Toronto OISE MA Counselling?

omigoshlolz

I hate to be the bearer of bad news to anyone in this thread, but I was just in touch with the registrar's office and they confirmed that all offers for the MA counselling and clinical program were sent out 2 weeks ago and all accepted applicants have been contacted by their POI.

Yea I can imagine he must be swamped with all the emails from applicants, that's why I got my questions answered during the summer when he might not have been so busy

And that sucks that they've already contacted the accepted applicants so now the ones who are rejected must pretty much just wait for the letter :( (congrats to those who got in though!)

Now I'm getting even more scared to wait 2 weeks to get my response from them!!

I used to know someone in the clinical program a few years back and she had said that the POI usually calls and briefly chats with the applicant (I guess like an informal interview) they've accepted. I guess it makes sense because they're going to be working closely with this person so they'd like to get to know them I suppose

But I'm wondering if they call M.Ed applicants too? Or just mail them all..

Todd just emailed me back a few minutes after I got off the phone with the registrar's office. I now know 100% that I've been rejected. Honestly, it feels like a weight off my shoulders in a way. At least I know where I'll be in the fall now.

I have no idea about the M.Ed, but where it's not a thesis based program I imagine they just send out mailings because there wouldn't be a need for that direct interaction with a POI.

Thanks! And yeah, I'm not really that shaken up or anything. Western had a looooot of advantages over OISE for me, and I honestly think I'll feel more at home in this program.

Thanks! And yeah, I'm not really that shaken up or anything. Western had a looooot of advantages over OISE for me, and I honestly think I'll feel more at home in this program.

It's easier to receive the rejection when you already have something in your hand  :) . For me, the UWO program looks like an amazing program, I'm sure that you will get a lot of satisfaction attending it. However, I can see that you also applied for  two social work  programs. So, do you prefer counselling rather than social work?

Social work was more of a plan B for me. I'm definitely more interested in counselling and I already formally accepted UWO's offer so if I get accepted anywhere else I'll be declining other offers right away to open up a spot on the waitlist.

Yea I personally find that the courseload in the social work programs just don't pique my interest as much as the counselling psych program does. If I don't get into the oise counselling program this year, I may open my mind up to social work programs. 

Although I would've LOVED to pursue thesis based programs, my grades are just not competitive enough :(

I understand:) This is my preference too, but I noticed that it is a better work market for social workers. I am a mature student,I have a family and I settled in Canada two years ago (everything is still new for me) so my ultimate goal is to be skilled for existent  work positions not just to enjoy going to school. However, I only have one acceptance so far :)

One acceptance is still an accomplishment! :) 

I am still dying to hear back from my program, it is killing me! Lol besides my ROSI status hasn't changed so it's not giving me a positive feeling about my chances :(

I know a few practicing counselling psychologists, and the jobs are definitely there as long as you're willing to consider all work settings and apply broadly. I'm looking at starting a family soon myself so employability has been a big factor in my decision. :)

I know a few practicing counselling psychologists, and the jobs are definitely there as long as you're willing to consider all work settings and apply broadly. I'm looking at starting a family soon myself so employability has been a big factor in my decision. :)

You are absolutely right, and I think that the major difference between us is that you can make an informed decision. I lack  the acquaintances  in the field and what I could conclude from my personal searching was that counselling is not as good as social work in terms of job securing. I can be far away from reality :)

Good luck with your both professional and personal plans.

I suppose it depends on your personal interests and what suits you the best as well as the work setting you see yourself in. And of course there are factors such as starting a family for the both of you.

I am in a position where I am already assuming quite a few of the responsibilities of a therapist in my work, almost as if I were a placement student. And if I start my masters program then I may move into a role as a therapist. So I am not too stressed about securing employment after completing my program. 

@ Mares1325- Have you applied to the counselling and psychotherapy program at oise on a full time or part time basis? Also, I noticed that you have applied for the Couple and Family Therapy program at Guelph- I have never heard of that program but I looked it up and it looks very interesting! :) Something I might consider when/if I apply again

I suppose it depends on your personal interests and what suits you the best as well as the work setting you see yourself in. And of course there are factors such as starting a family for the both of you.

I am in a position where I am already assuming quite a few of the responsibilities of a therapist in my work, almost as if I were a placement student. And if I start my masters program then I may move into a role as a therapist. So I am not too stressed about securing employment after completing my program. 

@ Mares1325- Have you applied to the counselling and psychotherapy program at oise on a full time or part time basis? Also, I noticed that you have applied for the Couple and Family Therapy program at Guelph- I have never heard of that program but I looked it up and it looks very interesting! :) Something I might consider when/if I apply again

I worked several years as a counsellor/psychotherapist in my country, I know what you mean. But the profession was very well held, I found the situation a bit confusing in Canada with all the people who can provide counselling services. Even though I will probably go for social work, what I intend to do is, of course, counseling and therapy.

To OISE I have  applied in a full time basis.

