The Silence is Killing Me!

abrayto1

From my own experience with the process in the psychological sciences, I suggest taking note of visitation/interview days if your desired universities happen to have them. If that day has already passed, and you are not invited, assume rejection.

Well I wouldn't necessarily assume anything at this stage because they may not invite all wait listed students or even accepted students.

Well I wouldn't necessarily assume anything at this stage because they may not invite all wait listed students or even accepted students.

I suppose the possibility exists, but I would think it rather odd, especially since it seems like, more often than not, schools invite more people than they intend to accept (a notion supported by http://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/getArticle.cfm?id=2184.) It IS true that not all schools require interviews, but those with specific visitation/interview days, I've found, tend to use interviews as a required step in the process. That said, all of this comes from my experience and that of my friends/professors in psychology programs in the US. Not sure about other disciplines/countries and their way of doing things.

I received an email from a school on January 12th which acknowledged that they received my application in the department

and that the admissions committee will meet "sometime after March 1, 2012". Isn't that a little late for the admissions committee

to start looking at the applications? Sounds to me like I got dumped into the pre-screen reject bucket to be rejected along with the

rest of the pre-screen rejects, who usually all get rejected in mass sometime in March or April.

The funny thing is however that I have not seen any postings of this program on the results survey board here, so maybe they are

telling the truth??

I received an email from a school on January 12th which acknowledged that they received my application in the department

and that the admissions committee will meet "sometime after March 1, 2012". Isn't that a little late for the admissions committee

to start looking at the applications? Sounds to me like I got dumped into the pre-screen reject bucket to be rejected along with the

rest of the pre-screen rejects, who usually all get rejected in mass sometime in March or April.

The funny thing is however that I have not seen any postings of this program on the results survey board here, so maybe they are

telling the truth??

I'm new to the PhD game but the one consensus I seem to take away from everyone is that each program is like a 'snowflake' ... different ... can't judge one by the other

Given everything that's happened in my life and during my undergrad career, I'll be completely content if I get waitlisted and then get in, or don't get in during the first round of evaluations. As long as I get in, I'll be able to pursue my interests aggressively, and that's sufficient for me. Personally, I don't expect to be the top choice, because I know there are issues with my application. At best, I can show them that while I may not be the top choice, that my admission was still the right choice. I plan on working very hard at wherever I end up, just out of gratitude that they were willing to work with me and all my issues to help me succeed. But this is just personal opinion. I can certainly see where both of you (Starlajane and oseirus) are coming from. :)

I completely agree with this. If I get in anywhere I'll be more than grateful to have my foot in the door and really have a chance to shine and do what I do. I'll show I can handle the workload and that the school made a great decision. It's like the athlete who is mostly a bench player. They sit there most of the season until something happens and suddenly they are out there on the court, rink, or field. It is their moment to shine and they might not be the best but they were good enough to get a look and get signed. Now in the moment they have a chance to show why they got that chance.

Those who say "Oh I wouldn't go if I was second choice" and "it's an insult and disrespectful" are, IMO, individuals who have an attitude problem and probably not pleasant people to have in one's cohort as a fellow student or in a class as one's student. Sure it feels great to feel like you are in demand and are the top pick for someone to work with, it feels good and I don't blame anyone for wanting to get that feeling and embracing it. But it comes across as entitled, cocky, and ungrateful to essentially demand first pick or no pick and look down upon second offers, it's like the T.O.'s (football player) of grad school. Sure you might be good at what you do, really good, but the sense of entitlement and demand for the best or nothing isn't seen positively by most and in the end bites you in the ass. These are the types of people who perpetuate the sense of elitism and big egos.

These are the same people that get crushed when they get rejected from a school and are all about the "but I have perfect scores, and straight As, and I'm published, and my LORs are Noble Peace prize winners, and I save kittens why did I get rejected, I'm amazing and they should have taken me." Call me naive and a bit academically romantic, but I have a sneaking suspicion that a small part of an admissions decision comes from the sense of whether or not the "fit" includes "is this person going to be confident in their work but humble enough to know that I'm the boss and I'm the expert they are learning from." Perhaps that is why some stellar "on paper" students get in with ease while others with the same "great grades and applications" get wait listed or outright rejected.

There needs to be some humbleness especially when you are the student and those in the program are the mentors and experts. It's about respect towards those that a.) do what you hope to do one day, b.) have the ability to guide you and help you reach your goals, and c.) know more than you on the given subject most likely. Sure it's alright to strut and show off a bit when you get into a school and you know you were a first choice...but it's alright to do the same thing if you were wait listed and later came back around to and accepted. It means, you have something they think has potential and it is now your job to prove you can do it and prove they made a great choice in the end.

