Toronto OISE MA Counselling?

omigoshlolz

I do not have any work experience. I do, however, have research experience. She caught me off-guard since I wasn't expecting a call or to discuss my application.

I tried to stay away from saying things like becoming a counsellor--My prof at Waterloo told me in specific that potential supervisors are wary of applicants whose interests are limited to counselling work, in opposed to research.

i am more interested in providing psychotherapy instead of researching...so I am a little confused by myself if I want to pursue a M.A. in psy. I have been told that a M.A. in social work is more appropriate if I am only interested in counseling works. Can we become a counselor with a M.A. in counseling psy?

From what I heard, you're absolutely right about the type of work that's involved in M.A. in social work; Social work places a strong emphasis on the practice of psychotherapy and other interventions. Students in Social Work heavily invest in counselling work, in opposed to academic related skills like research techniques, statistics, etc...

Yes, you can become a counsellor after the completion of M.A. in Counselling Psychology.

If your goal is to become a counsellor, then perhaps M.A. in social work or M.ed in Counselling Psychology would be more suitable. Although not necessary, but generally speaking, POI expects their "Masters of Art in Psychology" students to continue onto "Ph.D in Psychology", and so applicants whose academic ambition ends with a M.A. degree may be at a disadvantage.

Sad to break this, but I believe OISE has already sent out acceptances info to successful candidates. For those of us who got rejected, we should receive an e-mail from the registrar's office next week.

When I went to check last year's admission statistics for OISE, the date no longer shows as March 2011. Instead, it indicates "as of March 2012". 8 candidates were admitted to M.A. Counsel Psych program, 6 of which have already accepted the offer.

http://www.ro.oise.utoronto.ca/RO_Official.htm

Sad to break this, but I believe OISE has already sent out acceptances info to successful candidates. For those of us who got rejected, we should receive an e-mail from the registrar's office next week.

When I went to check last year's admission statistics for OISE, the date no longer shows as March 2011. Instead, it indicates "as of March 2012". 8 candidates were admitted to M.A. Counsel Psych program, 6 of which have already accepted the offer.

http://www.ro.oise.u...RO_Official.htm

OMG...so sad

Pretty much, unless those 8 successful candidates decide to not take the offer. There is still a chance that we make it to the waiting list.

but there are 6 of them already accept the offer? so does it mean there are two available position for people on the waiting list?

do you know who interviewed u? maybe you can ask her abt it?

Not to give false hope, but when I look at that link, it's true that it says "as of March 1st, 2012", but all of the stats state that they are for 2011/2012. To me, that indicates that they've updated their statistics for the 2011/2012 class, to be current as of March 2012. 8 MA offers were made, 6 were accepted for the 2011/12 academic year.

The class you're applying for is 2012/2013, is it not? Therefore this in no way indicates that you have all been rejected at this point in time.

Maybe I'm wrong - I'm not applying to this program at all, I just looked at it out of curiosity; maybe that gives me a bit more objectivity. If I am wrong, then I apologize. But if I am right, then don't lose hope yet.

Not to give false hope, but when I look at that link, it's true that it says "as of March 1st, 2012", but all of the stats state that they are for 2011/2012. To me, that indicates that they've updated their statistics for the 2011/2012 class, to be current as of March 2012. 8 MA offers were made, 6 were accepted for the 2011/12 academic year.

The class you're applying for is 2012/2013, is it not? Therefore this in no way indicates that you have all been rejected at this point in time.

Maybe I'm wrong - I'm not applying to this program at all, I just looked at it out of curiosity; maybe that gives me a bit more objectivity. If I am wrong, then I apologize. But if I am right, then don't lose hope yet.

yea,,,we ARE applyin for the 12-13 yr. now i look at the states carefully,,it is exactly the same number. Also, it is still March, there is no way they are able to count the New Admissions right?

Omg!! i totally freaked out with that.. until i went further and read the post that explained it was 2012-13.. phew omg.. thank you so much lattelove! I owe you everything. I bummed really hard when i went and saw the stats...thank you thank you thank you!!!

Just received a letter today from OISE, which states that I am on a wait list. Happy and sad... Happy is that I am qualified and the fact that I might actually get in... but it sucks that I have to be all miserable for another 2 months. Anyhow, good luck to all; to those who plans to withdraw your admission of offer, please do so so I can get in :D.

Just received a letter today from OISE, which states that I am on a wait list. Happy and sad... Happy is that I am qualified and the fact that I might actually get in... but it sucks that I have to be all miserable for another 2 months. Anyhow, good luck to all; to those who plans to withdraw your admission of offer, please do so so I can get in :D.

hey, are you a current student at u of waterloo? i am wondering do you have any infomation about the grad school admission at psy department? i saw a whole bunch of rejection on thegradcafe last month, then there is nothing post, no acceptance and no waitlist. my app status on "quest" is still "no decision has been made by the department". what does it mean? and i emailed the my poi, he says he will not be reviewing new app this year, but then why isnt my app rejected since my poi is not even available for new student?

hey, are you a current student at u of waterloo? i am wondering do you have any infomation about the grad school admission at psy department? i saw a whole bunch of rejection on thegradcafe last month, then there is nothing post, no acceptance and no waitlist. my app status on "quest" is still "no decision has been made by the department". what does it mean? and i emailed the my poi, he says he will not be reviewing new app this year, but then why isnt my app rejected since my poi is not even available for new student?

It may take a while for Quest to be updated. He's not the only POI that you enrolled right? If so, then perhaps your other POIs are still reviewing your application or maybe a letter of notification is on it's way.

I am interested in knowing how many applicants got onto the wait list for M.A. Counselling Psychology at OISE this year and last year.