The Guelph couple therapy program looks nice but they only select eight persons yearly. The site doesn't content all the information stacked together, if you read thoroughly you will find all the details. I don't know if this is the only reason for which I wasn't accepted but I didn't meet one of the requirements, more precisely to have the statistic course taken in the last five years.

Oh well it seems like you have some really great and very relevant experiences! I think you'd have a very good chance at getting in :)

If I don't make it this year, then I will consider the program at Guelph as one of my options. It might be a long shot but definitely worth applying to

Few days ago I asked Todd to inquire about my application because I had a deadline to accept/decline the offer from Carleton. The answer was that I didn't get into "this time" :) Good luck to all of you who are still waiting!

I'm sooo sorry to hear! :( But I'm glad that you have some acceptances!

I haven't heard yet but I'm pretty sure I didn't get in either. As I am a previous UofT student, I checked my ROSI status and it hasn't changed :( I'd just like to get my letter from them already so I can move forward

Hi all,

I've been following this thread for a while now and decided to finally join in the conversation. I saw that someone posted in the results section today that they got accepted to the Counselling Psychology program but they didn't specify if it was the MEd or the MA. I applied to 3 programs (School and Clinical Child Psych, Counselling and Clinical and Counselling and Psychotherapy) at OISE but I am pretty sure I didn't get into any of them which is a bit sad after having put in so much time and effort. In any case, being in Vancouver I'm afraid it will take even longer for that dreaded rejection letter to arrive but I feel very similar to ToughCookie that I just want to get my rejection letters so I can move on with my life. I have been checking the forum and the results section obsessively since the end of January and at this point I just want to know so I can plan for next year and somehow work up the motivation to reapply. Sometimes I wish someone had told me how hard it would be to get into grad school or have an actual career with a psych degree before I decided to pursue psychology...! 

Has anyone heard about the Counselling and Psychotherapy MEd admissions and the status with that?

@happyveggie aww sorry to hear that you're stressing about it too! :( 

I know what you mean, I didn't realize until I started getting into applying for grad schools how difficult it can be to secure a spot and start practicing in the field. I was curious too as to whether that person that posted meant the M.Ed or MA program. Have you applied elsewhere? Or just oise?

I am entertaining the thought of applying to Yorkville for counselling psych though I am not too keen on pursuing that program. I'd love to continue on to doctorate level studies and it doesn't seem like I'd get the opportunity to do so with an MA from Yorkville (though I may be wrong).

@ToughCookie yeah this waiting game is really not fun.

I applied to McGill Counselling Psychology Project and Internship concentration, SFU Counselling Psychology MA and OISE. I had an interview at SFU two weeks ago but haven't heard anything yet and I am not expecting to get in. 

One of my coworkers is finishing up her MA from Yorkville and she seems to like it except that they keep changing the requirements and it's a bit harder to get your practicum/supervision hours in, so it takes about 1.5 years after finishing the program to apply for certification as a clinical counselor. I think she was saying the MA from Yorkville should allow one to continue to the doctorate level but I am not sure. And another one of my coworkers is also doing her MA in counselling from Yorkville and also seems to be enjoying the fact that she can still work while doing her MA. I work at a hospital and I just recently heard one of the psychologists question the equivalence of online MA degrees and counselors with this degree getting certified but I think it was mostly her personal opinion that she doesn't think it's a good option. If you're able to find a good practicum placement and supervision, I don't think it should be a disadvantage.

Edited by happyveggie

@ToughCookie

Thank you for your warm words!

Personally I wouldn't go for a program that I am not absolutely sure that  I want it. My understanding is you are very young, take a year off, think deeply of what you want, work in the field, improve your resume and reapply. Make sure that next year you will apply as many programs as you can and the only difficulty that you'll have will be to choose between offers. But this a plan for the next year, as long you didn't hear anything back from OISE it's still hope. Good luck!

I worked with quite a few people who had their MA from Yorkville while I was volunteering at a counselling practice. None of them had much in the way of positive things to say about the program. I'm loathe to say much more publically, but if anyone wants more details feel free to PM me.

Oh yikes! I guess theres very different opinions about the program. Even at my workplace, there are some therapists and other staff who have done their studies at Yorkville and seem to have very opposite opinions about their experiences.

@Djenbot - I'd appreciate it if you could PM me and let me know what you've heard about the program. I haven't applied there or anything but its still nice to know what other people's experiences were with their counselling program :)

@happyveggie- do you mean they keep changing their requirements for admissions or requirements for the degree?

@ ToughCookie - She says that they keep changing the requirements to graduate with the degree in order for it to be equivalent to other MA programs and allow people to register as clinical counselors later on. It's also marketed as much more flexible than it turned out to be, at least for my coworker. She was finding it hard to fit some one the components that required being at the computer at a certain time into her busy schedule. She also had some comments about other students in the program which I won't elaborate on but all in all she said she'd rather have done an in-person program. At the same time, I don't think there are any major disadvantages in terms of becoming a counselor and it is likely a bit easier and also allows for students to keep working while completing the program. 

And another day of hoping for an email or a letter about grad school.... Or for someone to share their results.