CUNY FL12 Acceptance

Trip,

I'm happy for you, but does this mean you have no more love for Boston?

I'm Boston til I die. Lived there for 7 years and would go back in a second. Still waiting for BU, Tufts, and Harvard to call me already and offer me a spot! ;) (I also have realized from day one how incredibly unlikely that last one is -- but, hey, in retrospect... glad I tried)

I'm Boston til I die. Lived there for 7 years and would go back in a second. Still waiting for BU, Tufts, and Harvard to call me already and offer me a spot! ;) (I also have realized from day one how incredibly unlikely that last one is -- but, hey, in retrospect... glad I tried)

Oh yes, it was unlikely you'd get in anywhere, oh father of the 0% acceptance thread! You're on a hot streak it seems. And Harvard is not as impossible as you might think rather all about fit. They just have 1,000s of applications, but the "pedigree" of those who finally get the spot in the end are not all prep school cradle to grave.

Edited by Grunty DaGnome

Oh yes, it was unlikely you'd get in anywhere, oh father of the 0% acceptance thread! You're on a hot streak it seems. And Harvard is not as impossible as you might think rather all about fit. They just have 1,000s of applications, but the "pedigree" of those who finally get the spot in the end are not all prep school cradle to grave.

Yes, not "all," just "most." ^_^ If I get accepted there, I will seriously feel like Larry the Cable Guy. Me and my UMass Boston undergrad B.A. transfer from Berklee College of Music will be in the dive bar singing Bruce Springsteen if you need us.

I see some rejections are hitting the boards. I wonder if they're emails or if you log in somewhere. I don't seem to be able to log in to a CUNY message board. I can only check if my file is complete :(

They must be e-mails; I was never able to go anywhere to check my status of materials or anything.

Received my acceptance email late this morning and thrilled, excited to see what kind of funding comes through (if it comes through, the email just noted that official information about funding would be sent soon). Congrats to those already accepted, and good luck to all!

Edited by woolferine

Me three. I can't even figure out how to post my rejection properly. Apparently, I've entered the "Captcha" words incorrectly. What's a "Captcha" word? No wonder I can't get in to grad school :(

Serves me right for showing hometown disloyalty and flirting with NY. C'mon Boston! Mama needs a new pair of shoes!

At first, I was devastated by this rejection, but this thread along with the results board makes it clear that a ton of really qualified, competitive applicants didn't get in.

CUNY's larger cohort size gave me a false sense of optimism about this app. Seeing my rejection instantly made me think: "damn, if I'm not good enough to even be wait-listed at CUNY with their 25 or so spots, I surely have no shot at Michigan, Rutgers, Boston, Texas, etc." But seeing some of the regulars on here, along with some people with great stats on the results board, get rejected, I realize that CUNY is as competitive as anywhere.

This is also starting to make me lean towards the "mention specific profs in SOP" argument. On some applications, I mentioned my fit with specific professors (one of which has already accepted me; I haven't heard back from the rest). On others, I wrote more vague and generic fit paragraphs (this accounts for most of my early rejections/implicit rejections).

It really is disheartening to have to give up my dreams of studying in New York. At least NYU and CUNY have dashed those hopes rather swiftly.

Edited by Rupert Pupkin

How is it that I get rejected from CUNY but Michael Costello is moving on another week on Project Runway All-Stars. The Universe makes no sense.

-coming out of nowhere or anywhere-

but i have to reply to this with a big: LOL.

(not because of your rejection, dont get me wrong)

i applied also to CUNY, but to the Hispanic Luso-Brazilian Literature....and still waiting.

THERE'S NO TIM GUNN?!?!

I, too, am still waiting. But, I'm looking forward to putting it behind me for the weekend, at least, and, attempting life as a real human being.

I think you're in good shape Germaine. Thanks for commiserating with me so much about CUNY. I'm really rooting for you!

And yes, Project Runway had the nerve to make a reunion "all stars" show with all the best non-winner finalists from past seasons, but for some reason, they did it in the off season with no Heidi, no Michael Kors and worst of all, NO TIM GUNN!

Edited by Grunty DaGnome

Was thinking earlier that I will probably go here unless I get into Harvard or Yale. Although, I still have some thinking to do and I need to know about funding. Also, Amherst is a cool little town. Buffalo is definitely out at this point. CUNY is an amazing program. Definitely a top choice.

Edited by TripWillis

I think you're in good shape Germaine. Thanks for commiserating with me so much about CUNY. I'm really rooting for you!

And yes, Project Runway had the nerve to make a reunion "all stars" show with all the best non-winner finalists from past seasons, but for some reason, they did it in the off season with no Heidi, no Michael Kors and worst of all, NO TIM GUNN!

Thanks Grunty! I really appreciate that.

That's terrible about PR. And I was never a fan of Michael Costello. The day he wins all-stars is the day I give up on applying to PhD programs: i.e. don't hold your BREATH. :D

Rooting for you, too.

Edited by Germaine123