Toronto OISE MA Counselling?

omigoshlolz

The experiences I've heard are similar to what happyveggie described. Although the people I've talked to also said it was difficult to find work in a private practice where the supervisor didn't charge exorbitant supervision fees for substandard supervision, and almost impossible to find work in community, hospital or other settings that would accept an online degree.

Well I suppose I am in a different situation where I am working in a counselling agency where my supervisor will accept the online degree in order for me to move up to a psychotherapist position. Regardless, I really appreciate you guys sharing what you have heard about the program! :D 

Again, as I have mentioned earlier my goal ultimately is to pursue a thesis based masters and move on to doctoral level studies but perhaps it will be a longer road for me. Maybe I can pursue a second masters with a thesis down the road?

Its funny though that I am already discussing my plan b options without even having heard from oise :P I will definitely share my results here either way

I spent the whole time between my first application submission and my first acceptance discussing my plan B's haha. :P

Yorkville would probably be a great option in your scenario! Especially since you could stay at your current job while completing your degree.

So..... I suppose this is good news and bad news- I got waitlisted for the M.Ed program but they won't tell me where on the waitlist I stand. The letter says they will let me know within the next 2 months. I guess a small part of me is happy that they at least think im good enough to be waitlisted.

This may be irrelevant but I was wondering if someone could tel me what they mean by this "Very rarely, a technically inadmissable application occupies a place on the waitlist. If so, non-standard admission must be approved prior to an offer to admission"  

To me that just sounds like something they put on there as a standard CYA sort of thing. The only way I could see them putting technically inadmissable (e.g. below the department's official GPA cut-off of B+ in the final year) applications on the waitlist would be if the applicant pool was completely abysmal. Looking at application stats for past years, the MEd usually gets about 300-350 applications for ~45 spots, so it would be hard to believe they'd ever have to consider putting sub-B+ applicants on the waitlist. If you're on there I think you at least stand a chance at getting in, so congrats! :)

Edited by Djentbot

Yea thats what I figured, I just wasnt sure if they meant that I was a "technically inadmissible" student (though I meet their GPA requirements...)

This is irrelevant but I saw the Canada Post van outside my house and I waited by my mailbox to get the mail. I felt silly doing it but I was dying to know! :P 

As weird as it is I've been religiously checking my mailbox now that I know they've sent the official letters, even though I know mine is a rejection. I guess I just want to know what they list as the reason. :P

Lol yea and now I have to wait for a possible phone call saying that I got in!

I am tempted to inquire from them where on the wait list I am positioned but I don't want to pester them especially around this time since they are probably swamped with emails and phone calls

I'm sure Todd hates my guts after all my emails and calls throughout the application process. Maybe that explains the rejection. :P

Good luck! Hopefully your phone call comes sooner rather than later.

I hope I get a phonecall period lol

Aww I'm sure he got bombarded by emails/phone calls from plenty of other applicants as well. But that is exactly the reason why I am hesitant to email or call him to inquire about my rank on the wait list. 

But at least I am starting to feel a bit encouraged to apply again next year with more experience and to apply broadly as well

I am in Vancouver and still haven't received anything from U of T. I am assuming it would take at least until the end of the week to get here from Toronto if they sent out the letters on Monday. I was pretty much expecting to hear back from all 3 schools I applied to this week but I guess "end of March" could also be next week... 

Edited by happyveggie

My friend who also lives in Vancouver got her letter today stating that she is waitlisted for the Counselling MEd. It was dated March 20th. I live in a different part of Vancouver but Van is not that big that it should take an additional day to get a letter delivered. It's starting to really frustrate me because I applied to 3 programs at U of T and I think I have decent qualifications (this is apparently not just my wishful thinking, I've been told this by many supervisors and professors I've had) yet I haven't heard anything at all.  I know there are a number of factors at play with the selection process and I might hear back soon but why can't they just send a 2 line email regarding one's status and that the letter with more details will be arriving soon when they mail it off? What if someone never receives their letter because it got lost in the mail etc.? 

Edited by happyveggie

Hey everyone! Have acceptances for the Counselling MEd program at U of T been sent out yet? I also applied to the Counselling MEd program and have heard nothing regarding my status. At this point, it's safe to assume I've been rejected.

Edited by mcruk

@happyveggie I can imagine your frustration!! :( You have been waiting a while but you always have the option to call the admissions at oise and confirm with them. I know its frustrating to feel like you have all the qualifications for the program and not make it. I felt that way too when I saw my letter of rejection the first time and wait list this time.

I work full time in a position where I have direct client interaction and I have received extensive training so it baffles me as to what kinds of experiences the accepted applicants have. Maybe it was their grades? Or letters of recommendation? There may be a chance you may have been neither rejected nor accepted but wait listed though. What other programs have you applied to? 

@mcruk As I said to the poster above, I had started to assume that I was rejected too but you may have ended up on the wait list too? I say if you don't hear anything past mid April, call the department and inquire about your status :)

I have also applied to MEd in Counselling Psychology at OISE and haven't heard anything! This is my first time applying, my undergrad was in healthsci, my GPA is 3.28 cumulative and 3.49 for the last 2 years on a 4.3 GPA scale. Does anyone know what the entering GPA is? I know the cut off, but I'm curious as to around what GPA they accept. I know some of you have mentioned it could be a lot to do with your statement and experience, but I am curious. I feel like my GPA is what is lacking in my application. Does anyone also know the likelihood of a non-psyc student getting in? Are chances higher or lower?

I also thought I would let you know that my friends is in the program right now and she recieved her acceptance las year early April. I think it is still possible that there are acceptances going around (especially since I don't believe I've heard of one confirmed on this website). The only one is toughcookie's waitlist, correct?

Please let me know what you folks think! I am literally driving myself crazy not knowing. I am okay with not getting in because I have a plan either way, but I'd like to know that plan ASAP so I can start structuring the next 6 months of my life. WHYYYY doesn't uoft send an email....

Also ToughCookie would you mind sharing your education background and GPA? Clearly you are a strong applicant if you are waitlisted. I am crossing my fingers for you! I think there is a great possibility you'll get in. I've known many people in my life that have been waitlisted for their desired programs and they've all gotten in - not that that's statistically relevant at all, but hey, it makes you feel better right? lol.