Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

Just to chime in and suggest that you should consider a reach school or two that you don't consider a great fit. I applied to Princeton thinking it wasn't a great fit and thought I would't get in and that's where I went. It turns out the admissions committees know pretty well, and often better than you do, what is a great fit for their programs.

I ended up applying to about 8 places and had "good fits" and "ok fits" all over my personal ranking. I totally had my heart set on a particular PoI and it blinded me that I was a horrible fit there. The other thing to remember is that a lot of the Ivy's have been hiring lately (read poaching) senior scholars from the great public universities. We hired five professors this year, two of them with tenure and I don't even know what happened with the Center for Gender and Sexuaity job that they were also looking at historians for.... they're not on our website at all yet. And the most obvious fit for me when I was in cycle was a recent senior hire who wasn't on the website either during my cycle.

As for my advise on the SoP... I would suggest if at all possible trying to describe how you came to your research interest, not just as personal narrative but as thought process. Explain the germ of your idea about your research interest. Don't be afraid to have strong ideas. I started out describing a moment in my process as an undergrad where I was going to do something completely different and the world changed how I think of things. I was going to be a geologist and Katrina disillusioned me about a great many things about science.

Edited by New England Nat

I am currently entering my last year of undergraduate study at Purdue University. My degree involves a double major in political science and history as well as a minor in sociology. Academically my interests lie in the intersectionality of American society and the legal system. Particularly in issues surrounding citizenship including race, gender, and sexual orientation.

Just as a heads up you should totally apply to Princeton. That sounds like a wonderful marriage of someone Dirk Hartog, Margot Canaday and Kevin Kruse would be interested in, and we just hired in latino history someone whose job talk was about linguistics and citizenship.

@New England Nat--

I really do wish you'd post more often.

It all kind of depends on how crazy my life is and I figured I'd wait until the next set of applicants started posting. ;)

That and it saves me from my pile of legal documents from the 1980s I should have been reading today.

It all kind of depends on how crazy my life is and I figured I'd wait until the next set of applicants started posting. ;)

That and it saves me from my pile of legal documents from the 1980s I should have been reading today.

Well just know that if SL isn't around this next cycle, the position of man crush becomes totally available ... just saying

Well just know that if SL isn't around this next cycle, the position of man crush becomes totally available ... just saying

Being as I'm a woman that's both flattering and a little disturbing. Finished a draft of my first year research paper today so I'm happy. Are you applying again next cycle?

I think Sigaba's point is very valid, and actually applies to other fields as well.

While many of you have taken my previous post in useful directions and have offered very sound guidance, I think I need to clarify the specific purpose of my questions.

The American Civil War is a point of intersection for several trajectories of historiographical debate. While there is a tremendous amount of overlap among these trajectories, an aspiring graduate student in history can save herself some heartache if she knows where she fits--if only provisionally--in the mix. For example, an Americanist studying the Civil War might focus on specific campaigns, pivotal battles, the politics of command, state building, politics, gender and gender identity, culture, race, class, religion, diplomacy, and battles to address the enduring question "Why did the North win/the South lose the war?" and to discuss the war as a chapter of American history.

By contrast, a military historian might look at the American Civil War as part of the sprawling debate over the rise of "modern" warfare. This focus might lead to an emphasis on the formulation of grand strategy, the dynamic relationship between grand strategy and military strategy, evolving concepts of operations, tactics, logistics, advances in military technology, the influence of theorists on both sides of the Atlantic, armed service professionalism, joint and combined operations, and the concept of "military effectiveness." These approaches allow the Civil War to serve as a chapter of Western/modern/American military history.

MOO, given the state of professional academic history, it is significantly easier to answer the question "So what?" if one approaches the Civil War from the vantage point of an Americanist. Conversely, making the case for the continued relevance of military history within the Ivory Tower might require an added layer (or two) of historiographical nuance.

My $0.02.

Edited by Sigaba

Having sat as an observer on a search committee for a civil war job this year it's worth remember it's a bit of a goldie locks field. Everyone thinks they know what their idea of a civil war historian is, and it's never the same thing. I am not of this school, but there are some who say the field is stale, and even though I will defend that there is some really fascinating stuff coming out of the civil war these days.... there is also a lot that is stale.

Totally recommend two books from Unv. Georgia Press lately. Ruin Nation about destruction and the war, and Lisa Brady's War Upon the Land, an environmental history of the civil war. And despite the fact that it's depressing as hell, Drew Guilpin Faust's last book isn't to be missed.

I'll be applying for Fall 2013 cycle, too!

Totally in the same boat as far as trying not to get so overwhelmed already while trying to navigate through this process.

