Sh^t People Say About (History) Graduate School

TMP

Oh, how about this when your family visits you (especially abroad):

"Since you're studying history, tell us the history of the area as part of our tour."

I felt like I didn't do Munich justice after giving a lovely overview of Berlin's 200 year old history as I was living there. That's not fair. Bavarian civilization existed longer than up in Berlin!

"Why do you go to school -there- to study Latin American history?? Why don't you go to school in Latin America?"

"How long will it take for your PhD? Are you crazy??"

"What does your husband think about this?"

"You're such an inspiration!" [This is how you know you're way older than the typical PhD student ... ]

"Why did you apply to Wisconsin, it snows there?"

"Why are you waiting on X school to respond Y school you got into is better!" [not in my field]

"You study science?" [ah... not exactly]

"Must be hard to study that as a girl...." [Well... no actually, those supposedly backwards people who put their lives on their line to defend your academic freedom have never treated me with anything but respect... and wouldn't call me a girl.]

"That Princeton tuition must be an arm and a leg...."

"Oh, you must be super rich (or smart) to be at Princeton...."

"How many copies of your book will sell?"

"How much was your book contract for?" [My mother to my sister when told that she was publishing with Big Name University Press]

"Oh, you don't want to work there, it's hot, cold, distant, boring, a red state..."

"The service academies aren't like real universities... why do you talk to those people?"

Actual conversation, February 2011:

Sparky: So I'm interested in the grad student support group. Are there still spots available?

Counselor: Oh, that group hasn't gotten started yet. What do you do?

Sparky: History. I'm a medievalist.

Counselor: The group starts next week. Here's the paperwork.

:rolleyes::lol:

As a female I get these two alot:

"Are you getting a divorce? "

"How are you going to manage having kids in grad school?" (Ugh, I'm not)

"Is your fiance (we're getting married in June - we will be married by then!) going up there with you?" "Is he ok with that?"

(No, he's going to stay here with my dog while I go crash on someone's couch to survive on less than 20K a year.. and he hates the idea. We're already planning our divorce.) *rolls eyes*

"Is your fiance (we're getting married in June - we will be married by then!) going up there with you?" "Is he ok with that?"

(No, he's going to stay here with my dog while I go crash on someone's couch to survive on less than 20K a year.. and he hates the idea. We're already planning our divorce.) *rolls eyes*

It drives me nuts that none of these questions are asked of my male colleagues. I guess it just goes to show how "progressive" we really are.

It drives me nuts that none of these questions are asked of my male colleagues. I guess it just goes to show how "progressive" we really are.

I get asked if my fiance is okay with me applying to a history program and whether she's going to go with me. I tend to think it's people thinking that it's dumb to try to get married before your established. As if I'm gonna wait 8 more years to start my life with the woman I love. Ridiculous.

I get asked if my fiance is okay with me applying to a history program and whether she's going to go with me. I tend to think it's people thinking that it's dumb to try to get married before your established. As if I'm gonna wait 8 more years to start my life with the woman I love. Ridiculous.

I think it's just people not thinking. I feel better assuming they have good intentions and didn't mean to be insulting.

It does make me feel better that some males are being asked the same ridiculous questions about their personal life.

On another note, I love the Llama!

Well ... my husband is in Florida and I'm in Canada. We commute when we can, but we are going to be apart for weeks at a time until I'm ABD, and then there are my research trips. So the questions asking if your significant other is going with you aren't as odd as you may think!

Actual conversation one of my professors had about me:

Professor A: Student wants to go and get a dual masters.

Professor B: Oh, that's nice. How old is she?

Professor A: She'll be 20 when starting her programs.

Professor B: That's too young!

Professor A: She is one of those students born at 30. I think she can handle it.

^^ I hate it when professors, parents, family, etc. tell me I can't do something or I can't handle it. If I did high school and college in 3 years each, I think I can handle this. Go worry about your own research (or lack thereof).

Actual conversation one of my professors had about me: Professor A: Student wants to go and get a dual masters. Professor B: Oh, that's nice. How old is she? Professor A: She'll be 20 when starting her programs. Professor B: That's too young! Professor A: She is one of those students born at 30. I think she can handle it. ^^ I hate it when professors, parents, family, etc. tell me I can't do something or I can't handle it. If I did high school and college in 3 years each, I think I can handle this. Go worry about your own research (or lack thereof).

Wow, really? I think 3/3 would make me more impressed by/ confident in your scholarship.

I love when ppl ask me "have you read..." and then it's some random pop history book they found or historical fiction.

Or when people are all, "OMG HAVE YOU READ HOWARD ZINN'S* BOOK ON AMERICAN HISTORY?"

So I say, "No I haven't but I'll look for it."

*note: I have absolutely nothing against this book.

Edited by Gene Parmesan

Well ... my husband is in Florida and I'm in Canada. We commute when we can, but we are going to be apart for weeks at a time until I'm ABD, and then there are my research trips. So the questions asking if your significant other is going with you aren't as odd as you may think!

Chime. The "two-body problem" is very real for academics. That people are asking about this may well suggest that they understand academia more than they've received credit for. This only becomes increasingly (and significantly so) complicated as you get older, your significant other's career becomes more specialized and potentially less mobile, and so on.

Or when people are all, "OMG HAVE YOU READ HOWARD ZINN'S* BOOK ON AMERICAN HISTORY?"

So I say, "No I haven't but I'll look for it."

*note: I have absolutely nothing against this book.

Lol, I've gotten this one before.