Remember you are the student they are the professor. One day you might be the professor and do you really want to work with/teach students who think they are too good for your work/class? But hey pass on those second offers and wait list offers if it makes you feel better about yourself....people like sansao, myself, and many other students will gladly accept your spot and the chance to really show what we've got.

I don't mean to offend anyone personally, this is just my take on the situation. Turn down all the second offers and wait lists you want, just know the spot won't be there later down the line because someone else will gratefully accept the offer.

Edited by quickinstinct

Remember you are the student they are the professor. One day you might be the professor and do you really want to work with/teach students who think they are too good for your work/class? But hey pass on those second offers and wait list offers if it makes you feel better about yourself....people like sansao, myself, and many other students will gladly accept your spot and the chance to really show what we've got.

Excellent post! You said exactly what I was thinking reading some of the comments on this thread, but couldn't verbalize. Well said. Anyone who feels that entitled before entering academia is going to be ground down miserably once they actually enter a program. From what I've been told, the first two years of many programs are basically intellectual hazing, and having an attitude problem is not going to endear you to anyone.

Excellent post! You said exactly what I was thinking reading some of the comments on this thread, but couldn't verbalize. Well said. Anyone who feels that entitled before entering academia is going to be ground down miserably once they actually enter a program. From what I've been told, the first two years of many programs are basically intellectual hazing, and having an attitude problem is not going to endear you to anyone.

Intellectual hazing?!?!?! Mmm yes! Been a while since I had to wake up @ 0300 to recite the Greek Alphabet ... wait ... I have never joined any Greek organization that hazes! I meant to say ... intellecual hazing is wrong! Yeah!

I only applied to two schools for my PhD in History: and both apps made it in just under the wire. One deadline was Jan 15 and I received the acceptance letter Feb 8. The other school's deadline was Jan 1 - my first choice. Since I hadn't heard from them, today I called the Grad School office and was told that my application had gone to the department for evaluation even though it had been missing my undergraduate official transcript. All they had received was the unofficial transcript I uploaded as required. Apparently the Committee doesn't require official transcripts but the Graduate School Dean - who has to approve all acceptances, does. So I was told that I wouldn't hear anything until they received the missing transcript -which I ordered (again) today. "Rush". I am hoping I didn't spend $35 to receive a rejection. But if I hadn't called, I guess I never would have known: the online status of my app was "complete".

Finding the Results Survey has been terrible for me. Four of my schools have no results posted yet, and last year they all came out in late February to mid-March. But one has three admissions already posted, spaced over the last five work days. So they're trickling out... and yet I shouldn't check my email every five minutes... wait, maybe it came while I was posting this, better go check...

I don't know which is more frustrating, quiet on the western front OR getting an email saying "Congratulations, your application is complete" for the third time. (I was so excited when I saw the congratulations. I had to take a breath an read the rest before I realized what it actually was)

I finally heard from somewhere today... happy to know I'm going to school next year at least :D I think now I can handle waiting the next two weeks...

I am jealous in a happy for you way. I'm glad to hear that you are having a great start to your application season. ^_^ Hope to be following in your footsteps to a grad school soon!

I don't know which is more frustrating, quiet on the western front OR getting an email saying "Congratulations, your application is complete" for the third time. (I was so excited when I saw the congratulations. I had to take a breath an read the rest before I realized what it actually was)

Haha!!! A couple weeks ago, I got a gorgeous envelope in the mail from one of my programs. My husband tried to read through the envelope by holding it up to light but all he saw was "Thank you for applying to ..." I was at work, so I had him open it and ... It was a three page letter thanking me for applying and with instructions on how to get into the school's application status check site.

I finally heard from somewhere today... happy to know I'm going to school next year at least :D I think now I can handle waiting the next two weeks...

Congrats! Guess the silence got way less deafening ... no? :)

The good news, however, is that we have made it to the second half of Feb!

This is true. It seems like the first round might be over, and I only got rejected from one program. Let's hope this turns out to be a positive turn of events.

I HATE those emails. I don't even want to know things about my application beyond the decision. The emails freak me out every time.

Thanks guys for the congrats - it's my safety, but it helps quiet the completely insane bgreenster inside of me saying that I'm never going to go anywhere and will work in a bar the rest of my life.

lol! not a big fan of this either: Please note that this email entirely independent of any admissions processes or decisions.

The good news, however, is that we have made it to the second half of Feb!

The bad news, however, is that we have until April 15 if you're on the waitlist