So, Yale

If the last few years are anything to go by, tomorrow is Yale Day. I have a few too many eggs in this particular basket at this point, so I kind of feel like I'm on my last day on death row hoping for a pardon from the governor. And I live in Texas.

Best of luck to you! I didn't apply for Yale English, but I applied to Yale American Studies because... it's just an incredible program. I would be thrilled to get in.

Harvard is also supposed to come out tomorrow/Saturday... I shouldn't be nervous because I know I won't get in but... I am. A little.

I hear you both about Harvard and Yale. I also applied to Princeton, and they are supposed to notify soon. None of these are programs that I am dying to attend (Yale and Princeton were totally "why not?" applications), but now that I am this far down the grad-school rabbit hole, every potential notification makes me nervous.

I hear you both about Harvard and Yale. I also applied to Princeton, and they are supposed to notify soon. None of these are programs that I am dying to attend (Yale and Princeton were totally "why not?" applications), but now that I am this far down the grad-school rabbit hole, every potential notification makes me nervous.

I mean, congrats on Berkeley and Michigan! Both fantastic programs. Funny that you got rejected at UCLA but in at those two... Makes me feel better about my Davis rejection.

Do any of you know what's up with the interviews? I wonder if Yale's English program is going to be conducting them after all. I remember reading a back-and-forth conversation on the Results Board a few weeks ago discussing a change in policy that required all programs in the GSAS to interview their finalists. Someone even posted the following link: http://www.yaledaily...ver-interviews/. However, it's interesting that someone in this community got accepted to the comp. lit. program without interviewing (of course, that program was the most resistant to the idea of the interviews according to the article). Hmmm... Let's hope the English program follows suit.

Good luck, y'all!

Edited by takethiswaltz

i received the acceptance with no interview

also, from whom did you hear that harvard would announce admissions decisions tomorrow? is that for english, i assume?

the dgs for princeton comp lit told me that it would be the first week of march.

Edited by vordhosbntwin

I mean, congrats on Berkeley and Michigan! Both fantastic programs. Funny that you got rejected at UCLA but in at those two... Makes me feel better about my Davis rejection.

Thanks, TripWillis! I see you've gotten into quite a few good programs yourself. In terms of UCLA, I feel like all of these programs are equally competitive, so it's hard to judge where you'll get in based on relative prestige. Like everyone else says, I guess it's all about fit. I had trouble writing a convincing UCLA fit paragraph, and it was also the first one I submitted, so I didn't really have my shit together yet. At this point, I just want this process to be over! i was so worried about not getting in anywhere that I applied to 14 schools, but now I wish I'd been a little more conservative, as it's going to take forever to hear from all of them.

Thanks, TripWillis! I see you've gotten into quite a few good programs yourself. In terms of UCLA, I feel like all of these programs are equally competitive, so it's hard to judge where you'll get in based on relative prestige. Like everyone else says, I guess it's all about fit. I had trouble writing a convincing UCLA fit paragraph, and it was also the first one I submitted, so I didn't really have my shit together yet. At this point, I just want this process to be over! i was so worried about not getting in anywhere that I applied to 14 schools, but now I wish I'd been a little more conservative, as it's going to take forever to hear from all of them.

I had trouble writing a convincing Davis SoP. I think I was a good fit there, but splitting the SoP into two 500 word documents (PH and SoP) was just impossible for me. I hated it. I knew they were terrible.

I also wish I didn't have to hear back from so many schools (6 more at this point), but I'm also glad I'll have some choices and maybe some leverage. I definitely agree that it is all about fit, not how good you are vs. how prestigious the school is. In fact, I actually think I have a really good shot at Yale Am Studies. Normally, I would think that's crazy, but now that I reread what I sent them, I dunno... could definitely happen.

I'm not affiliated with Yale, but I know someone in the PhD program, and I was told that the final list of accepted applicants was drafted last week, but acceptances might not go out until next week. So don't be surprised if you hear something today, but also, don't be alarmed if you don't. I haven't heard anything about interviews. It seems awfully late in the game for schools to request interviews, nu?

Aaargh so nervous about this one. Not that excited about the prospect of living in New Haven from what I've read, but still, amazing program, and probably better placement than my current acceptances. Eep.

New Haven isn't that bad. It really isn't. Go a little farther afield and it gets a bit hairy, yeah, but that's oversold. (Often, I assume, by Yale undergrads who come from money and think anywhere that isn't a gated community is "high crime.") If you stick fairly close to the campus bubble, and you're likely to at most schools, you'll find a lot of cool galleries and restaurants. Plus, taking MetroNorth into NYC is cheap and convenient and drops you right at Grand Central. Or you can hope off at the previous stop if you want to check out Columbia. Only takes about an hour and a half.

New Haven isn't that bad. It really isn't. Go a little farther afield and it gets a bit hairy, yeah, but that's oversold. (Often, I assume, by Yale undergrads who come from money and think anywhere that isn't a gated community is "high crime.") If you stick fairly close to the campus bubble, and you're likely to at most schools, you'll find a lot of cool galleries and restaurants. Plus, taking MetroNorth into NYC is cheap and convenient and drops you right at Grand Central. Or you can hope off at the previous stop if you want to check out Columbia. Only takes about an hour and a half.

Thanks for that, ComeBackZinc, it seems sometimes like no one has anything good to say about New Haven! Those are all very positive aspects.

NO MORE SPECULATIVE THREADS. MAKES MY HEART AND STOMACH GO CRAYZEE.

I hear that. I just happened to stumble upon this thread last night before I went to bed, and proceeded to have dreams AND nightmares about Yale acceptances/rejections.

By the way, according to past years' polls, Brown would be today-ish as well. Fabulous.

I really would not be shocked to get rejections from most of my remaining schools, but the speculating about the potential day of impending doom/elation is still making my heart race a bit... and yet here I am, at work (where I swore I would NEVER log on to Grad Cafe), checking to see if anyone has heard...

I don't usually post here... I am on the art history boards but we don't have a dedicated thread for me to freak out about Yale. (our decision day has also typically been today-ish)

I got a phone call this morning from a number I didn't recognize and raced to turn the radio off and collected myself so as to sound presentable. It was a test of the emergency response services at my university. I NEARLY HAD A HEART ATTACK!

the dgs for princeton comp lit told me that it would be the first week of march.

Bless you for posting this.

I also wish I didn't have to hear back from so many schools (6 more at this point), but I'm also glad I'll have some choices and maybe some leverage. I definitely agree that it is all about fit, not how good you are vs. how prestigious the school is. In fact, I actually think I have a really good shot at Yale Am Studies. Normally, I would think that's crazy, but now that I reread what I sent them, I dunno... could definitely happen.

I really, really want to reread what I wrote to my top choice program for the same sort of emotional reinforcement, but I have this unshakeable fear that I'll either: 1) hate it now, or 2) spot typos.