Vanier CGS 2012 Competition

Clarrien

Hi all! It's been a great comfort, reading your posts all day yesterday and today. I would like to share that I got Vanier SSHRC. I'm just so very happy and proud! I can't believe I got it! My score is 6.8 out of 9 and I was ranked 50 in the list. I feel so lucky and thankful!

Hi all! It's been a great comfort, reading your posts all day yesterday and today. I would like to share that I got Vanier SSHRC. I'm just so very happy and proud! I can't believe I got it! My score is 6.8 out of 9 and I was ranked 50 in the list. I feel so lucky and thankful!

Congrats, anthgrad!! We are very very lucky, the competition was very tough I think, so many very qualified applicants.

This is from the current page on application details:

"Once submitted to the appropriate granting agency, each nomination is evaluated by an agency-specific selection committee. Each selection committee recommends the top 55 or 56 candidates (for a total of 167 candidates between all three granting agencies) to the Selection Board based on the nominee's academic and research potential, as well as their leadership skills."

So I guess I was rejected by the selection board, BLAH! Why am I still trolling this forum, I really don't know. Just very disappointed I guess.

This year only 50 applicants were selected for each agency. Such a shame!

This is from the current page on application details:

"Once submitted to the appropriate granting agency, each nomination is evaluated by an agency-specific selection committee. Each selection committee recommends the top 55 or 56 candidates (for a total of 167 candidates between all three granting agencies) to the Selection Board based on the nominee's academic and research potential, as well as their leadership skills."

So I guess I was rejected by the selection board, BLAH! Why am I still trolling this forum, I really don't know. Just very disappointed I guess.

Thanks, Naim! Like I said, I didn't go looking to far for stats, just a cursory glance at the website, really. I'm amazed that at this point of operation, the program is still not up offering the full capacity of 500 awards, or even any more than the first year!

Don't feel too discouraged or take it personally. It's a huge achievement even to get forwarded by your university. There are so many factors that go into the selection process that have zero reflection on your application (like the possibility that your university's quota could have been exhausted, for example). I hope you applied for SSHRC; if you got this far in the Vanier competition, you surely have a good shot at SSHRC, which should be some consolation.

Edited by bedalia

Thanks, Naim! Like I said, I didn't go looking to far for stats, just a cursory glance at the website, really. I'm amazed that at this point of operation, the program is still not up offering the full capacity of 500 awards, or even any more than the first year!

Don't feel too discouraged or take it personally. It's a huge achievement even to get forwarded by your university. There are so many factors that go into the selection process that have zero reflection on your application (like the possibility that your university's quota could have been exhausted, for example). I hope you applied for SSHRC; if you got this far in the Vanier competition, you surely have a good shot at SSHRC, which should be some consolation.

Refuse Vanier awards is possible. Many students have offers in foreign universities and caanot get Vanier. So be confident.

eliasg, I contacted Vanier to enquire about the discrepency with my ranking and what was on the website and was informed that this year it was not 55 to 56, but just 50 that were selected by each granting agency.

They are not alllowed to do this. Its off course due to the budget of last thursday. !!!

Hard luck man !

I am sure that you will get CGS-D

eliasg, I contacted Vanier to enquire about the discrepency with my ranking and what was on the website and was informed that this year it was not 55 to 56, but just 50 that were selected by each granting agency.

Hmm I guess I feel a little better knowing I didn't miss it by one or two positions, five is..acceptable I guess haha. Mind telling us what was your ranking?

The sucky part for me is that I am an international student, so this is the only BIG scholarship I can apply for. Hope my goddamned PR application gets approved before next year's deadline for PGS/CGS :X.

Hmm I guess I feel a little better knowing I didn't miss it by one or two positions, five is..acceptable I guess haha. Mind telling us what was your ranking?

The sucky part for me is that I am antry did tyoun international student, so this is the only BIG scholarship I can apply for. Hope my goddamned PR application gets approved before next year's deadline for PGS/CGS :X.

From which country did you come ??

Choice of University

Vanier scholars are encouraged to continuously broaden their research horizons and seek new challenges. For this reason, Vanier CGS candidates are strongly encouraged to pursue their studies at a university other than that (or those) which granted their undergraduate and graduate degrees.