I've been teaching full time at a university in Indiana (Art and Art History Survey) and am so ready to go back to school.

Very nice to meet all of you.

I'll be applying for Fall 2013 cycle, too!

Totally in the same boat as far as trying not to get so overwhelmed already while trying to navigate through this process.

I've been teaching full time at a university in Indiana (Art and Art History Survey) and am so ready to go back to school.

Very nice to meet all of you.

Welcome to the party!! :P

I've decided to throw my hat in ring for Fall 2013 as well.

Right now I'm trying to figure out my SOPs and prepare for the GRE. I believe my list of schools is pretty much set. These forums have been a huge source of information already. I'm looking forward to going through this process with you all!

I've decided to throw my hat in ring for Fall 2013 as well.

Right now I'm trying to figure out my SOPs and prepare for the GRE. I believe my list of schools is pretty much set. These forums have been a huge source of information already. I'm looking forward to going through this process with you all!

Welcome and glad to have you in the mix! :)

Hi! I'm applying for Fall 2013 as well!

I'm halfway through my Masters degree in Museum Studies and interning at the Museum of Russian Icons. I plan to focus on imperial russian history. I'll end up applying for both Masters and PhD programs. Any other russian history people out there?

I have a question about LORs. Please let me know if this isn't appropriate for this thread.

Is it absolutely necessary to have recommendations from multiple History professors? I believe I can get three solid recommendations, but two of the professors in question are in disciplines outside of History (German and Women's Studies).

My current plan is to ask my "mentor" in the History department for a rec. I've taken multiple courses with him and I've discussed my future plans in detail with this professor. I believe he has a strong grasp of my research interests and potential as a historian. I also intend to ask my Women's Studies advisor and my language advisor for LORs. Both professors have expressed an interest in my future plans and have been very supportive of my academic goals.

My dilemma is that some of the programs I'm interested in require three recommendations. Will it be an issue having two recommendations from scholars outside of my field? At this time I don't think think I'll have a strong enough relationship with another history professor before the Fall 2013 application deadlines. Ideally I would have my actual History advisor write me a rec, but I won't be taking my thesis seminar until Spring 2013. Generally he doesn't write recommendations until he's taught a student three times.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I think the two non-History professors have a good grasp of my interests outside of history. Generally I've taken an interdisciplinary approach within their classes by combining my interests in history and their respective disciplines.

Thanks!

I don't think that should be an issue, especially if you are looking at German or European history. The women's study adviser I'd worry about least because often historians are hired in women's studies departments. They might not be a historian but the adcoms may not know it.

It's better to have recommendations from people who know your work well rather than ones who do not. A recommendation that says "he took x course from me and got Y grade" are essentially wasting your chance to sell yourself. The best thing to remember about letter writers is that they need to be people who will have a particular narrative about you.

I agree that it would be the best to have recommendations from experts in your prospective field of study who can give insightful comments on your work. It is, however, not absolutely required, at least from my own experience. All of my recommendations came from professors who specialize in politics and international relations (mostly among Western nations) rather than East Asian history. And yes, like New England Nat mentioned, another crucial thing is that those writing your recommendation need to know you and your work well.

Edited by alleykat

It's better to have recommendations from people who know your work well rather than ones who do not. A recommendation that says "he took x course from me and got Y grade" are essentially wasting your chance to sell yourself. The best thing to remember about letter writers is that they need to be people who will have a particular narrative about you.

Thank you for the reassurance. I believe these three professors know me the best out of everyone at my school. I should be able to get three solid recommendations at the very least. The rest is up to the adcoms anyway!

I agree that it would be the best to have recommendations from experts in your prospective field of study who can give insightful comments on your work. It is, however, not absolutely required, at least from my own experience. All of my recommendations came from professors who specialize in politics and international relations (mostly among Western nations) rather than East Asian history. And yes, like New England Nat mentioned, another crucial thing is that those writing your recommendation need to know you and your work well.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm glad it worked out for you. I think at this point, these may be my three strongest options.I just need to ask my German culture professor, but I don't think that should be an issue. Thank you again!

Edited by crackerjacktiming

I have a question about LORs. Please let me know if this isn't appropriate for this thread.

Is it absolutely necessary to have recommendations from multiple History professors? I believe I can get three solid recommendations, but two of the professors in question are in disciplines outside of History (German and Women's Studies).

My current plan is to ask my "mentor" in the History department for a rec. I've taken multiple courses with him and I've discussed my future plans in detail with this professor. I believe he has a strong grasp of my research interests and potential as a historian. I also intend to ask my Women's Studies advisor and my language advisor for LORs. Both professors have expressed an interest in my future plans and have been very supportive of my academic goals.

