The Silence is Killing Me!

abrayto1

Taking into the consideration all of the stressful and frantic qualities of the application process, the anticlimactic sitting around portion of this experience comes off as ESPECIALLY frustrating -_- hurry up and wait my friends that is what we're doing. I just wish that I was more prepared for this part, if only they hadn't told me I'd hear back in 3-4 weeks :\ because it is now week 6, and I have had enough. :) Thank you for this thread good to know its not just me.

Having staved off the madness this long, I'm now starting to feel a touch antsy. All my schools notify in March, so we're two weeks from the start of crunch time. I'm beginning to feel the zero-sum nature of the application cycle.

Same here.....I have submitted my applications in November for two majors - Petroleum Engineering and Chemical Engineering. So far only 2/12 school replied me with an offer and a rejection, and the offer was coming from my safety school. I am so paranoid now...

Same here.....I have submitted my applications in November for two majors - Petroleum Engineering and Chemical Engineering. So far only 2/12 school replied me with an offer and a rejection, and the offer was coming from my safety school. I am so paranoid now...

At least you have an offer. At this point knowing that I have any option at all would allow me to focus on other things, which would in turn allow me to relax considerably.

At least you have an offer. At this point knowing that I have any option at all would allow me to focus on other things, which would in turn allow me to relax considerably.

I know what you mean. I just want ONE offer. I really don't care where since I know I would be happy at any of the schools I applied to. It would be nice to just relax and write my MS thesis instead of being stressed about the uncertain future.

I know what you mean. I just want ONE offer. I really don't care where since I know I would be happy at any of the schools I applied to. It would be nice to just relax and write my MS thesis instead of being stressed about the uncertain future.

I would feel a lot better if I were already in a master's program, too. My advisors at my undergrad school told me not to apply for those in my field because a lot of faculty don't want to use funding on someone who'll only be there for a couple years. If they offered me admission to one instead of a PhD, though, that would at least be a step towards my goals. As long as I could find a way to pay for it, I'd probably jump on the opportunity.

I know that feeling ... this thing could kill a stoic's composure

Nightmares are in full swing. I really didn't think it would be this hard. This may actually kill me.

I haven't heard from a single school... and I'm not even Canadian! Most of my deadlines were in December.

:wacko::unsure::angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Nightmares are in full swing. I really didn't think it would be this hard. This may actually kill me.

I haven't heard from a single school... and I'm not even Canadian! Most of my deadlines were in December.

:wacko::unsure::angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

um woosah?

Well I'm done for the year now. Thankfully I at least got two interviews, so now I know what to expect and how to prepare for next year. Definitely learned from the experience. Next time I am more carefully picking programs to apply to. Was a little naive this time around...

My silence has been broken. Just got an email from USC rejecting me. Actually, not hurt by it. Just hoping this is the start of hearing back from the other schools...of course, I would prefer acceptances next time! :)

Same here, I'm about to rip my hair out. Why do schools and jobs put us through this agony. UGH, let us know something!!! I turned in my application November 2011 for Spring 2012 semester. And still no word from them. :blink:

At least when I check the status of my application online it now says COMPLETE. It said INCOMPLETE for over 2 months!!! So I should be hearing something soon...right?!?!? :unsure: I am SOOOO nervous, I NEED to hear some news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The results survey shows that, for this one program at this one school, a few people have gotten admissions decisions late last week and then early this week. Then yesterday, a bunch of people got wait-listed. I, meanwhile, have gotten nothing. What does this mean? I'm hoping it means I'm high enough on the wait list that I might get bumped up to admitted very soon. Hope.

Ahhh! I thought that waiting without knowing anything was horrible. Now that I have a deadline on an acceptance - I experience true agony! :(

Instead of being happy just for being accepted (which of course I am), I refresh all the online apps even more frantically then before, waiting for an alternative offer with more funding. The one I got might not be good enough to allow me to move to the other side of the world, and I might have to decline :( I can't believe it. I've been waiting for this for so long and working so hard

Waiting before was nothing, compared to this. Hoping for yet another positive reply before I have to decide...

And this is also in the name of those who heard nothing at all:

Is it too early to contact programs and ask them WHAT IS GOING ON?

edit: sorry. had a rough moment there. I'm actually much more positive and happy with what I did get so far :)

Edited by Foreign Guy

Ahhh! I thought that waiting without knowing anything was horrible. Now that I have a deadline on an acceptance - I experience true agony! :(

Instead of being happy just for being accepted (which of course I am), I refresh all the online apps even more frantically then before, waiting for an alternative offer with more funding. The one I got might not be good enough to allow me to move to the other side of the world, and I might have to decline :( I can't believe it. I've been waiting for this for so long and working so hard

Waiting before was nothing, compared to this. Hoping for yet another positive reply before I have to decide...

And this is also in the name of those who heard nothing at all:

Is it too early to contact programs and ask them WHAT IS GOING ON?

edit: sorry. had a rough moment there. I'm actually much more positive and happy with what I did get so far :)

If it makes you feel any better the whole process is the same, accepted or waiting for news. Until you are actually in school or know you aren't going to a school, your mind is all over the place. No need to apologize :)

I don't which one is worse : a quick rejction or a long time-waited one?

A quick rejection is always better....kind of like pulling off a bandaid. You dont want to drag that out...

I was wondering about the "apply yourself" sites - where does it show the decision once it's been made? Under the "Check Application Status" link, or maybe that sidebar that right now says "Your application has been submitted for review" or whatever? Most of my schools are through this program, but I'm not really sure how it works come decision time. Thanks!

I was wondering about the "apply yourself" sites - where does it show the decision once it's been made? Under the "Check Application Status" link, or maybe that sidebar that right now says "Your application has been submitted for review" or whatever? Most of my schools are through this program, but I'm not really sure how it works come decision time. Thanks!

I think that each school will send you an email stating that you need to check the website for decisions; and they will upload an acceptance letter or rejection letter for you to read.

I think that each school will send you an email stating that you need to check the website for decisions; and they will upload an acceptance letter or rejection letter for you to read.

Oof. I'd rather have an email tbh. My current internet connection means that whole process will probably take a nerve-jangling five minutes.

some schools refuse to email you official acceptance and would rather snail mail it, so you might have to rely on your POI being kind enough to email you back