How to answer the "are we your topic choice" question in interview?

lindali

So I'm about to have a few interviews, and preparing possible questions. One question that I'll be scared to be asked is "is *** your topic choice?"

The truth is, I have a few comparable interviews, no one is a sure offer yet, I'm also not sure where I'll end up going as I plan to find out more about the school during the interviews. On the other hand, I don't want to sound hesitant and minimize my chances of getting an offer.

How do you approach this issue, if you have the same situation? How to convey enthusiasm while at same don't want to piss them off if in the end you don't want to go (the academic field is small and connected, so don't want to lose credibility from the beginning).

Any thoughts/experiences welcome!

I only have been on two interviews, but neither have asked that yet. In fact I found out after the first interview was over, there were a few questions they actually were not allowed to ask (including where else we applied, where our top choices were, etc.) but that was only for one school.

As for if you do get asked that question..think of the positives. You applied to that school for a reason, and if you are going for an interview would hopefully go to that school if accepted, so just think about why. Tell them what you like about their program, research, or clinical training and why it would be a good fit for you.

It's good to hear that they are not allowed to ask these specific questions! Hope more schools do this. I heard from a few friends they were asked, either directly or indirectly, about the possibility of them taking the offer.

I think if they ask "is *** your top choice"? I'll say "I really like this place for blah blah blah reasons and can see myself being very happy and productive here." Hope they don't think I'm evading the question~

Even if it is your top choice, I recommend saying "X University is among the top of my considerations." Play your cards right and you might walk away with more consideration for funding, fellowships, etc..

I like this advice- At an interview, I did get asked where else I applied and interviewed and how that particular program ranked for me against the others. Be prepared to answer it! Also, be prepared for questions that are more common for job interviews (how you handle conflicts at work, how you work with others, the type of mentorship style you prefer). I had to answer all of these questions at the same interview as above. If you plan ahead for these "not likely" questions, you won't get frazzled on the spot. Lastly, at this interview, I was pretty honest about all of the questions she asked (not evading the questions), and it seemed to work in my favor...don't shoot yourself in the foot, but be as honest and genuine as possible.

Good luck!

Say something nondescript like, there are several schools near the top of my list and I really won't know which one fits best with me until I visit them all.

This

If I get this question I am so gonna deflect it. That's really not an appropriate question to ask in my opinion. Am I allowed to ask who their top candidate at the moment is? Didn't think so.

This

If I get this question I am so gonna deflect it. That's really not an appropriate question to ask in my opinion. Am I allowed to ask who their top candidate at the moment is? Didn't think so.

Why do you sound so aggressive and combative?

Anyway, you can -- in a way. I always asked how many people were being interviewed for how many spots whenever I visited a school. I did have a crutch of already having been accepted to one of my top choices before even flying out and visiting anywhere, though, so I did have an extra bout of confidence.

Anyway, you can -- in a way. I always asked how many people were being interviewed for how many spots whenever I visited a school. I did have a crutch of already having been accepted to one of my top choices before even flying out and visiting anywhere, though, so I did have an extra bout of confidence.

But asking how many is not the same as asking where or who. You can ask how many other people are interviewing, or they might tell you, but you can't ask "am I your top choice?" The question is inappropriate from both sides. The thing is, though, they can get away with it. You're not likely to turn down an acceptance just because they asked where your top choice was. As an applicant, though, they can (and will) reject you if you ask inappropriate questions in the interview.

The other thing is, there are inappropriate questions and then there are illegal questions. It's not illegal to ask where else you've applied. It is illegal to ask if you're married, if you have kids, if you're planning on having kids, etc.

At my interview this weekend, they asked "if you were accepted, how likely is it that you would come here?" because they don't have a wait list. If you decline the offer, it simply disappears. Thankfully they are my top choice, so I didn't have to evade the question! I was honest about my other interviews and admission offer thus far. I wanted them to take me seriously and to recognize that other schools have shown interest in me.

• 4 months later...

^^No, because word gets around. Our big conference is during applicant visit season in Jan/Feb and professors talk about incoming students. I was told about a group of profs from different universities who discovered they had a mutual candidate who had told each of them their university was his "top choice". None were pleased. Lying is bad.

(That's probably a rare situation but why take a chance?)

^^No, because word gets around. Our big conference is during applicant visit season in Jan/Feb and professors talk about incoming students. I was told about a group of profs from different universities who discovered they had a mutual candidate who had told each of them their university was his "top choice". None were pleased. Lying is bad.

(That's probably a rare situation but why take a chance?)

Yup... that about sums my worst nightmare-- :(

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe... they just want to see how you react to a difficult question. I might do that if I were an employer, in order to avoid hiring someone who will e.g. display aggression when faced with pressure.