Candidates who are nominated by a university at which they have completed a previous degree must provide a strong and compelling rationale, in the Special Circumstancessection of the application, as to why they have chosen to undertake their PhD at the same university.

that being said last year at my school, 2 of the 4 winners did their masters at the school.

side note: any sshrc applicants know the total number that applied? (ie 50/xxx)

Edited by JerriBlank

Ok I think that I will go to sleep now.

Congratulations for Vanier and PGS/CGS winners

Hard luck for those who did not make it

ANd good luck for all people that are waiting their results.

See you tomorrow !

Well, I guess this forum is dead now! Congrats to all Vanier winners and good luck in the future to everyone! See you when we all apply for PDF!

Well, I guess this forum is dead now! Congrats to all Vanier winners and good luck in the future to everyone! See you when we all apply for PDF!

You want to do PDF Clarrien ??

You must apply to Banting.

I am surre you will get it.

Good luck in your future

Hi,

CIHR rejection ... I got 5.33 as a score which is 115th out of 215 applicants - not even close!! oh well.... congrats to everyone who won!! So it sounds like the score is out of 9....

- I'll keep my fingers crossed for cihr ...:) Anyone hear anything about that? I'm wondering if you get vanier cihr, will you get bumped automatically from eligibility for pgs cihr?

Hi,

CIHR rejection ... I got 5.33 as a score which is 115th out of 215 applicants - not even close!! oh well.... congrats to everyone who won!! So it sounds like the score is out of 9....

- I'll keep my fingers crossed for cihr ... :) Anyone hear anything about that? I'm wondering if you get vanier cihr, will you get bumped automatically from eligibility for pgs cihr?

If it works like NSERC, then the Vanier competition is totally separate from the CGS/PGS application... so if someone is offered a Vanier CIHR, they may or may not be offered a CIHR PGS...

Hi all,

Does anyone know what the phrase "strict confidence until formal public announcement" really means? It says this on my letter - obviously I told my mom and close friends and supervisor right away, but now my department wants to make an announcement and I'm not sure if that's actually okay. I have no idea when this "formal public announcement" actually happens, but I'm pretty sure the results aren't much of a secret considering I have now received a letter from my graduate studies office as well. Anyone have any idea? Thanks!

My understanding is that this means no public, broadcast announcements. I doubt they are expecting anyone to keep this from their immediate family, or even necessarily from their supervisors (hlpes them plan next year's budget), but they clearly want to keep the press release to themselves. If you make a public broadcast anywhere the press could get hold of it, my understanding is that you're violating the spirit of the statement if not the letter as well.

That said, I am not NSERC. You could try emailing them. Also, I suspect I'll run into you in person at some point, fellow Warrior. Congrats.

I agree. They want to be able to make the big announcement themselves, so your department should not make an announcement until after the official public announcement by Vanier. But it is unreasonable to expect us not to tell family, friends and departments (who will be informed by the grad studies office, anyway), especially when you consider that the official public announcement last year was not made until August! I've shared among my close family and friends and within my department while cautioning them against going public with the news for now.

Hi all,

Does anyone know what the phrase "strict confidence until formal public announcement" really means? It says this on my letter - obviously I told my mom and close friends and supervisor right away, but now my department wants to make an announcement and I'm not sure if that's actually okay. I have no idea when this "formal public announcement" actually happens, but I'm pretty sure the results aren't much of a secret considering I have now received a letter from my graduate studies office as well. Anyone have any idea? Thanks!

Your department should definitely not be making an announcement at this point. Call the Vanier office directly - they answer the phones. Ask them to send you an email you can pass along to your department. Of course we all tell family and supervisors, my whole department basically knows by now (my supervisors were pretty excited!) but they also know not make any public announcement.

CONGRATS!

Hello and congrats to ya all!

I have a Q about the Vanier terms and conditions in general, I wonder those of you who got the award will have to pay your tuition yourself or will you get a top-up to cover that? I mean do you have to pay the tuition from the $50,000?>

I am just trying to compare scholarships

thanks

Edited by MJ1986