Vanier CGS 2012 Competition

Clarrien

I just call the NSERC responsible for Vanier : She told me that they HAD technical problems yesterday and results wil be available on researchnet today or later this week.

Where exactly on Researchnet will it give the Vanier results?

They should be e-mailing us the moment that they are up in ResearchNet, whenever that occurs (hopefully soon!). At that point, as soon as you log into your ResearchNet account it will be very obvious where your results are via a link.

Edited by une17

I have made 2 different calls, one to researchnet and one to NSERC Vanier :

Researchnet : Results are now available in researchnet for the 3 councils

NSERC VANIER : Results will be available today or later this week

Who i am supposed to trust ??

I have made 2 different calls, one to researchnet and one to NSERC Vanier :

Researchnet : Results are now available in researchnet for the 3 councils

NSERC VANIER : Results will be available today or later this week

Who i am supposed to trust ??

Well they aren't there when we log into ResearchNet so I wouldn't trust ResearchNet's assertion very much haha....

Guys, I got it!! NSERC Vanier! I scored 35th out of 204 NSERC applicants, with a score of 6.83 out of 9, since people have been reporting stats. Good luck everyone!!

Congratulation Clarrien !

I have been rejected.

I have been rejected too (NSERC).

No more wait, no more "dreams".

Good luck to the others! And congratulations for who got it !

(75/204 - score: 5.57)

Edited by GregSkier

Hi all,

I've been reading all of your posts for days - thanks so much for everyone who shared valuable information. Just found out that I got an NSERC vanier! FYI, my score was 7.58 out of 9 and i was ranked 21st overall.

Best of luck to everyone else - for those of you who don't get it, there's still lots of CGSs out there to be won :)

Hi all,

I've been reading all of your posts for days - thanks so much for everyone who shared valuable information. Just found out that I got an NSERC vanier! FYI, my score was 7.58 out of 9 and i was ranked 21st overall.

Best of luck to everyone else - for those of you who don't get it, there's still lots of CGSs out there to be won :)

Way to go lsaunder! Awesome!!! You beat me :)

Congratulations to all the Vanier recipients! :)

AND congratulations to all the finalists who didn't get a Vanier, but will almost certainly pick up a nice $105,000 consolation prize in the form of a CGS-D.

For what it's worth, I didn't get it. My application was ranked 70 / 204 for the NSERC competition with a score of 5.63 / 9, whatever that means.

Does anyone know how many Vanier awards were handed out? Where was the cutoff? Based on the discussion so far in this thread, it seems like 35 < cutoff < 55.

Cheers :)

Impossible !!!!!!

there is 166 Vanier award each year :

2 council get 55 each

and the third get 56 !

Perhaps they count from 0 (i.e. maybe the committee is headed by a computer scientist...)?

Maybe one person will turn it down and you will get it... fingers crossed!

Well seems like I am the unluckiest applicant this year. sighz, thanks for the kind words guys, but a person will probably have to be crazy to turn Vanier CGS down lol.

Impossible !!!!!!

there is 166 Vanier award each year :

2 council get 55 each

and the third get 56 !

There were 166 Vanier scholarships awarded the first year (2009), but the program was intended to reach a full capacity of 500. I don't know if it is operating at full capacity yet, but I would be really surprised if the number has not increased at all from 166 by now. Also, I haven't seen (and admittedly have not tried to find) a breakdown of awards granted through each council, but it need not be equal (or even close to equal).

I'm quite happy to be corrected, if someone has found more specific information on the Vanier website.

This is from the current page on application details:

"Once submitted to the appropriate granting agency, each nomination is evaluated by an agency-specific selection committee. Each selection committee recommends the top 55 or 56 candidates (for a total of 167 candidates between all three granting agencies) to the Selection Board based on the nominee's academic and research potential, as well as their leadership skills."

So I guess I was rejected by the selection board, BLAH! Why am I still trolling this forum, I really don't know. Just very disappointed I guess.

There are also quotas by school, and some of them were close to being exhausted (they get a quota for a 3 year period, and this was the 3rd year). That might be another reason...