FUTURE COLUMBIA MSW STUDENTS (2012)!

Gumball12

I'll be attending Columbia in the Fall! I'm from Long Island, and I'm pretty sure as of now I'm going to be living at home (at least for the first semester to see how it is)- I requested fieldwork on Long Island so hopefully I'll get that and won't have to commute to the city every day!

I too will be attending Columbia this fall! I plan on staying in my apartment, which is near the Columbia neighborhood. I've also been living in NYC and the Upper West Side for almost nine years now, so I'm happy to answer any questions about city living for any transplants out there. :)

I too will be attending Columbia this fall! I plan on staying in my apartment, which is near the Columbia neighborhood. I've also been living in NYC and the Upper West Side for almost nine years now, so I'm happy to answer any questions about city living for any transplants out there. :)

I am coming from Colorado and am pretty clueless about finding housing in the city. My partner will be starting his MPH up at the medical campus, and we are going to apply for the married housing up there. We'll find out in June if we get it or not through the lottery. If we don't and end up having to find our own place, do you think we'll need to come out for a weekend to look or is there any way we could try to rent something from Colorado? Any advice/info would help!! Thanks!

I am coming from Colorado and am pretty clueless about finding housing in the city. My partner will be starting his MPH up at the medical campus, and we are going to apply for the married housing up there. We'll find out in June if we get it or not through the lottery. If we don't and end up having to find our own place, do you think we'll need to come out for a weekend to look or is there any way we could try to rent something from Colorado? Any advice/info would help!! Thanks!

I would absolutely recommend that you visit apartments in person. I've found that many NYC apartment listings tend to embellish details and do not accurately depict what apartments are actually like, so you definitely want to check them out in person. In addition, there tend to be numerous scams on sites like Craigslist, which you might be more exposed to if you're searching out-of-state. I also think it would also be helpful for you to get a sense of the neighborhood you would be living in, and if it feels like the "right fit."

Good luck with the housing lottery! Keeping my fingers crossed for you as you figure out your housing situation. :)

Hi all. Congrats on the acceptance to CUSSW! I can't seem to find a group on Facebook? Please pass on the name if you have it.

Are all of you decided on attending Columbia or are you also considering other schools? At this point I've been accepted to Columbia and University of Denver and I'm waiting to hear back from Fordham and University of Maryland. Honestly, I'm undecided. Columbia is my top choice for reputation, quality academics, and location but I'm a bit concerned about the cost to attend. Fordham isn't ranked as high but has a great reputation in NYC, plus it's significantly cheaper. Denver's program is small, but flexible and has a unique Latino certificate program. Any thoughts you could share on how you made your decision would be greatly appreciated!

Hey,

The person who was gonna create the group emailed CUSSW asking what the protocol would be. He has not heard a response yet. I guess it is up to anyone to create a group! :)

I don't think you need to get permission or find out protocol from CUSSW. Can someone just create the group and post the link here??

I'll do it! Do we want a page or a group? A page is typically open to anyone to join and conversations through wall posts will be open to the public. On the other hand, we can keep group conversation limited to members who have to request to join. (see explanation of the differenc). To create a group I need at least one of you to become my friend on facebook (search for margiehatch@gmail.com).

In terms of page decoration, I won't be able to use the Columbia logo without the schools permission, but I'll find something to stick in there.

Which name will be the most likely to be searched by accepted students? Please respond with your choice:

1. Columbia University School of Social Work Accepted Students (Unofficial)
  2. CUSSW Accepted Students
  3. Future Columbia MSW Students

Please connect with me so we can get this started!

I'll do it! Do we want a page or a group? A page is typically open to anyone to join and conversations through wall posts will be open to the public. On the other hand, we can keep group conversation limited to members who have to request to join. (see explanation of the differenc). To create a group I need at least one of you to become my friend on facebook (search for margiehatch@gmail.com).

In terms of page decoration, I won't be able to use the Columbia logo without the schools permission, but I'll find something to stick in there.

Which name will be the most likely to be searched by accepted students? Please respond with your choice:

1. Columbia University School of Social Work Accepted Students (Unofficial)
  2. CUSSW Accepted Students
  3. Future Columbia MSW Students

Please connect with me so we can get this started!

Hello Everyone!

I just wanted to add my 2cents before we end up with more than 1 group. I think it should be something like CUSSW or Columbia University School of Social Work Class of 2014; otherwise, the other names are too general and will be confusing for future cohorts as well as our own cohort.

Thanks for taking the lead on making the group!