Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

Getting accepted on a Friday--doesn't get much better than that! Congratulations!

And I'm heading to a beer festival right after I get outta work, so all in all March is lookin' good!

Thanks for the well wishes all

Yeah, I think it's OK, especially if you know of others who have heard things.

I posted a few pages back about how the Davis DGS told me I probably did not get in, and yeah it stung, but he also mentioned a number of positive things about my application which lifted my spirits incredibly. So don't be scared off just for fear of rejection - you're dealing with a person, not a computer, and they don't want  you feeling worthless.

So its okay to email a DGS about your application status?  Has anyone done that and been told that they were rejected?  I bet that's worse than a form rejection letter.

Good question, I was just about to ask the same! Is it okay to call the department and ask or is that a big no-no?

(Never mind, vtstevie already answered my question! Thanks!) 

Edited by Thumbelina

I think the most important thing is not to come across as pestering. But, as we're now in March and people have heard things from many schools, I don't think an e-mail is the worst thing in the world.

In other news, I just got an e-mail with a form letter PDF from Boston University informing me I did not get in. Glad I heard from Temple first!

Congrats to vstevie (I'm so jealous of your participation in that beer festival!) and to all of the others I've missed! What a great day for you all.  :D

I wish I could just send a mass email to all the schools that I've yet to hear from and say "So.......?" But I won't...sigh. :P

Good question, I was just about to ask the same! Is it okay to call the department and ask or is that a big no-no?

What is the worst that can happen? If you seem crazy, maybe that causes someone to second guess an offer for admission and for good reason. Over the past two months, I politely contacted quite a few of the places to which I applied asking about time frames for decisions and they seemed nice and understanding in reply. At first I was just anxious to receive results, but lately I am having to juggle school schedule, work schedule, and campus visits, which is proving quite stressful. Having a general idea when I could expect the rest of my application decisions was pretty important in determining my travel plans. So, whether it seems like pestering or not, sometimes you just need to know some better information than the general February 15 to April 15 range.

What is the worst that can happen? If you seem crazy, maybe that causes someone to second guess an offer for admission and for good reason. Over the past two months, I politely contacted quite a few of the places to which I applied asking about time frames for decisions and they seemed nice and understanding in reply. At first I was just anxious to receive results, but lately I am having to juggle school schedule, work schedule, and campus visits, which is proving quite stressful. Having a general idea when I could expect the rest of my application decisions was pretty important in determining my travel plans. So, whether it seems like pestering or not, sometimes you just need to know some better information than the general February 15 to April 15 range.

I'm sort of conflicted over when to email the DGS vs. a department admin. I know the DGS must be an extraordinarily busy person who also has academic responsibilities, while an admin works full time on this stuff. At the same time, an admin might not be privy to the same knowledge and might have to ask a DGS anyway, and either way it might look ridiculous for an applicant not to go straight to the DGS.

And I'm heading to a beer festival right after I get outta work, so all in all March is lookin' good!

Thanks for the well wishes all

Beer festival!?  :o Lucky!

I think my friends are more excited about this than I am, if that's possible. They already dragged me to happy hour  :P

CarrieLe5 and vtstevie, did your unofficial emails have funding info included? I'm waiting on Temple info myself!

Nope, no info. The DGS told me to ask if I had any questions, so I just asked if funding info would be included in the official notification (which arrives in two weeks, he said). I haven't heard back from him though.

and Zephyr, sorry to hear that.

BU rejection, which would make a grand total of 7 (two of which, Harvard and ND, are presumed) with no acceptances. Starting to wonder what in all hell I could've done wrong. Still waiting on Chicago and Harvard Divinity's MTS.

Edited by telkanuru

BU rejection, which would make a grand total of 7 (two of which, Harvard and ND, are presumed) with no acceptances. Starting to wonder what in all hell I could've done wrong. Still waiting on Chicago and Harvard Divinity's MTS.

It's most likely not about you.  It's a combination of everybody else and the small amount of spots available.  There aren't enough chairs for everyone that wants a seat.  There are going to be more people standing up than sitting down.

Thanks for the information on emailing DGSs ya'll.  I kept it polite and did not pester.  I ended with "Could you hurry the f**k up already," but the smiley face after clearly indicated I was joking.  Oh wait, I forgot the smiley face.

CarrieLe5 and vtstevie, did your unofficial emails have funding info included? I'm waiting on Temple info myself!

CoffeeKofenya, hopefully you will hear from Temple soon! I just received an "official" email from the DGS about ten or so minutes ago. Unfortunately, the DGS still had no news on funding.

I've got (barely) a little more info on Temple funding. Message me - don't get your hopes up, though. I don't have any useful information about funding, just a general sense. 

From the sounds of it from others on this board, medieval has been a very difficult field this year. It may have had nothing to do with your application at all.

Is anyone else gathering that the cohort sizes are smaller than in previous years? I've heard that from a couple schools. Georgetown, for instance, admitted 9 PhD students.

This is the experience in my current program as well.  They are reducing the number of admits to the PhD program for the incoming cohort.  As a result, a lot of very high-quality candidates are being offered admission to the MA instead.  Not sure where that leaves the MA applicants...