Vanier CGS 2012 Competition

Clarrien

It depends on the school. Waterloo is quite generous, and will cover my tuition plus some more. I imagine other schools will at least wave tuition, but some schools might not be willing to do this.

It depends on the school. Waterloo is quite generous, and will cover my tuition plus some more. I imagine other schools will at least wave tuition, but some schools might not be willing to do this.

No, I don't think so. Someone I know at Waterloo had been exempt from paying international tuition (she paid the same as domestic students), but when she won Vanier, she lost that exemption AND her department funding. She would have ended up with only around $5,000 more in her pocket than she would have had without Vanier. She managed to convince the department to cover the difference between domestic tuition and international tuition; otherwise there is not much incentive, besides honour, for international students to go through the rigorous application process.

Vanier recipients are also not eligible for the UW President's scholarship given to OGS, SSHRC, NSERC and CIHR recipients.

Or course, as a Vanier recipient at Waterloo, I'd love nothing better than to be corrected, if you know something I don't know, j3doucet!

Waterloo hasn't offered me anything except their congratulations :) They don't feel the need to provide the President's Grad Scholarship to Vanier winners as incentive to stay at Waterloo because they know you can't take your Vanier anywhere else. Maybe some departments offer tuition credits, etc. but that certainly isn't the case in Biology. Not that I'm complaining - $50 grand (tax free!) is good enough for me, even if I have to pay tuition out of it :)

Sorry, I should clarify: The CS department is offering me an extra (CS only) award which covers my tuition, and a full TA. My supervisor is suggesting an extra RA stipend on top (though reduced). So it depends not only on your school, but on your department, faculty, and supervisor as well.

well then it seems there is no set rules in place, which is bad...with other fundings they explicitly explain whether departments are responsible for tuition or top-ups or not....I could not find any such thing for vanier and I would appreciate if anyone has some documents explaining things about this award

thanks

Hi all,

It’s a bit late to join this conversation now. My SSHRC Vanier application was ranked within the 5 or 6 which were cut. I got a score of 6.7/9. After inquiring, I was told that a wait list does exist. Does anyone know of successful candidates who have declined their Vanier? Or, of other waitlisted candidates who have been offered awards?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I missed the cut by 3 positions. They told me additional awards are available through declined awards and early termination of previous awards. Declined is less likely, but early termination is possible. I won't get my hopes up though, but I will be a little hopeful too, if that makes sense lol!

• 2 weeks later...

I think some people will have declined the Vanier - I also considered declining as I was thinking of changing institutions. Fingers crossed some people get good news soon!

I was logging on here to see if any of the successful Vanier applicants have received any information about when the public announcement will be.

• 1 month later...

When I had to contact the Vanier folks at SSHRC about something back in late April, I took the opportunity to ask when they expected to make the official public announcement. I was told it was "anticipated that the announcement [would] be made some time in May." Does anyone have more recent information?

• 3 weeks later...