and for that POI. Ask about how much supervision there is when it comes to exams, writing articles, etc. Find out how often the POI meets with their grad students and whether those are group or individual meetings. Ask if it's hard to get facetime to discuss your project. These things are important. They're things I asked when deciding on PhD programs and questions I regularly answer from prospective students.

4. Are these communications formal or can they be informal - unlike the one with profs.

They're semi-formal. As in, you're not their peer yet so don't treat them like it. But that doesn't mean you should treat them like a prof either.

Also, grad students may take a few days or even a week or so to reply. Sorry, but prospective students I've never met are usually not at the top of my list of things to do in any given day. But, I'll reply eventually. The more specific your questions are, the more useful information you'll get. And please, don't expect me to follow up with you like 20 times.

Is there a best way to impress grad studentsnwhomwork with poi ?..like there are any do's and don't....some of the do's are here...what abt the don't....

I am meeting grad students of my poi this week and I want to impress them and show they can work with me...

Is there a best way to impress grad studentsnwhomwork with poi ?..like there are any do's and don't....some of the do's are here...what abt the don't....

I am meeting grad students of my poi this week and I want to impress them and show they can work with me...

I've been told that it's mostly about social skills. Communicate well and be a pleasant person. They won't be asking you detailed questions about research or anything like that. As long as you can carry on a conversation, you'll be fine!

Not to be blunt or rude, but if you have any written communication, please don't let it look like the above. If I received something like that from a prospective graduate student, I might seriously consider talking to my PI about them.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to be blunt or rude, but if you have any written communication, please don't let it look like the above. If I received something like that from a prospective graduate student, I might seriously consider talking to my PI about them.

Me too. People can be informal and funny in person, but almost all correspondence I have with academic associates is professional-looking (not counting gchat as "correspondence"). Even my friends in engineering/CS write well.