My dilemma is that some of the programs I'm interested in require three recommendations. Will it be an issue having two recommendations from scholars outside of my field? At this time I don't think think I'll have a strong enough relationship with another history professor before the Fall 2013 application deadlines. Ideally I would have my actual History advisor write me a rec, but I won't be taking my thesis seminar until Spring 2013. Generally he doesn't write recommendations until he's taught a student three times.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I think the two non-History professors have a good grasp of my interests outside of history. Generally I've taken an interdisciplinary approach within their classes by combining my interests in history and their respective disciplines.

Thanks!

MOO, you should do what you can to develop your relationship with another history professor so that you have the option of asking this person for a letter of recommendation.

I also think that you might benefit from doing additional research on the programs you would like to attend. Find out how members of the faculty position themselves on the issues of interdisciplinary approaches to history and women's studies.

The House of Klio remains in disarray. Even when there is broad agreement over how the forest should be tended, there can be intense disagreement when it comes time to talk about trees, boughs, branches, and leaves.

Edited by Sigaba

Well this is slightly disheartening. It's been my dream for a few years (once I settled on working in Archives) to work at the Smithsonian. And here I am, interning at the Smithsonian and I kind of hate it. Part of it might because I'm very much an intern (though I'm treated very nicely and professionally) and it's just not what I was expecting. Some days I'm super busy but it's with scanning for paying customers or updating their databases by creating finding aids. I don't do research for the historians who stop through our door and I really don't get involved in the collections. So that of course, could be part of it.

Which begs the question - how many times do you get experiences in your potential future job and dislike them before deciding it's not for you? Is once enough? Twice?

I ask because my plans for graduate school hinge on the fact I love working in Archives.

Well this is slightly disheartening. It's been my dream for a few years (once I settled on working in Archives) to work at the Smithsonian. And here I am, interning at the Smithsonian and I kind of hate it. Part of it might because I'm very much an intern (though I'm treated very nicely and professionally) and it's just not what I was expecting. Some days I'm super busy but it's with scanning for paying customers or updating their databases by creating finding aids. I don't do research for the historians who stop through our door and I really don't get involved in the collections. So that of course, could be part of it.

Which begs the question - how many times do you get experiences in your potential future job and dislike them before deciding it's not for you? Is once enough? Twice?

I ask because my plans for graduate school hinge on the fact I love working in Archives.

annieca--

How long have you been interning?

Have you told your supervisor that you are not having a positive experience? I know the few museum internships I've had in the past the problem was getting assigned certain tasks and not speaking up when I wasn't learning something or not enjoying the task. A lot of times you need to be clear right off the bat with what you want out of this internship, especially if it is your dream institution. I intern at a small Russian museum in Massachusetts and my supervisor wants me to have the best experience while also preforming "intern" tasks (answering phones, filing, stuffing envelopes, etc).

I agree with Sigaba and alyss. Congratulations on a Smithsonian internship! You should feel accomplished.

Internships are what you make of it. I won't name where I interned but I can tell you, good supervisors care about their interns and want to make them happy. You don't get paid well (or at all) for what you do and the least supervisors owe you is a great learning experience. You need to sit down and explain your future goals and ask what aspect of your internship can help you decide if those future career goals are worth it. When my supervisors realized how much I loved working with one of the editors on a research paper and an instructor on a teaching seminar, they basically left me alone (i.e. reduced the amount of time I do "menial" tasks).

As for doing those menial tasks, take the time to actually read those things you're scanning and the finding aids. You will learn far more than you think! Those two people mentioned above were outside of my geographical and/or thematic area and I've benefited tremendously from our intellectual conversations.

annieca --

You should look around you and see what those with employment are up to. You're on the lowest rung, and while I absolutely agree with everyone that you should ask for more opportunities, you're still just the intern. If it truly seems like no one around you is doing anything interesting, maybe it's time to reconsider (but... maybe even not; you might enjoy a position in another sort of institution, so give that a try too). Your education -- the one you want to get -- is going to afford you many more opportunities, though, so perhaps ask to shadow or help out someone who might have pursued similarly and now is working in your dream job?

I have also worked in archives and always at the lowest positions, as I haven't got a MLIS. I have enjoyed it (because of the materials I'm working with) but it is very monotonous. The work was extremely repetitive, but I found comfort in that since I spent my evenings as a Master's student (in history) and that work -- researching, writing, original thinking-- was very different. That said, I think most archival positions, save for those that are really high up or are purely for research, deal in some part with this monotonous work of cataloguing, etc., so if you really hate it, can't stand it, then sure, this career track might not be for you. But every job has its downsides, and my guess is that you'll soon discover some upsides, as well. Give it a little more time, if you can :)

Edited by lafayette