Vanier CGS 2012 Competition

Clarrien

Hello out there,

As far as I can tell, no one has started a thread for the current (i.e. awarded in 2012) Vanier CGS competition. I thought it would be great for people to join and share when they hear the word about the Vanier and how they hear (i.e. by mail, email, through their university). From past years it looks like we have about six weeks to go, the results seem to come out mostly in early April. Good luck!

Congratulations to everyone who was nominated!

I wonder if anyone who was nominated by their university would be willing to provide some details about their application. What kind of community/leadership activities have successful nominees been involved in? What is their current area of research and how accomplished are nominees in regards to publications etc.

Hi lemonbeans,

I'll share some details.

I'm in Biology.

I have 2 peer-reviewed pubs as a co-author, and three reports, all as co-authors. I did discuss how I am involved in a few collaborations right now in addition to my thesis, so while didn't promise numbers of papers, I think I gave the impression I have a substantial amount on the go that will likely be published.

I do a lot of service work in scientific societies, I am student rep in a few, on my uni grad council and a few other committees, do some community volunteer work and volunteer on election campaigns.

Hope that helps!

Hi lemonbeans, I was nominated this year by my university. My field is medical research and I had 2 first authored pubs, 3 co-authored pubs, and 1 submitted when the application went in. As for volunteering.. I went abroad to volunteer in health and education-related projects, plus some hospital and community volunteering at home.

I wonder if anyone who was nominated by their university would be willing to provide some details about their application. What kind of community/leadership activities have successful nominees been involved in? What is their current area of research and how accomplished are nominees in regards to publications etc.

Hey Lemonbeans. My application was probably a bit different than others', since I had been out of school for a few years and had worked in the meantime as a lawyer. On the community/leadership front, I think I talked about TAing a class during law school, volunteering with the bar association while in practice, some of my student activities, and possibly some political volunteering I had done (though that might not have ended up in the final version; also, I'm an international student, so I wasn't worried about being tainted by saying I supported one of the Canadian parties). I listed one peer-reviewed publication, along with a couple of other reports and such that I had assisted with while in practice and a presentation at a minor conference. That said, I can see how someone applying after their first year of their doctorate would have a huge advantage over those of us who applied during (or before) the first year—since October, I've presented at one national conference and have been accepted to a second, I have one paper based on my masters thesis in submission and another on the way, etc.

Keep in mind that I'm competing in the SSHRC category. I anticipate a lot of SSHRC nominees are heavy on the community/leadership stuff and weaker on the publication front, while the reverse if probably true for the science councils.

Hey Everyone,

According to the Vanier site, results will come out on Research Net on April 15th. In my previous experience with 3 different CIHR applications on ResearchNet, they are always on time, and an email is sent from ResearchNet on the date. Unlike NSERC and SSHRC, the results have always come up exactly on the original posted date. There is never any speculating or waiting around for results!

I noticed from previous forums that letters were mailed in the past, but it seems likely that it will be on ResearchNet on April 15th.

This is entirely my guess based on my previous experience. Thought this might help for those who will be checking panicking checking their mailboxes every day.

For those who have applied in previous years, was it done on ResearchNet? Was there a firm deadline like it appears to be for this year?

Hey Degelman

I applied last year and was forwarded to the national competition (CIHR)... I got my rejection letter in snail mail around the end of April. Very cool if they're going with researchNet this year though. Where on the site does it say that?

Thanks for posting, Degelman. Wait2000 - if you go to http://www.researchnet-recherchenet.ca/rnr16/vwOpprtntyDtls.do?prog=1366&language=E, the reserach net link from the Vanier page, it says the anticipated notice of decision is April 15th... hopefully they are indeed on time!

Me again.. I just emailed the Vanier office, as I needed to update my address on file, in the case they were mailing out.

This is the reply I received. Looks like it will be on Research Net by April 15th. (at least for CIHR)

Thought I would post the update.

Hello,

Thank you for your message. Vanier competition results will be out by April 15, 2012

(ref:

http://www.researchnet-recherchenet.ca/rnr16/vwOpprtntyDtls.do?prog=1370&view=browseArchive&browseArc=true&progType=CIHR-5&type=AND&resultCount=25&next=2)

Yes, result letters were delivered by mail the previous years. This year however,

there will be a slight change in the procedure. Results will be available through

ResearchNet, as it is done in other CIHR Award programs. Nonetheless, if there is

any change in your mailing contact please let CIHR know as soon as possible. We will

up date our record accordingly.

Program Delivery Coordinator, Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships

Hello all !

That's my first participation here! That's for all posts and comments! They are very useful, specially when we are here...just waiting for news and wondering what are our chances. :)

Yay! 1 month more to know the Vanier results.... finally!

Well, I'll share some details about my application as well. I'm in Electrical and Computer Enginnering, but my project is completely focused on Medical applications.

I have 5 peer-reviewed papers as 1st author (2 from PhD), 2 as a co-author, and 8 conference proceedings. I also have a couple of oral presentations, and some posters presentations. Regarding the leadership, I did discuss how I am involved with extra-curricular activities. In my case, I was a competitive swimmer/basketball player. I also have mentioned previous achievements (prizes, etc) both as an athlete and as a student. But my main point was trying to show my collaborative/interdisciplinar abilities by carrying on research in two "different" worlds: bio and eng.

I never did any community work, and my only voluntary experience was organizing an expo science for the less fortunated kids in my home country.

Hope that helps!

Good luck to everybody !!!! :)

Yup - 1 month to go.... has anyone tried holding their breath for a whole month???? :wacko: One second thought - I need to just try and completely forget about it (NOT!!!)

Any other coping strategies out there - please do share!!

That's my "first last" chance... :( Last year I was rejected by the university.

Well, holding beath......one month.....trying to forget about it and all possible "dreams" that would come true.. ;)

Edited by GregSkier

I too can't stop checking the GradCafe for updates! I don't know how the next month will ever go by! Good luck everyone - GregSkier - I think you have good chances! Sports seemed really important, and I have nothing sportiv on my application!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know offhand what the success rate is for Vanier, by tri-council category, among the group that is forwarded to national competition? I believe that the universities are allocated 200 nominees per group (for a total of 600) per year, but have no idea whether they actually forward that number, or if its substantially less than that.

you're right, the results are on researchnet now.

i didn't get one unfortunately.

congratulations to all those who did, commiserations to all those who didn't...